Jump to content

Choosing between Chem Hl vs English HL lang lit

Recommended Posts

Hey guys, I am a 2021 nov grad, and cause of corona, everything is stuffed.

 

I just completed my first exams, and things are not looking good. I got a 50% for chem sl and a 5/40 for english hl paper 1- apparently because i compared instead of individually analyzing.

 

Anyway, I have to decided to dedicate my entire life to studying for my remaining time in IB. I got a chem tutor, and he recommend that I switch my Chem Sl to Chem Hl, because apparently English Hl is much much much harder to get a 6 or 7 in the long term game!

But for english Hl, its seems like I barely need to put work in and I just feel like whatever I do I cant get top marks.

BUT, the problem is, ENglish HL is similar to English Sl and I dont want to risk getting worse grades or doing chem HL when english sl seems extremely similar.

I am not a huge fan of Chem Sl, but i am student who would rather study content with specific objectives, and trust me I am willing to put in like 5 hours a day studying

 

Whats your opinion, what should I do?? 

I AM HERE FOR THE MARKS, and would love some advicet.

 

HELP!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, copper said:

Hey guys, I am a 2021 nov grad, and cause of corona, everything is stuffed.

I just completed my first exams, and things are not looking good. I got a 50% for chem sl and a 5/40 for english hl paper 1- apparently because i compared instead of individually analyzing.

Anyway, I have to decided to dedicate my entire life to studying for my remaining time in IB. I got a chem tutor, and he recommend that I switch my Chem Sl to Chem Hl, because apparently English Hl is much much much harder to get a 6 or 7 in the long term game!

But for english Hl, its seems like I barely need to put work in and I just feel like whatever I do I cant get top marks.

BUT, the problem is, ENglish HL is similar to English Sl and I dont want to risk getting worse grades or doing chem HL when english sl seems extremely similar.

I am not a huge fan of Chem Sl, but i am student who would rather study content with specific objectives, and trust me I am willing to put in like 5 hours a day studying

Whats your opinion, what should I do?? 

I AM HERE FOR THE MARKS, and would love some advicet.

HELP!!

Hello. 

I would not recommend to change Chem SL to Chem HL.

 

First, Chemistry HL is one of the hardest HL subjects with Math HL and Physics HL. 

You got a 50% in Chem SL, which is a high 4, so I don't think that putting Chem HL would be the best idea to maximize your grade.

Also, Chem HL has much more material to learn by heart and to study than English A HL. You mentioned that you are not really passionate about chemistry, then it is a bad idea. 

 

Second, if I were you, I would stick to English A HL, and find a tutor to really master the books and the techniques that you've studied. For this, you should maybe try to find past papers, write an essay each week and know your mistakes. 

People around me have 6 or 7 more easily in English A than for Chemistry HL. 

I hope this helped you! 

Yours sincerely

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sarahaction said:

Hello. 

I would not recommend to change Chem SL to Chem HL.

First, Chemistry HL is one of the hardest HL subjects with Math HL and Physics HL. 

You got a 50% in Chem SL, which is a high 4, so I don't think that putting Chem HL would be the best idea to maximize your grade.

Also, Chem HL has much more material to learn by heart and to study than English A HL. You mentioned that you are not really passionate about chemistry, then it is a bad idea. 

Second, if I were you, I would stick to English A HL, and find a tutor to really master the books and the techniques that you've studied. For this, you should maybe try to find past papers, write an essay each week and know your mistakes. 

People around me have 6 or 7 more easily in English A than for Chemistry HL. 

I hope this helped you! 

Yours sincerely

hey thanks for the advice. I really mean it.

I feel like personally English is too subjective, because i really don't know how to study for  it, unlike chem where you have direct objectives. Do you do chem HL, how do you find it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, copper said:

hey thanks for the advice. I really mean it.

I feel like personally English is too subjective, because i really don't know how to study for  it, unlike chem where you have direct objectives. Do you do chem HL, how do you find it?

You're welcome! 

It is true that English is subjective, however if you know how to answer questions, you are able to get a 7 with your teacher or your teacher.

Keep telling your teacher constantly that you have motivation and you want to get a good grade, because this can help you for your predicted grades. 

Here is a video that can help you: 

 


For your second question, yes, I take Chemistry HL.  

Chemistry requires a lot of memorization, especially in organic chemistry and the calculations in acid and bases are hard. 

Remember that you need more time to study chemistry than English A. People mostly spend less time on studying languages than sciences. 

I hope this helped you! :) 

Yours sincerely

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...