ONLY SL Math

steam.rice.sally

Perhaps you don't have qualified enough teachers at hand. As with all other HL courses, the teacher must have some sort of experience or qualification in teaching Math HL. Otherwise, it may see Math HL as an unpopular subject and decided to leave it out in fear that only a few students will take it, transferring the possible funds used here to something else.

Move to another school if you want it as an option or complain to the administrators of your school.

That's something you should take up with your IBC. Math HL is a tough course and maybe your school felt not enough students were up for the challenge. My school has canceled HL for the 2010 session and most likely for subsequent sessions (especially if the 2009 session doesn't do well!), so all diploma students must take Methods.

[quote name='steam.rice.sally' post='36598' date='Feb 13 2009, 08:32 AM']I demand to know why the IB program I attend only offers Math in SL. How come we don't get to indulge in HL?? That is not fair.[/quote]

My school really encourages us to choose maths HL and I think there are about 15 students having it in my year. But it all depends on money, and maybe your school doesn't think it's worth it. We weren't allowed to take music or geography this year, and some groups are pretty big.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Tilia' post='37373' date='Feb 19 2009, 09:04 AM']My school really encourages us to choose maths HL and I think there are about 15 students having it in my year. But it all depends on money, and maybe your school doesn't think it's worth it. We weren't allowed to take music or geography this year, and some groups are pretty big.[/quote]
MY school thinks no one will Pass the HL also they probably dont have a competent enough teacher for HL.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='steam.rice.sally' post='36598' date='Feb 13 2009, 03:32 AM']I demand to know why the IB program I attend only offers Math in SL. How come we don't get to indulge in HL?? That is not fair.[/quote]

Same with our year.
The teachers did not think that we were good enough to make up a class of 30 HL math students (Public school ><)

However, I really think that you're better off with SL Math :)

it may be due to the fact that you have not been doing the ib curriculum long enough, or that you're teachers are not qualified. our school offers studies SL and HL , and i hadn't even heard of further maths until the other day, so i thnk most schools only offer some of the four options :)