Bayview Secondary/St Roberts Pre-IB entrance exam

astudent101

Hey everyone,

As you can tell from the title, I'll be writing the Pre-IB entrance exam for BSS and St Roberts this fall. I got all E's and an overall average of around 92% on my 7th grade final report card, (but I'm not sure how low the acceptance rate for both schools are so I'm not sure if that's enough). Does anyone know roughly how many students get accepted into the program each year? Also, does anyone know how difficult the actual exam is? How much time do you get for each component, roughly how many pages of each component are there and around how many questions are on a page? How hard was each section, and what types of questions were on the exam? Especially French - were there more questions on vocabulary, grammar, or an even mix of both? I've also heard that St Roberts only looks at the IB test results and not your report card - is this true?

I'm sorry for asking so many questions, but I'd like to be prepared as much as possible. If anyone could answer any of those questions or just give any sort of advice, it would be really appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I remember when I was in your shoes...the good old days...jk. I wrote both the St.Rob and BSS exam and I would say...if you don’t struggle with French, Bayview’s exam is easier. I don’t exactly remember the layout/time breakdown, but you should be able to find that information on the school’s respective websites.

St.Rob’s exam is taken out of the CAT practice book (they literally give you the book on exam day and tell you what page to do). So if you are worrying a lot, you could see if you can obtain a copy and do some practices. St.Rob accepts around 180 students a year and in my year, around 650 students applied. The test is math (short contest questions mostly - Gauss section A/easy B questions) and English (reading comprehension - multiple choice question on a series of stories) based. HOWEVER, they do NOT look/consider your report card at all and DON’T have french!

Bayview is a little more work...reading is also reading comprehension with multiple choice, math is a little harder with some longer questions. I see French is your main concern, but worry not! There is no grammar whatsoever. It is very comprehension and vocabulary based. They have some paragraphs of 2-4 sentences and multiple choice questions based on them. They also have some questions where they provide you a word bank and you need to fill in the blank of a few sentences using the words. In addition, there are a few “what doesn’t belong” where a list of words are shown and you circle the one that doesn’t belong in the category of the other words. All the questions are very similar to the ones Bayview put up as examples on the website. Lastly, there is a writing component where they ask you to write a short essay (max 2 pages) on a question they state.

Best of luck to your exams! I’m sure you’ll do great!

19 hours ago, Rebecca1223 said:

Hi!

I remember when I was in your shoes...the good old days...jk. I wrote both the St.Rob and BSS exam and I would say...if you don’t struggle with French, Bayview’s exam is easier. I don’t exactly remember the layout/time breakdown, but you should be able to find that information on the school’s respective websites.

St.Rob’s exam is taken out of the CAT practice book (they literally give you the book on exam day and tell you what page to do). So if you are worrying a lot, you could see if you can obtain a copy and do some practices. St.Rob accepts around 180 students a year and in my year, around 650 students applied. The test is math (short contest questions mostly - Gauss section A/easy B questions) and English (reading comprehension - multiple choice question on a series of stories) based. HOWEVER, they do NOT look/consider your report card at all and DON’T have french!

Bayview is a little more work...reading is also reading comprehension with multiple choice, math is a little harder with some longer questions. I see French is your main concern, but worry not! There is no grammar whatsoever. It is very comprehension and vocabulary based. They have some paragraphs of 2-4 sentences and multiple choice questions based on them. They also have some questions where they provide you a word bank and you need to fill in the blank of a few sentences using the words. In addition, there are a few “what doesn’t belong” where a list of words are shown and you circle the one that doesn’t belong in the category of the other words. All the questions are very similar to the ones Bayview put up as examples on the website. Lastly, there is a writing component where they ask you to write a short essay (max 2 pages) on a question they state.

Thank you so much, you helped me a lot! If you don't mind, I still have a couple (okay maybe more than a couple) questions:

How long ago did you take the test (you don't have to answer if this violates your privacy)?

In the math section for Bayview, would you consider the questions more like section A, B, or C for Gauss?

As for English, did you find it difficult? Do the answers tend to be more obvious ones or are they pretty hard to find due to wording and stuff?

