I am unsure of my Math EE (HL)

Kshady

I am doing my Math EE on cryptography : comparison of RSA and Diffie-Hellman on the basis of mathematical function, ways to solve them, and performance. I just completed it, yet I feel so unsure about it. Is there enough math? Is it too much computer science?, etc. I wrote 3960 words. Any suggestions? Thanks =)

I would suggest that you get both a math teacher and a CS teacher to look over it briefly. You can still change your subject. If you focused on modular arithmetic then it's probably fine as Math EE. If you went for overview and how the two work logistically then maybe CS is better. Length-wise anything over 3000 words is quite long for a Math EE, but nevertheless perfectly acceptable. When you revise, make sure you know whether it is Math or CS, and aim to make the whole essay organized and technical. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but I did my Maths IA on RSA, explaning how it works, etc. I got a 6/6 for use of mathematics, so I believe you should fare well as long as you include detail about modular arithmetic and the phi function, as well as ideas such as Euler's Totient Function. Of course, there could be a different criteria for EEs, but i'm just telling you.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, kw0573 said:

I would suggest that you get both a math teacher and a CS teacher to look over it briefly. You can still change your subject. If you focused on modular arithmetic then it's probably fine as Math EE. If you went for overview and how the two work logistically then maybe CS is better. Length-wise anything over 3000 words is quite long for a Math EE, but nevertheless perfectly acceptable. When you revise, make sure you know whether it is Math or CS, and aim to make the whole essay organized and technical. 

Appreciate your suggestion but the thing is our school does not offer CS. Moreover, I have not discussed much computer related information in the essay at all. So I doubt it'll make the cut for a good CS EE. To give you an overview. I talk about the cryptosystems, the mathematics involved, ways to solve them, etc. On the basis of this research, I then conclude which is more suitable. Maybe it is just the anxiety idk. Thanks for your suggestions much appreciated!

15 hours ago, P13 said:

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but I did my Maths IA on RSA, explaning how it works, etc. I got a 6/6 for use of mathematics, so I believe you should fare well as long as you include detail about modular arithmetic and the phi function, as well as ideas such as Euler's Totient Function. Of course, there could be a different criteria for EEs, but i'm just telling you.

Ya I did all that, except Euler's Totient. Discussed the mathematics for both cryptosystems. Maybe I am just doubting myself. Thanks for the suggestion man!