Is toxic masculinity real?

camigarciae

In our English class, we analyzed and advertisement that strongly criticized society for educating boys in a wrong way, creating toxic masculinity. I personally believe that it is completely real and it can cause serious social problems. There was a huge debate in our class because of that. What do you think? 

Just now, camigarciae said:

In our English class, we analyzed and advertisement that strongly criticized society for educating boys in a wrong way, creating toxic masculinity. I personally believe that it is completely real and it can cause serious social problems. There was a huge debate in our class because of that. What do you think? 

The advert was from Gillette if I am not mistaken 

• 1 year later...

I guess it is real, in the "if you drink fruity drinks or wear colourful outfits you're gay" way. I guess it's a little problematic since it discourages individuality and expression in men. 

However, "masculinity" itself is important and should be emphasised. Things that are seen as masculine, like being physically fit, very self-confident, and driven should be encouraged. In all individuals, not men. But men should have pride in their own masculinity.

I think the toxic aspects of masculinity, like unwanted violence and homophobia are problematic, but masculinity as chivalry, honour, valour, and physical fitness are important and should be encouraged.