Portfolio Type 1

CommeDesEnfants

This might be a little silly, but what exactly is a math portfolio? My math teacher didn't really clarify, and we got a practice one due Monday that won't count for anything but is nevertheless still a large task. It is a Type I and is on the subject of sin waves (ex. y=2sin). I've discovered that the properties seem to be really similar to parabolas (ie. vertical expansion, etc.) but what I'm confused with is what exactly am I supposed to do? Write an essay? Explain everything in great detail? :/ It's apparently an older one from 1998, so supposedly it's "easier," but I'm not sure.

Also, what's a good graphing program I can use to post graphs? Or, should I hand graph it to the best of my ability?

The portfolios normally (I think that always but I'm not sure) have about five questions that help you to know the problem and the lasts questions are the really questions (the most complex). You simply have to solve the questions, be careful with your answers; try to explain it to one friend who doesn't know the problem, when he/she have understood it, you will have solid answers.

And to graph the functions I recommend you to use GeoGebra (free) or Maple (not free, you can found it in the net).

I hope to be useful. Sorry for my bad English, I have to improve it.

Tyrannitar, I recommend you take a look at one of the example portfolios found here on this site.
Basically your portfolio task should be written in essay form, where you address the questions one by one.
Also, bear in mind that a May 98 task won't be any easier than May 09, the syllabus hasn't really become harder. ^_^

I can say that MathType is a programme that can be easily used. It was recommended by our maths teacher.
This seems to be not free and you probably can only download a 30-Days Trial version, but if the trial days are over,
the thing transforms itself into MathType Lite which is perfectly fine to use as well. (And perfectly adequate for even HL Maths)

Thank you Toffu-san for giving information! ^_^ Will help me a lot I think.
Everytime I see you though, I apologize yourself for your "bad english"
It's not bad, have some confidence, and it can't be bad when you are taking English A2 level. :)

[quote name='hermine0817' post='37976' date='Feb 23 2009, 07:30 PM'][...]
Everytime I see you though, I apologize yourself for your "bad english"
It's not bad, have some confidence, and it can't be bad when you are taking English A2 level. :D [/quote]

Maybe, but I'm not totally sure of it. But at any rate I prefer to be humble before be proud and make some mistakes.

Edited by Toffu-san

[quote name='deissi' post='37942' date='Feb 23 2009, 04:44 AM']Tyrannitar, I recommend you take a look at one of the example portfolios found here on this site.
Basically your portfolio task should be written in essay form, where you address the questions one by one.
Also, bear in mind that a May 98 task won't be any easier than May 09, the syllabus hasn't really become harder. :D [/quote]
I was thinking of looking at the examples found here, but I'm not a VIP member yet.