Someone please help me

hejhej

I'm about to write my IB entrance exam, and I was wondering what I should review. Everyone I have asked told me that the exam would be grade 9 math and English, so I've just been re-doing the grade 9 textbook. Anything else I should be doing?

Edited by hejhej

14 hours ago, hejhej said:

I'm about to write my IB entrance exam for Kelvin High School in Winnipeg, MB, Canada, and I was wondering what I should review. Everyone I have asked told me that the exam would be grade 9 math and English, so I've just been re-doing the Math Makes Sense 9 textbook. Anything else I should be doing? (Gauss, Pascal, e.t.c?)

Hey there! 
I too, am a grade 8 that just wrote their entrance exam (by that I mean four months ago); and I can assure you, the entrance exam will probably not be that hard. In fact, that panicked guesswork got me accepted! Now, I’m not sure what the acceptance rate is in your school, considering I’m a proving away from you. I’m just basing my response off of my experience here in Ontario ( please save me the education strikes here suck). The IB entrance exam is (if the school is doing the academic test, and not the new one) ONLY based off the grade 7, and 8 curriculum; so there’s no definite need to be studying grade 9 material, or trying the grade 9 Gauss test from CEMC Waterloo. In fact, (probably) your test is going to be a review of grade 7, with a sprinkle of grade 8/borderline 9 material. However if you truly want extra preparation; don’t push yourself too hard, borrow a grade 8 textbook from the school, and go over the small details that are often overlook when study a grade ahead, analyze, take the time to look it over, take it in.  The answers on the test should come from you, your justification and what YOU think is correct, not what you regurgitate from a textbook. From my experience, the IB entrance exam is often amped-up and made SCARIER than it should be; the education guidance counsellor told all of us that the IB test wasn’t an IQ test, and it doesn’t determine your value as a learner. 
The preparatory exam is something that the school uses to see who is fit to go into the program, but you can use it to see wether IB is a good fit for you, or maybe not. 
So, go out there, sleep well, double check your answers, YOU GOT THIs :)!

9 hours ago, Antonioozhaoo said:

Hey there! 
I too, am a grade 8 that just wrote their entrance exam (by that I mean four months ago); and I can assure you, the entrance exam will probably not be that hard. In fact, that panicked guesswork got me accepted! Now, I’m not sure what the acceptance rate is in your school, considering I’m a proving away from you. I’m just basing my response off of my experience here in Ontario ( please save me the education strikes here suck). The IB entrance exam is (if the school is doing the academic test, and not the new one) ONLY based off the grade 7, and 8 curriculum; so there’s no definite need to be studying grade 9 material, or trying the grade 9 Gauss test from CEMC Waterloo. In fact, (probably) your test is going to be a review of grade 7, with a sprinkle of grade 8/borderline 9 material. However if you truly want extra preparation; don’t push yourself too hard, borrow a grade 8 textbook from the school, and go over the small details that are often overlook when study a grade ahead, analyze, take the time to look it over, take it in.  The answers on the test should come from you, your justification and what YOU think is correct, not what you regurgitate from a textbook. From my experience, the IB entrance exam is often amped-up and made SCARIER than it should be; the education guidance counsellor told all of us that the IB test wasn’t an IQ test, and it doesn’t determine your value as a learner. 
The preparatory exam is something that the school uses to see who is fit to go into the program, but you can use it to see wether IB is a good fit for you, or maybe not. 
So, go out there, sleep well, double check your answers, YOU GOT THIs :)!

Thanks a lot for the advice! You just saved me hours of going over CEMC tests from the 90's. Hope Doug Ford comes to his senses and that Ontario goes back to normal for you!