Brewster's Angle Physics IA

MA123

Hi, I wanted to do an IA investigating the relationship between either:

- the refractive index of a material and Brewster's angle, or

- the wavelength of incident light and Brewster's angle

I am not sure how to even measure the wavelength of incident light, and to calculate Brewster's angle I would also need the wavelength of the refracted light which I don't know how to measure either. I also don't know how to measure refractive index, so I'm kinda stuck there.

I was wondering if someone could help me find a source which would explain how to carry out an experiment to find the relationship between the two variables (I already know that refractive index and Brewster's angle are related by Brewster's Law so there is a distinct relationship). Or if someone has any idea as to what method I could use to investigate this experiment (it's fine even if it has a lot of steps).

Do you guys think that this would make a good IA? Is it too simple or too complicated? Is the measurement of variables (refractive index, wavelength, Brewster's angle) too complicated to carry out or is it feasible?

Thank you so much for your help, any advice is much appreciated!

9 hours ago, MountEETOKIA said:

Hi.

I didn't do Physics at the IB, so I can't really help you with the specifics.

However, I happen to have quite a few high-scoring student written samples of Physics IAs. If you want some inspiration or reference, you can check them out here.

Cheers! Let me know if I helped.

Hi,

Thank you so much! I'll look over them.