subject choice for medicine

Carla15

Hey everyone,

I`m a student in pre-IB Denmark and I got to the point where I have to make the subject choice for the IB diploma program.After IB, I am considering on studying medicine in Denmark or international. If there any of you in the same situation: what subject did you chose or what would you recommend?

Hey!

I am currently in IB Year 1 and I'm also planning on studying medicine. I have HL Biology, Chemistry and English B and SL Maths AA, Polish A and Geography. The crucial ones are Biology and Chemistry. I don't really know about the requirements in any countries other than the UK and Poland. The UK (almost) always requires Chemistry HL and Physics/Biology/Maths HL (and Biology SL if not taken at HL), however, I would highly recommend taking Biology HL. It's mainly because its content is the most useful at medicine later at university (it's way more useful than the knowledg from Maths or Physics). Well, I'm also taking Maths AA SL, but there are many people in my class who are planning on studying medicine who are taking Maths AI SL. Well, you can have Maths AA if you feel comfortable about Maths to be more competitive while applying, but it's not usually required (apart from Scotland, e.g. Edinburgh and some other actually require at least Math SL AA, so you can't have Maths AI SL). Apart from that, I think that Maths HL is definitely not required and it is a very difficult subject. 

So to sum up, I would advise you to take Biology and Chemistry HL and Maths AA SL (if you're actually good at Maths and don't have problems with it). The other subjects are completely up to you and what you're more interested in/good at, I believe.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ChocolateAndVanilla said:

Hey!

I am currently in IB Year 1 and I'm also planning on studying medicine. I have HL Biology, Chemistry and English B and SL Maths AA, Polish A and Geography. The crucial ones are Biology and Chemistry. I don't really know about the requirements in any countries other than the UK and Poland. The UK (almost) always requires Chemistry HL and Physics/Biology/Maths HL (and Biology SL if not taken at HL), however, I would highly recommend taking Biology HL. It's mainly because its content is the most useful at medicine later at university (it's way more useful than the knowledg from Maths or Physics). Well, I'm also taking Maths AA SL, but there are many people in my class who are planning on studying medicine who are taking Maths AI SL. Well, you can have Maths AA if you feel comfortable about Maths to be more competitive while applying, but it's not usually required (apart from Scotland, e.g. Edinburgh and some other actually require at least Math SL AA, so you can't have Maths AI SL). Apart from that, I think that Maths HL is definitely not required and it is a very difficult subject. 

So to sum up, I would advise you to take Biology and Chemistry HL and Maths AA SL (if you're actually good at Maths and don't have problems with it). The other subjects are completely up to you and what you're more interested in/good at, I believe.

Thank you for the answer, really helpful!

I was also considering taking chemistry and biology hl but I wasn`t sure how manageable are this two together because they are hard subjects .

Well, I think it depends on you personally. For me, they're not that difficult. I think if the 3rd HL is easy and not so time-consuming and you choose an interesting and easy subject from the group 3, it's completely fine. For example, there are some people in my class who have Biology and Chemistry HL and History SL and they spend much time studying for History (because it is quite challenging and time-consuming even at SL). But a lot of people in my class who are doing Biology and Chemistry HL chose e.g. Geography or Business Management SL. I don't know what subjects are offered at your school, but these ones are quite easy and don't require much hard work.

So to sum up, it is definitely manageable :) If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...