Math AI SL

uhhliney

I didnt quite reach the grades to be able to do Math AI HL 

I mean I got a 6, borderline 7 at GCSE but I needed an 8 to be able to do AI HL. The thing is that SL is way too easy, and nobody will care about it, especially if I want to be able to proceed with my career as a pilot (as y'know its math oriented). My school says that SL and HL is the same in the first year and that I can switch if I do well. 

First, I want to know if this is true. Can't trust the people at school for some reason. I know its true for English 

And second, can I please have some helpful advice for Math AI SL so I can switch to HL and maintain some respect in the math community lolol

I basically straight up neglected GCSE Math and cant let that happen with IB as well so yeah

Hey, I'm an Indian student who has Math AI HL, I had an A in Math in my iGCSEs and my school allowed me take Math AI HL.

Let me tell you that it is not a good idea to shift mid IB from SL to HL as firstly, HL encompasses a huge amount of  extra work and content which is covered at a faster pace than SL while being studied simultaneously with the SL course,  which is a subset of the HL course. Secondly, it is not prudent as HL papers are much tougher than SL ones in that they have more questions overall which are very twisted in nature. Thirdly,  HL paper3 will need a. lot of practice, so covering up in a year's time might pose as challenge; an even bigger one if you have very tough HLs like Physics and Chemistry (which I'm assuming you do since you want to become a pilot).

However, you should aim at taking math AA HL as universities require them if you apply for Science based courses, which I assume you will be applying for since  you want to become a pilot. Math AA Hl is. calculus heavy and it helps if you had additional math as a. subject in GCSEs. Anyway, I ask your school for Math AA HL, they might give it to you. 

On 9/13/2019 at 2:57 PM, AyushJain022103 said:

Hey, I'm an Indian student who has Math AI HL, I had an A in Math in my iGCSEs and my school allowed me take Math AI HL.

Let me tell you that it is not a good idea to shift mid IB from SL to HL as firstly, HL encompasses a huge amount of  extra work and content which is covered at a faster pace than SL while being studied simultaneously with the SL course,  which is a subset of the HL course. Secondly, it is not prudent as HL papers are much tougher than SL ones in that they have more questions overall which are very twisted in nature. Thirdly,  HL paper3 will need a. lot of practice, so covering up in a year's time might pose as challenge; an even bigger one if you have very tough HLs like Physics and Chemistry (which I'm assuming you do since you want to become a pilot).

However, you should aim at taking math AA HL as universities require them if you apply for Science based courses, which I assume you will be applying for since  you want to become a pilot. Math AA Hl is. calculus heavy and it helps if you had additional math as a. subject in GCSEs. Anyway, I ask your school for Math AA HL, they might give it to you. 

Ahhhhh thank you for this !

but the thing is i am currently dp year 1 and its only week 2. We have barely started anything in Math (its all been GCSE recap) so if i have to change i have to change now. Do you still think its a bad decision to do so? Like theres no point if I take any AI SL, and like AA HL is far too much of a reach as its the hardest course out there so i feel like its best if i can somehow get into  AI HL now. 

to he honest, its a huge myth that pilots need hardcore sciences and math to be able to become one. pilots themselves have said that on countless forums but if i wanna do aeronautical engineering beside my pilot license, its a different story lol. Which i wont ofcourse rip.