Jump to content

This petition should be signed!

Recommended Posts

 

Hi there!

You are doing a great job since most of you were in lock down due to COVID-19. 

I would welcome everyone to sign this petition: 

https://www.change.org/p/ib-make-the-international-baccalaureate-organization-ibo-to-reduce-content-for-m2021?recruiter=915042427&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=abi_gmail&utm_campaign=address_book&utm_term=280af2aecb4e45b695526ec8026a2982&recruited_by_id=16e6dd50-eae1-11e8-9d35-e3bf6fb89d7b

In fact, the aim of this petition is to reduce the content of what class of 2021 students should learn in the IB. Due to online learning which seems to be ineffective for most of the students, this petition helps students to learn more efficiently.

Less content means that we can have more time to focus on other work such as our IAs and it also reduces the burden. 

Have a nice holiday! :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just out of curiosity, how do you imagine this could work? I mean some schools have done already some content that others didn't probably, so some would be negatively affected, e.g. when for chemistry topics 18, 19, 20 are cancelled for HL and a shool has done this but hasn't done the topics 14, 15, 16 (for some reason) then students from that school would be disadvantaged (as the topics they have done wouldn't be useful and still have to do topics)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChocolateAndVanilla said:

just out of curiosity, how do you imagine this could work? I mean some schools have done already some content that others didn't probably, so some would be negatively affected, e.g. when for chemistry topics 18, 19, 20 are cancelled for HL and a shool has done this but hasn't done the topics 14, 15, 16 (for some reason) then students from that school would be disadvantaged (as the topics they have done wouldn't be useful and still have to do topics)

Teachers always start by teaching from chapter 1, then move to other chapters because you should gain skills from chapters at start in order to learn other chapters. Chapters at the beginning contain basic skills, therefore if you don't know them, you can't understand other chapters. 

That is why students would not get disadvantaged from not learning chapters at the end, as you mentioned. In addition, chapters at the end are harder than chapters at the beginning. So students will take more time to revise chapters at the end, as well as coping with other workloads such as IAs, EE, and TOK, if the content is not reduced. 

It is better to fully understand specific chapters clearly, rather than going too fast and not having time to fully understand everything in the syllabus.

In conclusion, that is why I think that this petition can work. 

Edited by sarahaction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sarahaction said:

Teachers always start by teaching from chapter 1, then move to other chapters because you should gain skills from chapters at start in order to learn other chapters. Chapters at the beginning contain basic skills, therefore if you don't know them, you can't understand other chapters. 

That is why students would not get disadvantaged from not learning chapters at the end, as you mentioned. In addition, chapters at the end are harder than chapters at the beginning. So students will take more time to revise chapters at the end, as well as coping with other workloads such as IAs, EE, and TOK, if the content is not reduced. 

It is better to fully understand specific chapters clearly, rather than going too fast and not having time to fully understand everything in the syllabus.

In conclusion, that is why I think that this petition can work. 

well, I don't agree with you. don't say that teachers always start, because you probably don't know all teachers in all IB schools and some of them have different methods of teaching and may do the topic in a different order, your assumption is way too generalised.

for example, we did 9 and 19 topics for chemistry, but haven't done topic 4 and 14 for instance, because this is how our teacher said would be the best way.

same goes for biology, we did e.g. topic 9 and 10, but haven't done topic 6 (which I believe is actually more difficult)

so this petition would work probably only if by any chance we knew about the pandemic at the start of IBY1 so in August-September 2019 and so teachers could adjust the content. or, if the current situation continues for a longer period of time, it could be a solution to the class of 2022 possibly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ChocolateAndVanilla said:

well, I don't agree with you. don't say that teachers always start, because you probably don't know all teachers in all IB schools and some of them have different methods of teaching and may do the topic in a different order, your assumption is way too generalised.

for example, we did 9 and 19 topics for chemistry, but haven't done topic 4 and 14 for instance, because this is how our teacher said would be the best way.

same goes for biology, we did e.g. topic 9 and 10, but haven't done topic 6 (which I believe is actually more difficult)

so this petition would work probably only if by any chance we knew about the pandemic at the start of IBY1 so in August-September 2019 and so teachers could adjust the content. or, if the current situation continues for a longer period of time, it could be a solution to the class of 2022 possibly.

Generally, teachers do their lesson from chapters at the beginning, even though it can differ from school. 

Even though certain chapters are studied, you still need to study them because you won't remember 100% of the content so it takes more time than when the content is not reduced. 

Not reducing content leaves us less time for revision because you should do workloads that you didn't finish in IBY1 in YBY2.

Also, reducing content can bridge the gap between schools that have done the online school and schools that didn't do the online school. 

My coordinator told me that schools in certain states in the US (he didn't precise which states were), teachers were not allowed to assign work and to do online classes for students. Doing all the content that they did not do and the workload for those students in IBY2 is more overwhelming to them, compared to other students that did the online school. 

It causes more burden for the students and for the teachers because they are behind schools that have done online classes. There is still time to think about this solution.

Edited by sarahaction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...