Help choose geography or biology

Leon04

Hey, I'm in pre-IB and I have to choose my subjects soon. I am sure about:

Polish SL

English B HL

Math AA HL

German B SL

My problem is the choice between taking HL geography or biology. I don't want to take 4 HLs, because I'm not suicidal. I really like geography and I would like to take HL, while bio is my best science but it's still kinda meh for me and it really depends on the area of the subject. Right now I'm thinking mostly about enviromental science for university and maybe genetics so biology would be better, but I'm still undecided. I don't know any major where geography would come in handy that isn't economics related (I hate economics) or complete waste of time. What do you think I should do? Thanks for help

Hey!

If you want to major in genetics (or something similar), Biology HL is (almost) necessary. You should check the content of Biology HL course to see if it is interesting to you, because if take a HL subject that you're not interested in, you will have more difficulties studying for the subject and working on all the assessments.

I took at the beginning 4 HLs, because I wasn't sure what I wanna study and I decided that I'm interesting in all of them and what all of them to be HLs (apart from English B... cause this class is really boring, but easy). So I had Biology, Chemistry, English B and Geography HL and this week, after the first term of IBY1, I dropped Geography to SL, because I've decided that I wanna study medicine and won't need Geography HL. Btw, if you have any questions regarding any of these subjects, hit me up, maybe it will help you decide!

I think it depends on the school if they allow you to drop 1 HL to SL after a term, however, if it does, maybe you could take all 4 HLs and after some time drop one of them?

1 hour ago, ChocolateAndVanilla said:

Hey!

If you want to major in genetics (or something similar), Biology HL is (almost) necessary. You should check the content of Biology HL course to see if it is interesting to you, because if take a HL subject that you're not interested in, you will have more difficulties studying for the subject and working on all the assessments.

I took at the beginning 4 HLs, because I wasn't sure what I wanna study and I decided that I'm interesting in all of them and what all of them to be HLs (apart from English B... cause this class is really boring, but easy). So I had Biology, Chemistry, English B and Geography HL and this week, after the first term of IBY1, I dropped Geography to SL, because I've decided that I wanna study medicine and won't need Geography HL. Btw, if you have any questions regarding any of these subjects, hit me up, maybe it will help you decide!

I think it depends on the school if they allow you to drop 1 HL to SL after a term, however, if it does, maybe you could take all 4 HLs and after some time drop one of them?

Thanks for answer. Yeah, my school will let me drop one HL  during the first term so I probably will do that, but they tell us all the time that we should decide based on what we want to study later and at which school and I'm just freaking out because I don't know what I want to do with my life. Genetics is just an idea in the back of my head, beacause I really enjoyed this topic in school. But I just did some digging and it turns out that even for majoring in GEOGRAPHY you aren't actually required to take geography in high school, so maybe it's just a useless subject. Also with biology it's a problem that some topics are just killing me, mainly plants and human physiology. It's been this way since elementary school and with a class full of people taking bio for medicine it's highly possible that they will choose additional 25 hours of human physiology and I'm afraid that studying this will be very difficult for me.

Don't worry! When I was in pre-IB, I thought I would study something like Geography with Economics at the university (Geography - because I love it and Economics - because it's a course after which I could easily find a job) and now I'm planning on studying medicine, so a lot has changed since then!

Well, I don't know what advice I can give you. I would not take a HL subject that I'm not interested in a lot, but if you really want to study genetics, maybe you can somehow "force" yourself to study the biological topics that you're not that interested in. 

Btw, just out of curiosity, are going to do IB in Poland? (cause I can see you're from Poland ;)) If so, in what school (what city)?

On 2/14/2020 at 8:30 PM, ChocolateAndVanilla said:

Don't worry! When I was in pre-IB, I thought I would study something like Geography with Economics at the university (Geography - because I love it and Economics - because it's a course after which I could easily find a job) and now I'm planning on studying medicine, so a lot has changed since then!

Well, I don't know what advice I can give you. I would not take a HL subject that I'm not interested in a lot, but if you really want to study genetics, maybe you can somehow "force" yourself to study the biological topics that you're not that interested in. 

Btw, just out of curiosity, are going to do IB in Poland? (cause I can see you're from Poland ;)) If so, in what school (what city)?

Yeah I will do it in Poland in Copernicus High School in Warsaw

• Good Luck 1