This is what I want but also what I don't want---

NoireCzarkasm

Hey everyone! 

(I'm currently a sophomore so I still have some time, but still.) 

I've been speaking with my college counselor, and this was the plan that we came up with. I know I like all of these subjects, but is there anything in general, from how colleges would view this schedule, to general tips? I'm incredibly indecisive about my major, I can see myself in either a STEM or social science career, so I genuinely don't know what to do. 

My current schedule for sophomore year: 

AP US History

AP Chem

AP Literature

pre-calc

engineering

spanish 3

band

Here is what I've been thinking about: 

HL: Design Technology, Economics, English

SL: Math (not studies), spanish, psychology

If anyone has any tips for any of these classes or has any suggestions as to what to take or what not to take, please let me know! 

• 1 month later...
Just now, pickle245 said:

I don't know about AP classes or college credit or whatever, but your IB choices that you are thinking of aren't valid because you don't have a science.

I wouldn't recommend having both design and economics at higher level unless you want to do some sort of degree that needs both (although I don't know of any).

Economics isn't usually required even for an economics degree, and I'm assuming you don't want to do one because you don't want to do HL maths, and is not a 'facilitating' subject, meaning it isn't going to be the most helpful in getting you into another degree.

Design technology isn't facilitating either, and I don't know much about what careers or degrees involve this, but I'm going to guess a lot of them will want HL maths as well, or even physics.

English is fine, universities look on it favourably, and if you want a career in it that's great. If that is the case then I would recommend taking more complementary HL subjects, like history, which are more similar in style to English.

I would recommend taking maths HL and maybe swapping out economics. As I said before, you would also need to swap economics, psychology or design for a science, as you have 2 humanities and a group 6 subject

15 hours ago, pickle245 said:

I don't know about AP classes or college credit or whatever, but your IB choices that you are thinking of aren't valid because you don't have a science.

That's not true. According to IB website, design technology is a science subject under group 4!

https://www.ibo.org/programmes/diploma-programme/curriculum/sciences/