Possible Biology IA labs?

irenesme

I was wondering what are some of the labs that you have completed to turn in as your Biology IA's?
Can you also explain some of what the experiment is?

It is getting pretty close to deadline time and so far my class has only completed one Biology IA and that was done last year with our old teacher.
Our new one has not even discussed IA's in detail.

Sometimes she gives suggestions on the little labs we do to turn it into our IA's, but honestly, those labs are really stupid.

Some of my classmates were thinking about taking some other IA ideas and do all of our IA's on our own.
Any suggestions?

Well, the one lab that we completed last year was on measuring the densities of stomata in different environmental conditions.

Sunny and dry
Sunny and moist
Shady and dry
Shady and moist

We collected imprints of stomata, counted them under the microscope, then analyzed data pretty much.

Are you Biology SL or HL? SL students have to do 40 hours of labs throughout the 2 years, and HL do 60 hours. We've done 16 so far, including the Group 4 project, and my teacher thought we'd finished. Then the IB told her we hadn't done enough hours, so we have to do 2 more labs :rofl:

Examples of labs we did:

-The effects of surface area and volume on diffusion. We did this with with agar, similar to jelly.

-Mapping tongue taste areas for sweetness, saltiness, bitterness and sourness

-Lincoln Index (we collected snails with the capture-release-capture method)

-Genetics lab where we worked out the pheno- and genotype for a certain characteristic (like tongue rolling) for our family tree

-Elasticity of arteries and veins (using weights to determine how far they stretched)

-Digestion of starch

-Classifying plants according to the kingdom, phylum, etc.

-Food tests (Test for protein, fat, etc.)

-Yeast fermentation

Are you Biology SL or HL? SL students have to do 40 hours of labs throughout the 2 years, and HL do 60 hours. We've done 16 so far, including the Group 4 project, and my teacher thought we'd finished. Then the IB told her we hadn't done enough hours, so we have to do 2 more labs :rofl:

Examples of labs we did:

-The effects of surface area and volume on diffusion. We did this with with agar, similar to jelly.

-Mapping tongue taste areas for sweetness, saltiness, bitterness and sourness

-Lincoln Index (we collected snails with the capture-release-capture method)

-Genetics lab where we worked out the pheno- and genotype for a certain characteristic (like tongue rolling) for our family tree

-Elasticity of arteries and veins (using weights to determine how far they stretched)

-Digestion of starch

-Classifying plants according to the kingdom, phylum, etc.

-Food tests (Test for protein, fat, etc.)

-Yeast fermentation

Half of the the students in my class is doing Biology SL and the other half are doing Biology HL. Personally, I'm doing the Biology HL and I really need the points from this subject.

I feel so discouraged seeing as you have done so much work already while we have almost done nothing. I think with lab hours we are "okay" although we never do actual lab write ups for the labs we do, instead we just answer a couple of questions.

Great ideas for labs. I will definietly try to talk to some of my classmates to see if they are willing to do one of these with me. Just wondering, can I find the instructions for these labs somewhere online?

Done:

effect of gyberellic acid on pea plant growth

Osmosis, Diffusion

Photosynthesis

Leaf strength: spotted vs. nonspotted

The big one we are going to do is environmental factor on the effect of a animal (shrimp +). This one has been stressed as THE one which will most likely get sent in. However, I am concerned that its out of IB guidelines. Isn't it?! because animal testing has ethical issues around the world. I told my teacher, and she thinks its minor - so we are moving forward..

-One lab we did a test in different foodstuffs for amylase by swabbing a bit into petri dishes and adding a few drips of iodine.

-Another we tested different salt water concentrations on the rate of photosynthesis of elodea plants. We cut off a stem and counted the bubbles that came out.

-I think we did one on transpiration, but I can't remember how it worked.

-There was a fermentation lab where we tested factors affecting fermentation so we put yeast into test tubes and attached water balloons to the tops as a way to masure carbon dioxide output.

-Then we did a gross one using blended chicken liver and hydrogen peroxide. We tested how temperature affected the rate of reaction.

What I find most ridiculous in labs is the criterion "Shows awareness of environmental impact of the experiment". In something like a food test lab, does the IB expect people to write "By doing this lab, I inadvertently diverted food away from regions in the world that need it most, like Africa, and I'm devastated that people had to starve for research purposes"? Or "In dissecting the cow's heart, I committed an unethical act according to vegetarians and vegans, yet as the cow was already dead and I didn't kill it with my own hands, I don't think it was as immoral as manslaughter".

That's the area I lost marks on for my Group 4. They can't, in all honesty, expect me to go all TOK-y in my evaluation and sob about how I'm damaging the planet, can they?

Just wondering, can I find the instructions for these labs somewhere online?

You can find instructions, if you Google the title of a lab you will usually find some fancy write up of someone who's done it before, not necessarily for IB though.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...

-One lab we did a test in different foodstuffs for amylase by swabbing a bit into petri dishes and adding a few drips of iodine.

-Another we tested different salt water concentrations on the rate of photosynthesis of elodea plants. We cut off a stem and counted the bubbles that came out.

-There was a fermentation lab where we tested factors affecting fermentation so we put yeast into test tubes and attached water balloons to the tops as a way to masure carbon dioxide output.

-Then we did a gross one using blended chicken liver and hydrogen peroxide. We tested how temperature affected the rate of reaction.

So I am doing my IA on blended chicken liver and hydrogen peroxide in different pH's and I was wondering what type of H202 I should use. I think 30% would work better but could I still use 3%? Any thoughts

So I am doing my IA on blended chicken liver and hydrogen peroxide in different pH's and I was wondering what type of H202 I should use. I think 30% would work better but could I still use 3%? Any thoughts

One thing that often looks good in your write-up and would help you with this is if you do a preliminary experiment to help you determine which experimental conditions you're going to use for the real thing. You don't do it to get a full range of results but for instance you can try a broad range of concentrations of the H2O2 and do a quick mini experiment. Then you can write it up and explain how you used the information to inform your eventual Method. It makes your method look much stronger and you can also use it to determine which concentration you're going to eventually use.

• Like 2

• 4 years later...

w

On 2/10/2009 at 1:49 AM, biochem said:

Done:

effect of gyberellic acid on pea plant growth

Osmosis, Diffusion

Photosynthesis

Leaf strength: spotted vs. nonspotted

The big one we are going to do is environmental factor on the effect of a animal (shrimp +). This one has been stressed as THE one which will most likely get sent in. However, I am concerned that its out of IB guidelines. Isn't it?! because animal testing has ethical issues around the world. I told my teacher, and she thinks its minor - so we are moving forward..

what were ur dv and iv for the leaf ia?