Canadian universities and IB

CommeDesEnfants

I don't know about the rest of Canada, but I live in Ontario and Ontario unis look at your high school average for admissions and scholarships.

What about IB marks then?

And I'm considering applying to UBC, U of T, Queen's, and McGill.

Oh, and since I live in BC, would it be more beneficial for me to go to UBC if I want to get accepted into medicine for grad school?

What about IB marks then?

And I'm considering applying to UBC, U of T, Queen's, and McGill.

Oh, and since I live in BC, would it be more beneficial for me to go to UBC if I want to get accepted into medicine for grad school?

I've gotten 3 offers so far and 1 came with a conditional offer (percentage). The other two won't tell me what they want, arghh but I'm assuming it'll be a percentage conditional. So Ontario doesn't seem to look at IB marks at all. Specifically in Ontario, a 7 translates to 96-100 and a 6 to 92-95, I believe, so aim for 6s and 7s.

For universities in Ontario use:

http://www.electronicinfo.ca/en/page.php?id=21&univ_id=0 for scholarships and

http://www.electronicinfo.ca/en/page.php?id=32&uid=0 for IB requirements on the entry programs.

And Irene, I thought that a 7 -> 100%, 6 -> 95%, 5 -> 89%, etc on your transcript?

Ha, I wish. My 7 in bio "translated" to a 96 while my 6 translated to a 95. A lot of ****ing good that was.

They won't look at your IB marks at all unless you request them too (I also applied to U of T and Queen's).

And Irene, that's really odd that your 7 = 96-100 but 6 = 92-95. My school did 7 = 96-100, 6 = 90-95 etc. And our translations were based on how we were ranked in each subject prior to exams. So if you already had the best mark in the subject before exams, you were given the 100%. I got the 100 in bio but 99 in chem and maths, 98 in econ etc.

They won't look at your IB marks at all unless you request them too (I also applied to U of T and Queen's).

And Irene, that's really odd that your 7 = 96-100 but 6 = 92-95. My school did 7 = 96-100, 6 = 90-95 etc. And our translations were based on how we were ranked in each subject prior to exams. So if you already had the best mark in the subject before exams, you were given the 100%. I got the 100 in bio but 99 in chem and maths, 98 in econ etc.

Hmm... it may have been 90-95 now that I think about it. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't based on ranking as a few people got 100 in SL Econ while the highest in Bio was 98. Apparently, there is a matrix of predicted and final marks that the teachers go by, but I found out recently this wasn't the case. So I'm not entirely sure what IS the case, other than the teacher has a (major) say in the translated marks.

Be nice to your teachers!

I'm not sure how many universities accept IB marks now.

All I know is, University of Alberta will grant Final Acceptance, not conditional, but Final, as in, you're going to our school in September if you choose us, based on your predicted IB scores.

I wonder what other universities out there offer this kind of program.

I'm not sure how many universities accept IB marks now.

All I know is, University of Alberta will grant Final Acceptance, not conditional, but Final, as in, you're going to our school in September if you choose us, based on your predicted IB scores.

I wonder what other universities out there offer this kind of program.

I've been accepted to UBC. I'm pretty sure its final acceptance as they have not told me any 'conditions' to meet.

In Ontario, universities will take your "best six", your best six marks from any course (exception, course requirements. i.e. if you're applying for a math program, one of your six MUST be math).

Here's the great thing. At my school, at least, HL courses count for two credits! So here's Student A:

History HL = 6

English HL = 7

Biology HL = 6

French A2 = 5

Math Studies = 6

Chemistry SL = 5

Assuming they were applying for a program with no requirements (other than English), here's what universities would see as their best six! (90% really means anything from 90% to 95%, and 96% means 96%-100%. Whatever your teachers give you!)

90%, 90% (from History), 96%, 96% (from English), 90%, 90% (from Bio). They would then average that.

In Ontario, universities will take your "best six", your best six marks from any course (exception, course requirements. i.e. if you're applying for a math program, one of your six MUST be math).

Here's the great thing. At my school, at least, HL courses count for two credits! So here's Student A:

History HL = 6

English HL = 7

Biology HL = 6

French A2 = 5

Math Studies = 6

Chemistry SL = 5

Assuming they were applying for a program with no requirements (other than English), here's what universities would see as their best six! (90% really means anything from 90% to 95%, and 96% means 96%-100%. Whatever your teachers give you!)

90%, 90% (from History), 96%, 96% (from English), 90%, 90% (from Bio). They would then average that.

I thought it was your 6 best Grade 12 marks? At my school, for a course like HL Biology, you only get credits (Grade 11 Biology and Grade 12 Biology). Therefore, you would only get 1 90% from Biology counted toward your average. The Math Studies course grants you the Calculus & Vectors credit and the Advanced Functions credit (both Grade 12).

I thought it was your 6 best Grade 12 marks? At my school, for a course like HL Biology, you only get credits (Grade 11 Biology and Grade 12 Biology). Therefore, you would only get 1 90% from Biology counted toward your average. The Math Studies course grants you the Calculus & Vectors credit and the Advanced Functions credit (both Grade 12).

Top 6 including prereqs for the program you applied for. For example, Health Sci at Mac has 5 prereqs: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca/forms/canad.php. Those will count towards your "top 6" regardless of what mark you obtained.