Which subject to choose?

Fellow IB students,

I can't decide which subject to choose. I will start my IBDP studies this September, and I still haven't decided which science to choose.

I am aiming to spend the least possible time with Sciences, I want to study Law and would take Math studies if it was still available.

I am torn between ESS, Physics and Computer Science

My profile looks like this:

A: English Lit HL

History HL

Global Politics HL

Science SL

Math AA SL

Ab initio SL

I like Physics, find it interesting. But only at the standard level at Hungarian public school system. Which is pretty simple and requires little thinking. But if I manage to solve a problem it leaves me with great satisfaction.

I am interested in computer science, but I do not have a single clue about coding. I know it would be useful to learn to code, but I don't want to kill myself during the two years of IB- I do want to aim for the highest possible points.

ESS is also considered a social science, that's why it's on the list. I also heard it's the easiest.

As you can see I'm in desperate need of any advice. Thank you in advance for helping me out.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, annuspinky2003 said:

Fellow IB students,

I can't decide which subject to choose. I will start my IBDP studies this September, and I still haven't decided which science to choose.

I am aiming to spend the least possible time with Sciences, I want to study Law and would take Math studies if it was still available.

History HL

Global Politics HL

Science SL

Math AA SL

Ab initio SL

I like Physics, find it interesting. But only at the standard level at Hungarian public school system. Which is pretty simple and requires little thinking. But if I manage to solve a problem it leaves me with great satisfaction.

I am interested in computer science, but I do not have a single clue about coding. I know it would be useful to learn to code, but I don't want to kill myself during the two years of IB- I do want to aim for the highest possible points.

ESS is also considered a social science, that's why it's on the list. I also heard it's the easiest.

As you can see I'm in desperate need of any advice. Thank you in advance for helping me out.

Hey!😊I am also starting the IB programme in Sebtember and just like you I'm not really interested in putting a lot of effort in my science studies. Unfortunatelly, in the Hungarian system I could only choose from Computer Science, Biology and Chemistry. Since I'm not so keen on sciences, I chose Computer Science because that seemed like the best option out of the three for me. If I were you I would choose ESS since that is the easiest one. If you don't really have plans with physics or computer science I believe there's no point in choosing those when there is an easier option. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, reki24 said:

Hey!😊I am also starting the IB programme in Sebtember and just like you I'm not really interested in putting a lot of effort in my science studies. Unfortunatelly, in the Hungarian system I could only choose from Computer Science, Biology and Chemistry. Since I'm not so keen on sciences, I chose Computer Science because that seemed like the best option out of the three for me. If I were you I would choose ESS since that is the easiest one. If you don't really have plans with physics or computer science I believe there's no point in choosing those when there is an easier option. 

Hello! Thank you for your advice. This community seems so helpful! Hope, we will meet in the future.

1 hour ago, annuspinky2003 said:

Fellow IB students,

History HL

Global Politics HL

Science SL

Math AA SL

Ab initio SL

Hey!

In my opinion, if you want your applicatiom for uni (depends also where you're planning to apply), even if you're planning to study law, ESS is one of the easiest subjects (I'm not taking it, but that's what I've heard) and at the same time doesn't make you be competitive, especially that you're also taking lang ab initio. On the other hand, it's better if the subject is easy (like if at least 1 or 2 subjects are easier) so you can focus on HLs and still get good grades. If you're not really good at Maths, I wouldn't recommend Physics or CS because they both require some more Maths than simple calculations. Also, Physics SL is very similar to HL soo it's a lot of hard work as for an SL. Are these your only possibilities? All people in my class who are into humanities and not good Maths are taking Bio SL and they say it's pretty easy. If you have such an option, I would consider Bio instead of ESS.

Also, why aren't you taking Maths AI instead of AA if you wanted to take studies? It is much more similar to studies than AA, AA is more like previous SL.

Hope that helps :)

8 minutes ago, ChocolateAndVanilla said:

Hey!

In my opinion, if you want your applicatiom for uni (depends also where you're planning to apply), even if you're planning to study law, ESS is one of the easiest subjects (I'm not taking it, but that's what I've heard) and at the same time doesn't make you be competitive, especially that you're also taking lang ab initio. On the other hand, it's better if the subject is easy (like if at least 1 or 2 subjects are easier) so you can focus on HLs and still get good grades. If you're not really good at Maths, I wouldn't recommend Physics or CS because they both require some more Maths than simple calculations. Also, Physics SL is very similar to HL soo it's a lot of hard work as for an SL. Are these your only possibilities? All people in my class who are into humanities and not good Maths are taking Bio SL and they say it's pretty easy. If you have such an option, I would consider Bio instead of ESS.

Also, why aren't you taking Maths AI instead of AA if you wanted to take studies? It is much more similar to studies than AA, AA is more like previous SL.

Hope that helps :)

Wow, you made me think. Thank you.

I am thinking of going to the UK perhaps (but still considering Hungary, where AA is required). Do you think universities look down on applications based on the subjects you take? To what extent and where?

Would the fact that I am not native English but take English Lit HL make up for any of it? I completely hate Biology :( But I am pretty good at Maths

If I have 2 "easy" subjects does that make your application weaker significantly?

17 hours ago, annuspinky2003 said:

Wow, you made me think. Thank you.

I am thinking of going to the UK perhaps (but still considering Hungary, where AA is required). Do you think universities look down on applications based on the subjects you take? To what extent and where?

Would the fact that I am not native English but take English Lit HL make up for any of it? I completely hate Biology :( But I am pretty good at Maths

If I have 2 "easy" subjects does that make your application weaker significantly?

Oh, I just assumed that if you were to take maths studies, you're not good at maths hahah, sorry. Then go with AA, especially if it might be necessary if you decide to study in Hungary. 

I'm not sure about that, but I think they might look down a bit. But on the other hand, if you get a high score than that should be fine, especially that you're taking 3 (I think cause I don't know really what Global Politics is about haha) essay-based subjects which is a recommendations for law, it should be fine. It's hard to say to what extent because especially in the UK they look at the application as a whole, not only on the subjects and grades. I don't know how it works in Hungary, but in my opinion, if you think that you may score better/find it easier in ESS and instead you can focus on your HLs and some other law-related things that you can put in your personal statement, it's a good option. It is kinda the opposite of my last reply hahah but I thought it through and I think your subject choice makes sense, it's very important that all your 3 HLs are strictly connected with law.

Taking Eng Lit will definitely make your application look stronger, but I think it's really hard for non-natives to score high (like a 7 or 6), but it's not that it is undoable :)

So to sum up, I think your subjects are completely fine, especially that Maths AA is regarded as the better one I think and thanks to 2 easier SLs you can focus on HLs and law-related stuff. If you're still considering Physics though, you might have a look (if you haven't yet) at the textbook to compare it with your previous Physics knowledge and then decide. But if you decide to take ESS instead, I think it's fine. I would however avoid taking CS (even if you're interested in it) cause you don't need it to study law and, at least that's what I've heard, it is quite a weird subject.

Hope that helps! ;)