Got my Math SL exams remarked - they went up by 3 marks!

I noticed a lot of the people on here are worried if they should risk a remark or not. In my opinion, it depends on your current mark, and the subject.

Although the Math SL and HL marks don't tend to move, since they are comparatively more objective than, let's say, English and History, I risked it! I needed just 1 mark to move up from a 5 to a 6 (I had a 64, and the lower grade boundary for a 6 was a 65). I talked to my IB coordinator, and he was hesitant with my decision, as there is a possibility that my mark might go down as well. 

The reason why I decided to get my paper remarked was because of the university applications. If I were to apply to the University of Waterloo as a full IB Diploma student, I needed a minimum of 6 in Math SL. 

The thought I had in mind was that even if my mark does go down, I will still be at a 5. I wasn't as worried, since my in-class grade is a mid-90, and I can apply with my non-IB grade as well. I had nothing to lose. However, if my mark did go up, the option of applying with my IB grades would have also opened up! Towards the end of the school year, I could choose if I want to use my IB grades or non-IB grades. 

So, I decided to pay the $130 to get my Math SL papers remarked, and they came back within 3 days!! I requested a remark on Friday and got the mark back on Monday. I expected it not to change, as it was Math we were talking about, a subject which has a pretty concrete marking scheme. Surprisingly, my mark didn't go up by one, but instead, it went up by 3!! Now, I have a 67! 

Last thoughts?

If any of you are just 1 or 2 marks below the lower boundary of the next higher grade for subjects suck as Maths and Physics, I would totally suggest a remark!!! On the other hand, is more subjective subjects such as World History, English and Languages, if you are 4-6 marks below the grade boundary, by all means, request a remark (only if you believe you deserve a higher grade. Don't get your paper remarked if you thought you should have failed, but you didn't). 

DISCLAIMER!!!!!!!!!!! DON'T GET A REMARK IF YOU ARE CLOSER TO THE LOWER BOUNDARY OF YOUR CURRENT GRADE THAN YOU ARE TO THE UPPER BOUNDARY!!! CAUSE THERE IS A POSSIBILITY OF YOUR GRADE GOING DOWN TO A LOWER GRADE. 

Thanks for sharing! Glad it all worked out.

2 hours ago, AnanyaTrivedi said:

I wasn't as worried, since my in-class grade is a mid-90, and I can apply with my non-IB grade as well. I had nothing to lose. However, if my mark did go up, the option of applying with my IB grades would have also opened up! Towards the end of the school year, I could choose if I want to use my IB grades or non-IB grades. 

In Canada, your final provincial grades are modified based on IB grades. And depending on the province, a 5 covers much of the 80% up to 90-91%. Now many schools try to overcome this with obscure final semester course codes so that the required university admissions courses are in previous semesters. For those reading, do not take compulsory courses in the final semester. If you get a 5, yes it will most likely be in the 80%s and appear as such on the final transcript, but at least it's not a required course. 

Math is actually more likely to overcome a 1% difference than many Group 4. Re-marks simply are not based on examiners' errors for 90% of the re-mark students; but rather human judgement. In Math, there are long problems that allow for partial marks, that different examiners may treat differently. All it takes is ~4% increase on each of paper 1 and 2 to overcome an overall 3% deficit. 

Now in Group 4, first Paper 1 has only one right answer per question. Secondly, there are no long problems in Paper 2 like we have in Math. There is data analysis question in Paper 3 but that is just one question and there is no "error carry forward" in group 4. The student would need about 6% on each of P2 and P3 to overcome an overall 3% deficit. Need more points, but barely any opportunity.

I totally support re-mark Math if 1-2 points below. Physics and other group 4, I'd say only go for them if it absolutely makes a difference. I am not sure about History or other Group 3. But for Group 1, it's basically re-mark default unless a lower grade hurts you (or if you get a 7, congratulations). Suppose the uni treats Literature 5 similar to a 6, but a 7 is really good, then re-mark a low 6 anyways because who knows. The re-mark examiners tend to be more experienced and are more willing to give a mark or two for the essay (a mark in Group 1 paper/WA worth about 4% in that assessment). A small group of examiners are new, and they tend to be more critical, because no one likes to hear "You are being easy on them". My whole point is that in Group 4, 1-2 points below boundary are a lot more difficult to overcome than Math. And if you need one of Math or Group 4 to increase by a grade, try Math first.