For the personal profile, is it better to write it in essay format or just a couple paragraphs stating your qualities and such?

Talking about personal profiles, what do you even write?

As for St Roberts, what types of questions were there for math (I couldn't fine any CAT question samples online, so I'd probably have to purchase a practice book)?

Were the math and english parts harder than Bayview's? 

Also, do you know if teacher notes/recommendations matter a lot? 

Once again, thank you so so much for the advice! I'm so sorry that I simply just threw another round of questions at you, but I'm very anxious about the test. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I had a website from which I’ve found online CAT questions, so maybe you could try that out:

careerlauncher.com

I’m still not sure if the website provides questions on grade 8 and grade 9 level, but I think it’s worth checking out.

Hope this helped!

15 minutes ago, Rojina said:

Hi! I had a website from which I’ve found online CAT questions, so maybe you could try that out:

careerlauncher.com

I’m still not sure if the website provides questions on grade 8 and grade 9 level, but I think it’s worth checking out.

Hope this helped!

Thank you so much! I'll check out that website right now!

• 1 year later...

Hey, everyone. So... I just read up on the IB entrance exam information and everything else, its' taking place on November the 23rd, which is like, only a month away. Ngl it's way scarier and nerve wrecking when the date of the test is so close. I heard that a big portion of the admission is your grade 7 report card, but my report card from last year is horrible, 88.8 percent average for all of the subjects combined. I honestly don't know anything about the exam and all of the different subjects. In my class rn, I am probably one of the best students in the class educationally (not bragging or anything). The things I was wondering about (if any St. Robs IB students could answer) were:

1. What level/grade will the test be, like what kind of difficulty are we talking about?

2. If any of you know, what subjects will we be tested on?

3. How should I study? I currently am doing lots of PSAT tests

4. I procrastinate way more than the average gr.8 in my class, what should/can I do to stop this, or is it fine and normal to do this? (We're talking about playing videogames during boring classes and copying off of answer sheets when doing the PSATs)

5. Clearly I'm a noob when it comes to IB, what are the advantages and disadvantages when it comes to IB?

6. What is the passing score for the entrance exam? For instance, imagine if I got 85% on the test, will I pass or fail?

7. Finally, I'm feeling very nervous, my parents are expecting a lot from me since I let them down when it came to the gifted test. If I fail, my parents say I'm not getting a good job and life. I've already told my family about this, and my mom told me that being nervous is a good thing. Is it really a good thing and I don't like it, how do I not be anxious? I need a pep talk lol.

Thanks to all who took their time reading all these words and worries! Any advice would help me a ton. Thanks again for helping me!

On 8/30/2019 at 3:57 PM, astudent101 said:

Thank you so much! I'll check out that website right now!

Sorry for the late reply, but it seems like your exam is in May 2022, so you have a ton of time left (more than 2 years! Man, I wish I were that lucky and heard about IB sooner). I really suggest you study a ton. Not really a lot, but like, keep your pace and slowly, but surely, creep up the road to success. I know you can do it!

Again, I apoligize for the late reply, but good luck on your exams and wish me luck! 🎉🎉🎉

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/15/2020 at 7:01 PM, OneR4nk said:

Hey, everyone. So... I just read up on the IB entrance exam information and everything else, its' taking place on November the 23rd, which is like, only a month away. Ngl it's way scarier and nerve wrecking when the date of the test is so close. I heard that a big portion of the admission is your grade 7 report card, but my report card from last year is horrible, 88.8 percent average for all of the subjects combined. I honestly don't know anything about the exam and all of the different subjects. In my class rn, I am probably one of the best students in the class educationally (not bragging or anything). The things I was wondering about (if any St. Robs IB students could answer) were:

1. What level/grade will the test be, like what kind of difficulty are we talking about?

2. If any of you know, what subjects will we be tested on?

3. How should I study? I currently am doing lots of PSAT tests

4. I procrastinate way more than the average gr.8 in my class, what should/can I do to stop this, or is it fine and normal to do this? (We're talking about playing videogames during boring classes and copying off of answer sheets when doing the PSATs)

5. Clearly I'm a noob when it comes to IB, what are the advantages and disadvantages when it comes to IB?

6. What is the passing score for the entrance exam? For instance, imagine if I got 85% on the test, will I pass or fail?

7. Finally, I'm feeling very nervous, my parents are expecting a lot from me since I let them down when it came to the gifted test. If I fail, my parents say I'm not getting a good job and life. I've already told my family about this, and my mom told me that being nervous is a good thing. Is it really a good thing and I don't like it, how do I not be anxious? I need a pep talk lol.

