What Language B options does your school offer?

Vvi

Mandarin B SL/HL

Japanese B SL/HL

Japanese ab initio

French B SL/HL

Spanish B SL/HL

No one takes the ab initio course unless they really suck at Japanese though. Pretty much anyone with the self-motivation to go into IB here has at least two years of a language under their belt, not including the mandatory French everyone learns.

At my school English B HL was a compulsory subject; apart from this German B was offered at both HL and SL, and I heard rumours about introducing French Ab Initio, but I don't know whether it was introduced in the end.

Not too much of a choice then.

At the time I was in school we had:

Spanish B HL, SL, and ab initio

French B HL, SL, and ab initio

Latin HL and SL

Occasionally a student did self-study A1 in their native language instead of taking a foreign language but it was really uncommon at my school. The only one I can remember being done recently was Slovak.

• 1 month later...

Swedish B SL and HL, English B SL and HL, German B SL or HL, Spanish B SL or HL, maybe French SL not sure aswell as Spanish AB inito

As Maribell stated, our school offers the previous subjects. I was wondering though, how do subjects get chosen? Are they random or based on demand? 

For MYP5 you will have the choice to chose between French B or Spanish B/AH as your foreign language, this is often based upon what you studied before but of course what you wish to study. Personally I studied German before attending an IB school and our school suddenly decided not to offer it and therefore I had to study Spanish AB inito. 

For Swedish and English we had to do different testing tasks the first week(s?) of school to then be placed in to the classes, even though they stated that it was based on mother tongue. I would guess there statement primarily was made to not cause any conflict lol

For foreign language, I will be forced to take Spanish B as a beginner. I used to take French B in MYP 3 but dumped it for extra Swedish classes in MYP 4. Due to lack of an official grade for French in grade 9, I will have to take Spanish. As for english, I scored a 7 as the final grade according to MYP criteria. Swedish wise, I will be placed in SAL classies. (SAL= Swedish as Additional Language) One can say it's sort of like Swedish B. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...