Biology HL IA Help

ClaraOswinOswald

Hi guys, I need some second opinions on my Biology HL IA, I'm doing an experiment on the effect of different carbon dioxide concentrations on the hormone ethylene's ability to ripen unripe pears. It's basically a spin-off of the simple "put-an-unripe-fruit-next-to-a-ripe-banana" experiment in which the ethylene hormone that is released by the ripe bananas helped accelerate the ripening of the fruit next to it, with the added twist of examining the effects of different carbon dioxide concentrations on this phenomenon. The ripeness of the pears would be measured using glucose extraction. 

1) The lab at school has a CO2 sensor that I can use, but I'm a little loss in terms of trapping the carbon dioxide into an airtight container with the fruits for days. My source for CO2 is dried ice. Should I put the dried ice inside the container with the sensor, then wait until it reaches the concentration I need before taking the ice out and quickly placing my fruits inside? 

2) Also, does anyone have a good, clear procedure on extracting glucose concentration from fruits? I found a couple, but some of the steps don't seem to work out for me in reality. They tell me weigh out approximately 1 gram of the fruit sample and then submerge it in 6 ml of distilled water. When I try to mash it up, the fruit sample is just too small. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Or is there a better procedure out there? 

All in all, do you think this is an appropriate Bio HL IA topic or should I reconsider? I have several other options, but this is the one that was approved. My teacher's fine but she's not the most helpful. Any advice would be appreciated! 

- Confused Bio student