I need help with my IA topic (math)

AstridL03

Hey! Please help me :c

My school is very new with the IB and right now we are working on our IA in Math aa

My topic is "Correlation between milk consumption and acne in young people between 15 and 17 years old"

Is it alright? I also wanted to compare these results with the ones of another country (since the milk consumption in Ecuador is kinda low)

It is the first year of my teacher in IB and she says I should have personal reasons to do it, but i have! 

Thank you if anyone answers and sorry for my bad english

Hi!

Your teacher is right, there is a criterion called "personal engagement" in which you should tell about why you chose this particular topic, why it is interesting to you etc.

Do you know already what kind of Maths (calculations etc.) you're going to use? Basically, how you're going to calculate this? The topic sounds to me very much like Maths SL AI rather than AA and if you don't include Maths on the level of AA, but on the level of AI, it may score poorly.

I'm only writing my IA now, but my teacher is quite experienced and whenever one wanted to have a similar topic to yours, she would be strongly against it. But if you include Maths on high enough level, it should be fine. 

Hope that helps a bit :)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ChocolateAndVanilla said:

Hi!

Your teacher is right, there is a criterion called "personal engagement" in which you should tell about why you chose this particular topic, why it is interesting to you etc.

Do you know already what kind of Maths (calculations etc.) you're going to use? Basically, how you're going to calculate this? The topic sounds to me very much like Maths SL AI rather than AA and if you don't include Maths on the level of AA, but on the level of AI, it may score poorly.

I'm only writing my IA now, but my teacher is quite experienced and whenever one wanted to have a similar topic to yours, she would be strongly against it. But if you include Maths on high enough level, it should be fine. 

Hope that helps a bit :)

Thank you! Im going to use probability and statistics. I hope it turns out fine. My teacher doesnt really have experience at all in IB. The worst part is we havent learned almost anything, just some topics from functions and number and algebra so Im hoping to learn and do this by myself.  I think I am going to change my topic to one related to ecomomics, but I am still going to use statistics. 

Well once again, thank you! 

Edited by AstridL03