Chemistry or Computer Science for Software Engineering?

efeek2709

Hi! I found software engineering quite interesting and I'm planning to study in either US or Canada. I know that most Canadian universities require chemistry for every engineering programs, even software engineering, but do US universities have the same requirement? Or they prefer CS instead of chemistry (since I heard that software engineering is closer to computer science rather than chemistry.)

Any inputs will be kindly appreciated :) and sorry there is any mistake in the grammar

2 hours ago, efeek2709 said:

Hi! I found software engineering quite interesting and I'm planning to study in either US or Canada. I know that most Canadian universities require chemistry for every engineering programs, even software engineering, but do US universities have the same requirement? Or they prefer CS instead of chemistry (since I heard that software engineering is closer to computer science rather than chemistry.)

Any inputs will be kindly appreciated :) and sorry there is any mistake in the grammar

You would have to research the programs in specific universities but if you choose either of them, you can still take AP courses (which have equivalent university credits) for them. For example, if you take Chemistry for IB then you could take an AP exam for Computer Science and vice versa. Another option would be to take summer school and finish Grade 11 and 12 for that course. I would highly recommend taking your AP exams either in Grade 10 or 11 (but Grade 11 would be a busier year) so study hard and don't miss the chance.

13 hours ago, cookies340 said:

You would have to research the programs in specific universities but if you choose either of them, you can still take AP courses (which have equivalent university credits) for them. For example, if you take Chemistry for IB then you could take an AP exam for Computer Science and vice versa. Another option would be to take summer school and finish Grade 11 and 12 for that course. I would highly recommend taking your AP exams either in Grade 10 or 11 (but Grade 11 would be a busier year) so study hard and don't miss the chance.

Hi! Thank you for your input! Unfortunately, my school doesn't have any AP courses and sometimes US universities give less specific IB requirements. I ever contacted the UC Irvine admissions via email and this is their reply:

Thank you for your email! We are excited to hear about your interest in UC Irvine. If you would like detailed information on international admission requirements, please follow this link. To be considered for admission to UC Irvine, you must meet the same subject requirements for admission as all other applicants, complete secondary school, and have earned a certificate of completion that enables you to be admitted to a university in your home country. This certificate should be equivalent to a U.S. high school diploma. Alongside, you must have completed the following academic subject requirements:

• 2 years of history (in place of U.S. History, history of your country)
  • 4 years of English (or in the language of instruction at your school)
  • 3 years (four years recommended) of college-preparatory mathematics*                           *Math courses taken in the seventh and eighth grades/intermediate school may be used to fulfill part of this requirement. Integrated math courses (e.g. Math I, Math II, etc.) with geometry content may be equated with a standard course in geometry.
  •  2 years of college-preparatory laboratory science, including or integrating topics that provide fundamental knowledge in two of these three subjects: biology, chemistry, or physics
  • 2 years of a second language
  • 1 yearlong course (or 2 semesters) of visual and performing arts
  • 1 additional course from any subject areas above

In addition to subject requirements, students whose secondary/high school was completed in a country where English was not the language of instruction, or if you have less than three years of high school curriculum instruction in English in the U.S., you are required to demonstrate English proficiency. If you would like the know ways to demonstrate English proficiency, please follow this link.

For all other inquiries, please contact an International Admissions Counselor at the link below.

They also gave me this link: 

https://mx.technolutions.net/ss/c/VpDhrCrvzjOrNk6AZ3TbHp42FFP6ZvWTLr3CYLEQjSDpn-Pkn_sCxEqdBvgTJKnbK--beU8HQi4lG-DUpWWoZA/32u/C55A4XAYQ8KL6uTGMJ5dKA/h1/YLDHTJ-q6j9MIQ_T1GVo7alcUqFzlixNkKwoICevP9w

which only include the minimum points required and the UCI catalog. The UCI catalog only give the give the unit credit for every IB subject scores (not the subjects required for specific engineering programs), but they require  2 years of college-preparatory laboratory science, including or integrating topics that provide fundamental knowledge in two of these three subjects: biology, chemistry, or physics, so I guess it is safer to go with chemistry?