IB options question !!!!

iaIBic

Which option is better ? Any suggestions? What should I be doing before I start IB????  Thank you guys :)

OptionA

Subject 1: English A: Language & Literature (HL) 
Subject 2: Spanish Ab Initio (SL)
Subject 3: Economics (HL)
Subject 4: ESS (SL)
Subject 5: Mathematics: A & A (SL) 
Subject 6: Chemistry (HL)

Option B

Subject 1: English A: Language & Literature (SL) 
Subject 2: Spanish Ab Initio (SL)
Subject 3: Economics (HL)
Subject 4: Chemistry (HL)
Subject 5: Mathematics: A & A (HL) 
Subject 6: Biology (SL)

Edited by iaIBic

• 1 month later...

It depends on what you want to do in university and the requirements for that, so you could check it? Or tell me and I could try to help? However, if you are undecided I'd say option A will be easier, I took basically the same subjects as option B, the courses you are taking are challenging, so make sure you are confident you want to take these. I don't have any experience with ESS, so research about it. Overall, check with your uni course that you have in mind or talk to your counselor, but if you are looking for the easier option, it is definitely option A, even though the other courses are still difficult.

As for any tips, try starting on all or some of your courses from now before the year starts. Read your summer books and annotate for english!!! Start practicing time management if you are not good with it. Make a document or a bookmarks bar with all good resources for all you subjects, such as notes, revision questions, youtubers and many more, they will come in very handy! 

As I mentioned before I took basically the same subject as option B, I took HL English A: Language & Literature, Economics and Chemistry. SL Biology, Math AA and Spanish AB Initio. Honestly, I don't know what I will be going into in university, so I took a random set of courses that will open different degrees for me, however, I had many struggles. One, HL Chemistry is hard, it is one of the hardest HL's in all of IB, so good luck! My teacher was not the best, so it made it even harder. AB Initio Spanish is fast paced, so always stay up to date. Lastly, I would say take HL English over SL seeing as the difference is not that big. This is my experience, (one more year to go!!), but good luck!

When you pick your courses, I could send you some really good resources if you would like!

Hope this helps!

Edited by ybna
  • Like 2

It is true @ybna that there is not much difference between Eng (HL) and (SL), So concentrate on subjects that you are good at like to study and pursue in the future. Try checking out the syllabus for each subject before you dive deep. Your choice of subject solely depends on what you want to pursue in the future. Check your pre-requisite options for a few undergrad schools if you are not sure about the subject you should study. I have taken Che HL too. It's a subject to be studied in great depth but it depends on how much basics you know and of course your teacher. I have a wonderful teacher for Che. In fact I've also taken Che for my EE. I'm also planning to study Che in college. So I think that's why I picked it.

Hope this helps :))

• Like 1
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, ybna said:

It depends on what you want to do in university and the requirements for that, so you could check it? Or tell me and I could try to help? However, if you are undecided I'd say option A will be easier, I took basically the same subjects as option B, the courses you are taking are challenging, so make sure you are confident you want to take these. I don't have any experience with ESS, so research about it. Overall, check with your uni course that you have in mind or talk to your counselor, but if you are looking for the easier option, it is definitely option A, even though the other courses are still difficult.

As for any tips, try starting on all or some of your courses from now before the year starts. Read your summer books and annotate for english!!! Start practicing time management if you are not good with it. Make a document or a bookmarks bar with all good resources for all you subjects, such as notes, revision questions, youtubers and many more, they will come in very handy! 

As I mentioned before I took basically the same subject as option B, I took HL English A: Language & Literature, Economics and Chemistry. SL Biology, Math AA and Spanish AB Initio. Honestly, I don't know what I will be going into in university, so I took a random set of courses that will open different degrees for me, however, I had many struggles. One, HL Chemistry is hard, it is one of the hardest HL's in all of IB, so good luck! My teacher was not the best, so it made it even harder. AB Initio Spanish is fast paced, so always stay up to date. Lastly, I would say take HL English over SL seeing as the difference is not that big. This is my experience, (one more year to go!!), but good luck!

When you pick your courses, I could send you some really good resources if you would like!

Hope this helps!

Absolutely helpful :) thank you so much ! 

8 hours ago, IBcat said:

It is true @ybna that there is not much difference between Eng (HL) and (SL), So concentrate on subjects that you are good at like to study and pursue in the future. Try checking out the syllabus for each subject before you dive deep. Your choice of subject solely depends on what you want to pursue in the future. Check your pre-requisite options for a few undergrad schools if you are not sure about the subject you should study. I have taken Che HL too. It's a subject to be studied in great depth but it depends on how much basics you know and of course your teacher. I have a wonderful teacher for Che. In fact I've also taken Che for my EE. I'm also planning to study Che in college. So I think that's why I picked it.

Hope this helps :))

Thank you for your suggestions!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/16/2020 at 10:47 AM, ybna said:

Hope this helps!

could you please share all good resources for english as well @ybna? Thank you so much!

On 7/16/2020 at 8:17 AM, ybna said:

Hope this helps!

I would also like to refer to the mentioned resources please!