Maths SL AA vs. Maths SL AI

ChocolateAndVanilla

Hey,

I started IBDP Year 1 in September and I've chosen Maths SL Analysis & Approaches. I'm now experiencing some difficulties (as majority of my classmates) because we had a very bad Maths teacher last year. I was always quite good at Maths and that's why I decided to choose AA. However, now I'm considering changing from it to Maths SL AI.

I want to study medicine in the UK in the future (I'm dreaming of studying at the University of Oxford or University College London). My question is, is it much better to have Maths SL AA than AI. I checked the universities' websites and they don't say that any of the Maths levels is required for medicine. However, all my friends say that it's actually better to get a 5 in Maths AA instead of a 7 in Maths AI and I could stay in Maths AA class and I can't really decide what to do.

Thanks for all pieces of advice!

• 1 month later...
On 10/10/2019 at 5:45 PM, ChocolateAndVanilla said:

Hey,

I started IBDP Year 1 in September and I've chosen Maths SL Analysis & Approaches. I'm now experiencing some difficulties (as majority of my classmates) because we had a very bad Maths teacher last year. I was always quite good at Maths and that's why I decided to choose AA. However, now I'm considering changing from it to Maths SL AI.

I want to study medicine in the UK in the future (I'm dreaming of studying at the University of Oxford or University College London). My question is, is it much better to have Maths SL AA than AI. I checked the universities' websites and they don't say that any of the Maths levels is required for medicine. However, all my friends say that it's actually better to get a 5 in Maths AA instead of a 7 in Maths AI and I could stay in Maths AA class and I can't really decide what to do.

Thanks for all pieces of advice!

I’m in the same situation I really want to switch to SL maths IA. any updates??

• 1 month later...

That's exactly what I did! We had the possibility to change the Math course until the end of October and so I decided to stay. While solving the past paper questions from previous Maths SL (which is, I guess, the most similar to Maths AA SL), I realised that the tests that my teacher makes are actually much harder than those past paper questions and I didn't have any difficulties while solving the past papers. Also, for the most recent test (topic: sequences and series), I solved some questions from other textbooks and got quite a good mark (76%). So, when I actually asked this question here my total score in Maths was around 35% (grade 2/7) and now I have 53% (3/7), while the highest mark in our Maths group is 4/7.

So yeah, just in case anyone was wondering/interested/in similar situation/whatever :))