Math IA- Plug in calculator or work out by hand?

JFM

Hi guys. I am currently considering doing a maths IA that involves logarithmic regression. Whilst I understand that a logarithmic regression line can be worked out by plugging it into a GDC (like the ones my school uses), will we still be awarded for calculating it by hand, using formulae step-by-step, rather than letting the calculator do it all for us?

On 7/1/2020 at 6:22 AM, JFM said:

Hi guys. I am currently considering doing a maths IA that involves logarithmic regression. Whilst I understand that a logarithmic regression line can be worked out by plugging it into a GDC (like the ones my school uses), will we still be awarded for calculating it by hand, using formulae step-by-step, rather than letting the calculator do it all for us?

It depends on the topic of your IA. If you really need to calculate it by hand to show exactly what you are doing and to demonstrate your knowledge then go ahead. However, using a GDC will not make you seem any dumber as long as you show what you are doing. Sometimes it is not worth wasting your time calculating by hand.

Also I want to mention that your IA should cover more than one topic (ex. trigonometry, calculus, statistics) so your IA should not be just calculating by hand (I assume you aren't just going to do that right?). Good luck!!

Edited by cookies340