Thanks to all who took their time reading all these words and worries! Any advice would help me a ton. Thanks again for helping me!

Hi, I am very similar to you! I will soon take the IB test for ST Roberts in a few days. I am very anxious as I already did not get into gifted. I am very pressured and my parents have high expectations for me. Hopefully we can both get in.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/15/2020 at 12:55 PM, DerekTheKing said:

Hi, I am very similar to you! I will soon take the IB test for ST Roberts in a few days. I am very anxious as I already did not get into gifted. I am very pressured and my parents have high expectations for me. Hopefully we can both get in.

Yes! I have just taken the test! Its not that hard I promise all of you!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/16/2019 at 8:34 PM, Rebecca1223 said:

Hi!

Do you have the links for the practce tests? I'm going to Alexander Mackenzie do you have any materials for that?

On 2/9/2021 at 9:06 PM, OneR4nk said:

Hello! Sorry for the late reply! As a matter of fact yes I did! However, I am choosing to go to another program as I think it benefits me the most

How did you practice for the Ib entrance exam? Can you send me the links please? I'm going to Alexander Mackenzie High School.

Hi! Im also doing the Ib entrance exam for Alexander Mackenzie High School. I have no idea how to practice nor does the website for the school have anything helpful about the exam. Does anyone know any books/websites that can help with the french and english portion of the exam? Also does anyone have a link for a practice exam?  Do the grade 7 final report card marks weigh a lot on the application?  Sorry for all the questions, but you would be a lifesaver if you could answer them! Thank you and have a nice day.

On 8/9/2022 at 11:49 AM, Par13m said:

Hi! Im also doing the Ib entrance exam for Alexander Mackenzie High School. I have no idea how to practice nor does the website for the school have anything helpful about the exam. Does anyone know any books/websites that can help with the french and english portion of the exam? Also does anyone have a link for a practice exam?  Do the grade 7 final report card marks weigh a lot on the application?  Sorry for all the questions, but you would be a lifesaver if you could answer them! Thank you and have a nice day.

I'm using Khan Academy and I'm practicing SAT questions with the SAT prep books that I borrowed from the library.

8 hours ago, Bhavya17 said:

I'm using Khan Academy and I'm practicing SAT questions with the SAT prep books that I borrowed from the library.

Thank you so much! Sorry just one question do you know about the time of application, info night or exams cause the website only talks about info for 2021-2022. Do you know what’s going to be on the exam? Thank you again

16 hours ago, Par13m said:

Thank you so much! Sorry just one question do you know about the time of application, info night or exams cause the website only talks about info for 2021-2022. Do you know what’s going to be on the exam? Thank you again

I haven't taken the Ib exam yet. I'm looking for advice myself.

3 hours ago, Bhavya17 said:

I haven't taken the Ib exam yet. I'm looking for advice myself.

Ok so Ive been looking for some ways to study and I found this: https://zso2bialystok.pl/pliki/dokumenty_szkolne/test_kompetencji_pre-IB.pdf
Idk if it’s like the real exam but it looks like good pratice for the English part of the exam

4 minutes ago, Par13m said:

Ok so Ive been looking for some ways to study and I found this: https://zso2bialystok.pl/pliki/dokumenty_szkolne/test_kompetencji_pre-IB.pdf
Idk if it’s like the real exam but it looks like good pratice for the English part of the exam

Also this http://www.yrdsb.ca/schools/bayview.ss/IB/50GreatEssays/2014-YRDSB-IBSampleQuestions-v2.pdf

https://ib.gjh.sk/en/testy/

Edited by Par13m