Subject choice for genetic engineering

jaanavi29

Hi..I'm in ibdp year 1.My board exam is in November 2020.Currently I have chosen Math hl,chemistry hl,biology hl and english sl,physics sl and french ab initio.I recently found interest in genetic engineering.Are these subjects the best choice for genetic engineering...? Kindly reply..

For an engineering, I strongly recommend taking a math course at HL. For genetic engineering, because it's not engineering in the usual sense of the word, SL may be acceptable. But biomolecular engineering is usually what is offered at universities, and you should take HL for that. If you want a degree in biomolecular engineering instead of biology, than you should take a Math at HL. 

I am not sure how you ended up with your current combination, because you don't have a group 3. You can choose to replace physics SL with a group 3 SL.

Thanks for your reply..

Actually i have opted for non-regular diploma..so that is why i choose physics sl...So in that case is physics sl fine..?or what do you recommend?

And what about forensics..?Will these subject choices apply for forensics also..?I have left my course option  open for forensics also...

Pardon me, I didn't realize that you are Nov 2020 candidate, so you will still be in the current Math syllabus.

If the reason that you want to do Math SL is that you are not very comfortable at math, then this course combination will be very difficult. Otherwise I suppose physics SL is fine.

I am not too sure what major forensics falls under. But the overall combination look fine. 

So genetic engineering is more like a job/career than a degree. If you want an engineering degree, you should stick with Math HL; if you are doing a science, then you can choose to take Math SL instead.

ITGS is neutral to what you are pursuing. You should take the course that has a higher historical average, whether that's ITGS or Physics. 

Hi..When i checked  for the requirements of genetic engineering(for any biotech course) the subject requirements were Chem hl/sl,Bio and English hl(that is if you're school makes it compulsory to take english hl..but that is not the case with my school) and math sl ,language, itgs hl.So now im still confused on what to do...

• Like 1

I am not sure if I am expected to respond, or about what you said in the previous comment. But I'll just say again that if biotech is more science than engineering, then Math SL is fine. If you are really good at Math, then you should take Math HL, otherwise SL. 

• 3 months later...
On 8/11/2019 at 12:52 PM, jaanavi29 said:

Hi..I'm in ibdp year 1.My board exam is in November 2020.Currently I have chosen Math hl,chemistry hl,biology hl and english sl,physics sl and french ab initio.I recently found interest in genetic engineering.Are these subjects the best choice for genetic engineering...? Kindly reply..

hey, I'm in my grade 10 IGCSE at the moment. I'm taking IB in the next few month. I'm highly considering biotech and genetic engineering too. Since its engineering, u definitely have to take HL math. I'M taking HL math maa. and chem is the most important science. Ur right by taking chem HL, I'm taking too. but i'm not taking bio HL, im taking sl bio because bio is not that necessary as its a content-based subject which you can pick up easily even in the future. On the other hand, chemistry is a skill-based subject so u need to build foundation in it. And i'm not taking physics at all, because im not intereseted in doing an irregular diploma with 3 science subjects. Im taking economics SL too and I'm taking Eng lang/lit HL because i really am interested in english

these are my subject choices

HL

Math (MAA)

Chem

Eng(lang/lit)

SL

Bio

Econs

Spanish (Ab initio)

Hope u may find this useful. and good luck