Share your SAT I and SAT II scores

kman

I thought the SAT was worth it, and I plan to take it a third time in the fall. Not only do most colleges (in the US at least) ask for your scores in the application, but it refreshes your basic math and comprehension skills (if you study!). I think it is worth taking at least one, even though it is expensive. If you want to go to a US university, i would definitely suggest taking the SAT. There might be scholarships you can get for strong SAT scores as well, to lower the price of college (I am not sure though.)

Just a quick question? Are the SATs worth doing in your opinion? Do they make you feel better about yourself?

I mean I might apply to the US but aren't university fees extremely expensive, even for foreigners.

I know a lot of brilliant people who don't do as well on standardized tests as they should. I don't know if your SAT score will make you feel better about yourself, but if you don't score as high as you'd like, it's not that big a deal because you're quote unquote foreign. Some kids from the US breathe SAT prep stuff from when they turn 15 or something, but because you don't live in the US, you're not scrutinized against those that spend a large portion of their time studying. Also, you've done IB. That's showing colleges (universities) your aptitude.

However, you can be offered scholarships based on SAT scores. If you're looking to apply at a competitive school, don't expect the school to pay you for your scores because if it is a competitve school, many of the applicants will have perfect or near perfect scores.

I'm pretty sure fees are worse for foreigners than they are for students who live in the US, unless you're talking about private institutions. Even then, though, you'd have the travel and accommodation bills.

Does that help any?

I got a 2000 overall: 600 Math, 660 Reading, 740 Writing...

I need to get that math score up but i don't know how!

Umm usually, a prep book will help you get a good starting score. However, SAT always asks a certain number of tricky application questions where you basically have to apply a concept from geometry or alg 2 in a whole new scenario that you've probably never seen before. Is there a math team class at your school? I know that just doing math team tournaments helps me to be in the right type of mindset for these questions. Even if you're not, practice always, always helps. Just going over problems that you missed :)

Do you remember that two parabola one or something? It was like y=k - x^2 or something like that, and you were looking for k. Even I had no idea how to do that, but my friend did.

i don't really remember specific questions but i remember there was one super tricky and i think it had to do with parabolas. i just bought the SAT prep book from CollegeBoard so i will review that over summer! and congrats on your scores! those are very good :)

I got a 2000 overall: 600 Math, 660 Reading, 740 Writing...

I need to get that math score up but i don't know how!

Umm usually, a prep book will help you get a good starting score. However, SAT always asks a certain number of tricky application questions where you basically have to apply a concept from geometry or alg 2 in a whole new scenario that you've probably never seen before. Is there a math team class at your school? I know that just doing math team tournaments helps me to be in the right type of mindset for these questions. Even if you're not, practice always, always helps. Just going over problems that you missed :(

Do you remember that two parabola one or something? It was like y=k - x^2 or something like that, and you were looking for k. Even I had no idea how to do that, but my friend did.

Critical Reading 740

Writing 720

Math 790

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got a 2000 first try. Kinda rubbish, but the only proper prep I had was the October PSAT, so hopefully the summer prep will bring my score up.

M: 740

CR: 620

W: 640

Maths was all silly mistakes, so hopefully I can get higher in that next time, and I really need to practice critical reading and writing.

1800, I'm afraid. Disappointing.

Critical Reading - 570

Math - 570

Writing - 660

It just so happened that I had to excel in the one most universities don't even look at!! Oh well, c'est la vie.

Don't be so despondent! Writing isn't ignored by admissions counselors. With the ACT [another standardized test] most unis require the optional writing section.

For SATIIs, how important is it to take a humanities subject test [like literature/history] in addition to the math and science ones to colleges that require 3 subject test?

I took Math2 [also is Math2 the same thing as Math2C? I'm pretty sure that the C stands for calculator, but isn't everyone allowed to use a calculator on all math subject tests?] and got a 780. For the other two, I took two sciences--Chemistry [730] and Physics [790]. Should I do another sitting to get a score for a humanity?? I probably won't score nearly as well for Lit or History.

It is important. By picking a humanities subject as your third, you're showing the colleges that you're well-rounded and that's something that really matters, at least for US universities. I don't think it'll be so pivotal to score as highly on your 3rd, though of course that would be desirable.

Critical Reading- 800

Math- 770

Writing- 770

Total- 2340

I'm doing the SATs purely in hopes of getting into a reach school (Ivy League). If I don't get accepted into any, I'll probably go to the University of Toronto up here in Canada. Anyway, with this score, what are my odds of making it into an Ivy school? I'll be taking SAT IIs in the fall (Bio M, Chem, and a currently undecided third test.) If everything goes as expected next year (just finished IB I and basing it on that), I should be submitting a 43 or 44 predicted IB score, with 6-7-7 at HL. I do a fairly wide range of extracurriculars, with specific dedication to MUNs and debating. I'm worried because I haven't achieved any really high level of recognition, like national recognition, in any of my ECs, and I've heard that with increasing competition for Ivy League spots, you need this level of achievement to stand a chance. Also, I don't really fulfill any minority status (white male, parents with university educations) so I won't be filling any quotas. So with all of that taken into account, what do you guys think my chances are of making it into an Ivy school? (Likely applying for Harvard, Yale and Columbia.)

Thanks in advance

For sweetnsimple786: Don't sweat about it too much - it'll affect your chances next to nothing, especially if you're doing well in humanities grade-wise already. For Ivy League it might be a factor, but even then, I'd put more emphasis on ECs and a good GPA.

Sponge123, from what I've gathered, you have a good chance in getting into Ivy League. Your SAT score is amazing - it really is, you should be proud of yourself - and your IB points are more than brilliant. I know people who've gotten into Brown with scores under 40, for example, so once you reach those 6s and 7s, it's not as much a fuss anymore. However, what distinguishes you from an applicant who would surely be accepted are your ECs. For Ivy League, they want students who are special - good grades don't make you stand out anymore. You really need a breakthrough in your ECs now. But even if you don't get one, definitely apply! Good luck.

I'm unfortunately in the antithesis situation: brilliant, mind-blowing ECs and average grades.

For sweetnsimple786: Don't sweat about it too much - it'll affect your chances next to nothing, especially if you're doing well in humanities grade-wise already. For Ivy League it might be a factor, but even then, I'd put more emphasis on ECs and a good GPA.

Sponge123, from what I've gathered, you have a good chance in getting into Ivy League. Your SAT score is amazing - it really is, you should be proud of yourself - and your IB points are more than brilliant. I know people who've gotten into Brown with scores under 40, for example, so once you reach those 6s and 7s, it's not as much a fuss anymore. However, what distinguishes you from an applicant who would surely be accepted are your ECs. For Ivy League, they want students who are special - good grades don't make you stand out anymore. You really need a breakthrough in your ECs now. But even if you don't get one, definitely apply! Good luck.

I'm unfortunately in the antithesis situation: brilliant, mind-blowing ECs and average grades.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I hope that I can get some real success this year in my ECs.