Did I pick the right subjects??

efeek2709

Hi! I'm currently a 10th grader and I'm going to start IB next month. I'm planning to study engineering in either Canada or Australia. Here is my subject selections:

Chemistry HL

Physics HL

Math Analysis & Approaches HL

English A Language & Literature SL

Bahasa Indonesia A SL

Business & Management SL

Am I going to do fine with the HL combination of Math AA HL, Physics HL, and Chemistry HL? Because I heard this combination is really hard.

Am I going to be considered as a stronger applicant with this combination of HLs? 

Any inputs would be kindly appreciated :) :)  (Sorry if there is any mistake in grammar)

2 hours ago, baloners said:

The HL subjects you picked are quite challenging, but I feel like universities will consider you as a stronger applicant due to your subject selection. You will be fine as long as you read the books and understand the concepts.

Thank you for the input! I hope I'm doing fine with these subjects

Hi, I also think that the HL combination is quite challenging, but it is not undoable :) You will need good time management and a lot of hard work in order to get good grades, but if you are good at scientific subjects, it will be fine.

But I am wondering , do you have to take 2 languages A? I think it would be much easier if you could take 1 language A and 1 language B. But even if you don't it should be fine.

And definitely with those 3 HLs you will be generally considered a strong applicant.

2 hours ago, ChocolateAndVanilla said:

Hi, I also think that the HL combination is quite challenging, but it is not undoable :) You will need good time management and a lot of hard work in order to get good grades, but if you are good at scientific subjects, it will be fine.

But I am wondering , do you have to take 2 languages A? I think it would be much easier if you could take 1 language A and 1 language B. But even if you don't it should be fine.

And definitely with those 3 HLs you will be generally considered a strong applicant.

Hi! Thank you for the reply. We are required to take Bahasa Indonesia A (at least SL) as it is our mother tongue and I need to take English A (at least SL) to satisfy the university's requirements (I heard that some good universities in Canada, such as UBC, Waterloo, and Toronto, required their applicants at least English A SL).

Edited by efeek2709

59 minutes ago, efeek2709 said:

Hi! Thank you for the reply. We are required to take Bahasa Indonesia A (at least SL) as it is our mother tongue and I need to take English A (at least SL) to satisfy the university's requirements (I heard that some good universities in Canada, such as UBC, Waterloo, and Toronto, required their applicants at least English A SL).

Oh I get it, we have it similar actually, but I thought that maybe you didn't have to take Bahasa Indonesia (cause in some countries people are not required to take their mother tongue). Anyway, it should be fine if you work hard, good luck! :)

2 hours ago, ChocolateAndVanilla said:

Oh I get it, we have it similar actually, but I thought that maybe you didn't have to take Bahasa Indonesia (cause in some countries people are not required to take their mother tongue). Anyway, it should be fine if you work hard, good luck! :)

Thank you, I'll try! 

You should check what the past results in the three 3HLs are at you school. If people are only getting 4s/5s then maybe consider switching schools or switch to AP/A-Levels. In general, Canada has more stringent requriements because Australia has gateway programs and is more flexible with missing one or two classes.

If you can get 38-39+ then you should be considered a strong International applicant. In general be willing to learn stuff on your own and be willing to spend hours a day on the subjects. 

@ChocolateAndVanilla Bahasa is a school-requested course, and is likely Group 1 only. It's not globally available like English or Chinese, for example.