Failed IB by 1 point, what do I do now?

SRW

I received my IB exam results and was devastated to discover that I have failed by 1 point. I achieved a 24 overall but failed to get 12 HL points. (Got 11!) 

What makes it worse is that I am 1-2 points off the next (higher) grade in each HL subject. 

French: Achieved 4 (1 point needed to obtain 5)

Biology: Achieved 4 (2 points needed to obtain 5)

Chemistry: Achieved 3 (2 points needed to obtain 4) 

What do I do now? Remark? Retake chemistry (which I struggled with all year 🤔 would that include redoing my practical?) I feel sick to my stomach😩😖 can’t think straight.

It's worth to have them all remarked since you are on the upper boundary on all 3 subjects. You will need to apply through the IBDP coordinator for remarking. You may also consider to apply to retake chemistry while waiting to be remarked so you have a backup if marks remain the same. You will have the same IA mark if you retake the exam, only marks on paper 1, 2, and 3 will be different. Consider some sort of private tuition before retaking or subscribing to online tutoring. Here is one of the best site. https://www.mrwengibchemistry.com. Good luck!

15 minutes ago, sunsally said:

It's worth to have them all remarked since you are on the upper boundary on all 3 subjects. You will need to apply through the IBDP coordinator for remarking. You may also consider to apply to retake chemistry while waiting to be remarked so you have a backup if marks remain the same. You will have the same IA mark if you retake the exam, only marks on paper 1, 2, and 3 will be different. Consider some sort of private tuition before retaking or subscribing to online tutoring. Here is one of the best site. https://www.mrwengibchemistry.com. Good luck!

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. Yes, that sounds like a plan. I appreciate your kindness! 

Just now, SRW said:

I will do that ASAP. 😊

13 minutes ago, sunsally said:

You're very welcome. Remember to check the deadline for applying to retake! 

Do you by any chance have an idea of the costs involved?

2 minutes ago, sunsally said:

Each subject is US $119. They have eliminated the registration fee since November 2019 to make it more affordable to more students.

For more detailed information, you can check out their website here https://ibo.org/become-an-ib-school/fees-and-services/assessment-fees-and-services/

Thank you Sunsally 😊!

You need 12 for HL subjects to be awarded a diploma. According to the IB website:

1. The IB Diploma will be awarded to a candidate provided all the following requirements have been met.

1. CAS requirements have been met.

2. The candidate’s total points are 24 or more.

3. There is no “N” awarded for theory of knowledge, the extended essay or for a contributing subject.

4. There is no grade E awarded for theory of knowledge and/or the extended essay.

5. There is no grade 1 awarded in a subject/level.

6. There are no more than two grade 2s awarded (HL or SL).

7. There are no more than three grade 3s or below awarded (HL or SL).

8. The candidate has gained 12 points or more on HL subjects (for candidates who register for four HL subjects, the three highest grades count).

9. The candidate has gained 9 points or more on SL subjects (candidates who register for two SL subjects must gain at least 5 points at SL).

10. The candidate has not received a penalty for academic misconduct from the Final Award Committee.

26 minutes ago, sunsally said:

You need 12 for HL subjects to be awarded a diploma. According to the IB website:

1. The IB Diploma will be awarded to a candidate provided all the following requirements have been met.

3. There is no “N” awarded for theory of knowledge, the extended essay or for a contributing subject.

4. There is no grade E awarded for theory of knowledge and/or the extended essay.

8. The candidate has gained 12 points or more on HL subjects (for candidates who register for four HL subjects, the three highest grades count).

9. The candidate has gained 9 points or more on SL subjects (candidates who register for two SL subjects must gain at least 5 points at SL).

10. The candidate has not received a penalty for academic misconduct from the Final Award Committee.

Thanks so much.. will have to decide next choices.. 

4 hours ago, sunsally said:

With regard to no. 8,  is it possible to re-write your strongest subject if you achieved 11 points and need to re-write, instead of writing the weakest one again. (assuming your weakest subject is not needed in future). Am I correct in assuming that the 12 points come from any 3 HL subjects i.e. so in theory I could get 3, 4 and 5 points in my HL subjects to make up  the 12 points needed to pass? Or must I achieve a minimum of 4 points per subject?

7 hours ago, SRW said:

With regard to no. 8,  is it possible to re-write your strongest subject if you achieved 11 points and need to re-write, instead of writing the weakest one again. (assuming your weakest subject is not needed in future). Am I correct in assuming that the 12 points come from any 3 HL subjects i.e. so in theory I could get 3, 4 and 5 points in my HL subjects to make up  the 12 points needed to pass? Or must I achieve a minimum of 4 points per subject?

You need 12 points all together from the 3HL, as long as there is no grade 1 in any subject. So yes, you can retake your strongest subject instead of your weakest. 

6 hours ago, sunsally said:

You need 12 points all together from the 3HL, as long as there is no grade 1 in any subject. So yes, you can retake your strongest subject instead of your weakest. 

Thanks, that’s a relief! (small, but I’ll take it 😊)

• 2 months later...
On 1/4/2020 at 8:43 PM, SRW said:

I received my IB exam results and was devastated to discover that I have failed by 1 point. I achieved a 24 overall but failed to get 12 HL points. (Got 11!) 

What makes it worse is that I am 1-2 points off the next (higher) grade in each HL subject. 

French: Achieved 4 (1 point needed to obtain 5)

Biology: Achieved 4 (2 points needed to obtain 5)

Chemistry: Achieved 3 (2 points needed to obtain 4) 

What do I do now? Remark? Retake chemistry (which I struggled with all year 🤔 would that include redoing my practical?) I feel sick to my stomach😩😖 can’t think straight.

I would suggest you talk to your teachers and see in which subject you feel more confident to retake a test. I understand you are stressed, but there is a solution!