MATH IA HELP!

shreyam1312

I've started my Math SL IA (finally) after not being able to find a topic for months, whatever I found I either didn't understand, was too simple, or my teacher said there was too little math in it.

Currently, I'm working on an IA on the Tower of Hanoi, which happens to also be in an IB sample IA. I'm using the same aim and methods in the sample, but I am planning to cite the sample in my references and use my own words and personal engagement. 

I told my teacher about the similarity to the sample and she approved my topic, but I'm worried I'm plagiarising and will be penalised for it. Is this plagiarism or can I just continue with what I'm doing? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/29/2019 at 2:00 PM, shreyam1312 said:

I've started my Math SL IA (finally) after not being able to find a topic for months, whatever I found I either didn't understand, was too simple, or my teacher said there was too little math in it.

Currently, I'm working on an IA on the Tower of Hanoi, which happens to also be in an IB sample IA. I'm using the same aim and methods in the sample, but I am planning to cite the sample in my references and use my own words and personal engagement. 

I told my teacher about the similarity to the sample and she approved my topic, but I'm worried I'm plagiarising and will be penalised for it. Is this plagiarism or can I just continue with what I'm doing? 

As long as your certified IB teacher said it was fine, you should face no issues. If he/she is an examinar then you should trust their recommendations. However I would suggest trying to make the IA your own, and make sure you are not submitting the same IA as someone else. Good luck!

• 1 month later...
On 11/16/2019 at 8:06 PM, Lanaabuzanat said:

As long as your certified IB teacher said it was fine, you should face no issues. If he/she is an examinar then you should trust their recommendations. However I would suggest trying to make the IA your own, and make sure you are not submitting the same IA as someone else. Good luck!

Hi, thank you for your help. I spoke to my teacher and she guided me to some help wherein I've come up with a different method such that the IA is not exactly as in the sample!