Global Politics IA Topics!

serenity

Wow, I haven't been on this site since I started MYP. It's great to be back here, this time as an IB student!!

So we were recently introduced to our Global Politics IA (Personal Engagement Activity), and I'm semi-lost as this is a newly offered course at my school and no one's ever taught it before. My teacher isn't being that helpful in terms of the expectations and all, but I have a broad idea of what I need to do. We're expected to have proposals ready in the next couple of week and present them to our teacher for approval. As this is a relatively new course offered by the IB itself, there aren't that many resources available for help or inspiration. I feel as though I might be stumbling around in the dark right now- you can imagine the feeling. 

Does anyone have any experience with the PEA? Are there any suggestions you might have in terms of topics, or topics to avoid? Any advice or past experiences would be SO helpful!! 

• Good Luck 1

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/16/2019 at 7:39 AM, serenity said:

Wow, I haven't been on this site since I started MYP. It's great to be back here, this time as an IB student!!

So we were recently introduced to our Global Politics IA (Personal Engagement Activity), and I'm semi-lost as this is a newly offered course at my school and no one's ever taught it before. My teacher isn't being that helpful in terms of the expectations and all, but I have a broad idea of what I need to do. We're expected to have proposals ready in the next couple of week and present them to our teacher for approval. As this is a relatively new course offered by the IB itself, there aren't that many resources available for help or inspiration. I feel as though I might be stumbling around in the dark right now- you can imagine the feeling. 

Does anyone have any experience with the PEA? Are there any suggestions you might have in terms of topics, or topics to avoid? Any advice or past experiences would be SO helpful!! 

Well, I'm starting mine... I'm currently doing a survey for my engagement activity, can you please help me out by filling this survey? SURVEY

On 10/16/2019 at 3:39 AM, serenity said:

Hey, welcome back to the forum, now as an IB warrior! Time flies, huh?

So, Global Politics IA? Stepping into uncharted territory – that's like the Indiana Jones of coursework! Let's brainstorm some ideas to keep you from feeling like you’re navigating a labyrinth in the dark.

1. Current Affairs

Skim through recent headlines. Is there a geopolitical event that catches your eye? Maybe something like the impact of sanctions on a country or the role of international organizations in conflict resolution.

2. Local Lens

Got something spicy happening in your local area that has global implications? Sometimes zooming in on a local issue can reveal some nifty global connections.

3. Power Dynamics

Power's always a juicy topic. Maybe explore how power is wielded by nations on the global stage, or how marginalized groups are fighting for representation.

4. Social Media & Politics

This is a goldmine! Examine how social media influences politics, both nationally and internationally. Elections, public opinions, revolutions – the Twitter birdie’s got it all.

5. Environment

Climate change, resource conflicts, or global environmental agreements – Mother Earth’s got a ton of political stuff happening.

6. Avoid Overdone Topics

Just a heads up, if you pick a topic that seems like every Tom, ****, and Harry would write about, it might not stand out. Challenge yourself to find unique angles.

7. Dive into IB’s Depths

Snoop around the IB website or any official material you can get your hands on. Sometimes there are hidden treasures in the deep.

8. Connect with Fellow Pioneers (like @Tiffenie here below) 

Since Global Politics is a new course, there might be other students around the world in the same boat. Try to connect with them on social media or IB forums. Build your very own fellowship of the IA!

Your proposal doesn't need to be carved in stone. It’s like your compass; it’ll guide you, but you can make course corrections if you find cooler stuff along the way.

Hope it helps ;)