Chem IA on catalytic decomposition of hydrogen peroxide help required!!

helpneeded

Hi again. for my chemistry ia im very interested in doing catalytic decomposition of hydrogen peroxide with different catalysts but my teacher said that that rate of reaction is too hard to measure. however i read up on some similar past ia examples and they all managed to get a good score. so i dont understand why she said it couldnt be done. please if there is an efficient way to collect data on the rate of decomposition of catalytic decomposition of hydrogen peroxide, give me some ideas and feedback. Thank you!

3 hours ago, sarahaction said:

Which apparatus did you use for the rate of reaction?

In my case, I used a gas syringe for a neutralization reaction between CaCO3 and HCl, to measure the volume of CO2 produced.

oh I actually haven't started this experiment yet but im planning to after I get my equipment organized. also im want to find the activation energy of the decomposition of H2O2 and im actually planning to use a gas syringe to collect the oxygen produced every 30s but my teacher said that it would be difficult to collect data because apparently the decomposition of H2O2 happens so fast that collecting data under 30s would be too difficult. So I was wonder what kind of equipment would be best for collecting oxygen or, if I can alter the experiment to make collecting oxygen with gas syringe work better, how can I do that? If you have some suggestions please feel free to tell me!! Thank you!

2 hours ago, helpneeded said:

oh I actually haven't started this experiment yet but im planning to after I get my equipment organized. also im want to find the activation energy of the decomposition of H2O2 and im actually planning to use a gas syringe to collect the oxygen produced every 30s but my teacher said that it would be difficult to collect data because apparently the decomposition of H2O2 happens so fast that collecting data under 30s would be too difficult. So I was wonder what kind of equipment would be best for collecting oxygen or, if I can alter the experiment to make collecting oxygen with gas syringe work better, how can I do that? If you have some suggestions please feel free to tell me!! Thank you!

I used solid marble chips for CaCO3 so ask to your teacher whether you can use solid hydrogen peroxide or not. Like this, you can measure the volume of gas more slowly than when hydrogen peroxide is a liquid.