What are your CAS activities

Guest cl0ckw0rk0range

Well what I did was for service I went an volunteered at a local hospital...it was benefical in the sense that I wanted to get a better feel for the medicine field. I got to work in different departments and felt like I had a better idea of that realm. I would definitly have to say take part in something that you are geniuenly interested in. CAS is really about expanding your borders but that doesn't mean that you can't do it with something you already like. I have never actually helped on a proffesional level like a hospital so it was surely a new and eye opening experience. I will have to say that service and action were the easiest for me....I am still working on the creativity part by helping a school theatre production.

Have fun with, don't stress too much :)

I'll be starting my first year of IB in a few weeks and here's a few things I am a part of already that I hope to continue:

Creativity: Theatre

Action: Horse Back Riding

Service: Tutoring

Of course I'll be a part of other things as well, but these are the main things that I enjoy doing! :)

• 1 month later...

I actually do A LOT of extracurriculars, but I can only count a few of them for CAS. :(

I've done piano for almost 9 years, so I can count that for creativity, although it's a little difficult to find someone to sign off on it right now because I currently don't have a teacher.

Action is a challenge because I'm VERY uncoordinated and also fail at running, but I'm actually a pretty good distance swimmer, so I've been doing that! Unfortunately I'm not on a team, so I also need to work on finding some sort of sponsor.

For service, I'm a volunteer tutor for elementary children at a local community center. I've also applied to go on a service trip to Guatemala next summer with some other people from IB Spanish, so hopefully I'll be able to get some hours for that, as well.

The only thing that my school offers on a regular basis is a Food For All program one day a month where we prepare, package, and deliver food to homeless people. Usually we get about 3(ish) hours a session. There is other stuff that pops up periodically, but usually it is only one to two hours for it. The rest is up to you.

I get mine through the Food For All program, Model UN, tutoring middle year children in music, various performances for band, and a few random things. I am seriously lacking in action hours :/

• 2 weeks later...

Finishing up first year of IB...

1. Coaching soccer team (Creativity, Action , & Service)
  2. Playing cricket (Action)
  3. Playing soccer (Action)
  4. Guitar practice (Creativity)
  5. On school leadership team so anything that I do to help out counts towards my CAS (Service)

Will probably do some more things, like my Duke of Ed hikes but I have enough hours doing these things to cover the 150 :)

Edited by stephyjd

• 1 month later...

I don't understand though... How are we suppose to prove any of the stuff we do? For example how are we suppose to prove that we are in the process of learning a new instrument (im planning on learning the saxophone) such as hours and stuff.

I have some ideas for CAS.. are these reasonable? :

- Training and learning to become a life guard as well as getting my life guard license with Red Cross. (maybe action)

-Learning how to play the saxophone and possibly preforming at nursing homes, preschool, shelters etc. (Maybe C/S)

First year.

Aikido 'Self defense' (creativity, action)

School Basketball team (action)

School Football team (action)

Arabic teacher (service)

School Newspaper ''writer/editor'' (creativity, service)

School UN/MUN club (creativity, service)

Prediction is to complete 73% of 150 hours by end of IB1

• 1 month later...

School band, twice a week-creativity

Debate club, once a week-creativity

Interact club, once or twice a week (we focus in global and local issues)-service, creativity

Social Justice Club, once a week-service

Beagle paws, once a week (animal rescue)-service, activity

Swimming, six times a week-action

Yoga, twice a week-action

Personally, the school has nothing to do with our CAS activities. We can sign up to volunteer through the school or do extracurricular from the school for CAS, but there's no requirement to do so nor a centralized program for CAS hours. Personally, CAS hours for me consist of my Martial Arts (teaching and learning), squash, my personal drumming, playing in a band with others, volunteering around - for me, I find CAS right now is just formalizing what I do regularly to fulfill my school's requirement of 75 hours for a Certificate student.

• 2 weeks later...

My most notable CAS was for being chairman for swedens largest youth theater club and a member of the board since my pre-DP year. After that i held a cooking class for students at my school during a year.

i went on a hike

created a cookbook

tried tae kwan do

went swimming

knitted

went around and advertised the IB for my school

renovated a club room at school

• 2 weeks later...

At my school, they don't offer opportunities but we do have club things at school. So this includes present and future activities

CREATIVITY:

Music lessons (Not sure if I can use them)

Art lessons

Beethoven and Mozart concert, 4 hours (I convinced them it was educational, which it is, since I'm in Music SL)

ACTION:

SunRun (A big run, includes training and blah blah, 15 hours)

More things eventually

SERVICE:

Immigrant welcoming group

Tutoring (Math and Music)

At my school, as long as you can prove that it fits within the goals on managebac, it will pass. But CAS is the most annoying part of IB. But not that bad once you get into it.

• 1 month later...

My CAS group has just started a pen pal program! We're working with an elementary school, and the kids will be sending letters to kids in Canada. Both are PYP schools.

We're also thinking about extending this program to orphanages. We would like to pen pal with kids in orphanages ourselves.

We have to do action as a part of our individual hours. I'm doing a combination of exercises, from running on the treadmill to doing yoga.

I am president of Student Council and Interact Club as well as a Relay for Life team captain, so my service hours are in the bag. I'm in the school's musical production every year and I've done NYSSMA solos and various other music things so my creativity hours are all set as well.

It's the action hours I'm worried about. I don't play sports or anything...I'm hoping I can use physical therapy for some hours...

Seeing as I've finally finished CAS, I think it'd be good to post what I've done here.

• C/S: Started a programme at my school to teach the Mandarin- and Tamil-speaking support staff conversational English
  • C: Singing
  • C: School Production
  • C: Photography
  • A: Fencing
  • A: Archery
  • A: Dance (Jazz)
  • S: Volunteered at a school for children with Down's syndrome, autism and physical impairments

My school didn't follow the 50 hour rule, but rather we had to fulfil certain criteria in order to pass CAS.

Edited by carpediem

Creativity: Orchestra, debate, korean debate

Service: Recycling(not doing it anymore), Journalism, various orchestra performances, tutoring, performance at red cross home for the disabled

Action: Tennis, Taekwondo

Edited by JYC

• 2 weeks later...

Creativity: writing poetry, drawing,

Action: hitting the gym, power-walking, swimming

Service: teaching English and Mathematics, volunteered a number of times as giving out food and drinks to homeless, volunteer as at a Charity Fashion Event, volunteered at a poetry exhibition,

Creativity: scrapbooking, participating in a fundraising club(plan details of fundraising events and design posters, so I counted it as creativity) also a translator position (translate English documents into Chinese for a club)

Action: badminton training and badminton school team

Service: volunteering at an after school program at an elementary school, be a CS student at school (basically helping a specific teacher to do random stuff:) )