What are your CAS activities

Guest cl0ckw0rk0range

Creativity:

• Singing lessons
  • Designed a t-shirt for an activity camp
  • Designed a t-shirt for a youth organization
  • Senior Choir
  • Participating in several band competitions... three, to be exact.

Action:

• Recycling club
  • Retreat photographer (I guess this could be counted as Creativity but I was in need of Action hours...and it was approved anyway)
  • Photographer for activity camp (I learnt so much from this experience, I got to work with so many great photographers)

Service:

• Collecting & selling secondhand clothes from my neighborhood (this was possible since there aren't any Goodwills or thrift shops where I live)
  • Ushering at the school's University Fair
  • Participating in my school's 'The Supply' Club
  • Chapel Band

I actually really enjoy doing CAS activities, hahaha. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Creativity - Robotics ( participated in IIT- B competetion and this alone counted 30 hours), 200 paper bags ( very stressful) and paper elephant ( even more stressful :D )

Action- Sports ( A Good excuse to outside and play), trek,field trips

Service- Visit to orphanages, volunteers for the school function and many more. :)

MUN, debating, Tennis, Badminton, running the school student newspaper and AWL (animal welfare league), being a youth ambassador for Red Cross, participating in INternational Club, GSA (non-leadership role), basically I have a club for everyday of the week, plus the two sports

• 3 months later...

Creativity: Online web forum for our school's IB community and few hours contributed to making an announcement poster for it.

Action: Football / Ping Pong / Muay Thai

Service: Helping a charity center with computer works, food arrangements in food events that are concerned with donations to the charity, teaching the making of cotton bracelets to mentally backward teenagers.

I was wondering...but can self-teaching an instrument count for CAS hours?

Umm... You would have to ask your CAS coordinator, but I am pretty sure there has to be someone that records how many hours of practice you are taking.

In my school we do a mixture of Creativity, Action and Service when we help NGOs (we paint, take ceramic courses, teach and help poor kids with no resources) , design and carry out campaigns to collect food, cleaning supplies, or go and do trekking, between other things. Around chritsmas we come up with a play and we go and present it in different foster houses for children with no resources and we take gifts for the kids.

It's really nice :)

My school has almost no CAS provided to us, so we kind of make it up as we go. And my school doesn't require a specific amount of hours, is that weird?

Anyways...

Creativity: sketching, poems, the occasional painting or sculpture. Also musical theatre and choir.

Service: I volunteer at a hospital over the summer for 20 hrs a week. During the year I do jobs at animal shelters and soup kitchens, and I read to and tutor elementary school children in Spanish.

Action: Usually involves running or weights. Once, I did a cross-training competition to benefit studies for Autism, and that was fun :clap: I also grow my hair out REALLY long and I donate it when I get it cut (usually I get around 14 inches chopped off).

CAS is something that people complain about nearly constantly, but the only thing that irks me is the write-ups..

In our school we have to have a "continous flow" of CAS. We have do to it regularily, so we have to do CAS 3-4h (or more) per week and have to include all C-A-S in that and if we have all CAS hours we still need to continue until we end, in the same pase :blah: I think it is to scare people, because so many in my school wasn't rewarded the diploma because they failed CASOtherwise, the things I plan to do:

Creativity:
Paint and sell the paintings and donate the money to a cause.
Join the school musical and or a choir
Teach my dog tricks and agility
Learning Russian

Action:
Yoga every day
Go to the gym and do my gym routine
Run a "fun run" like colorrun
Try out Rowing

Service:
Volunteer for MUF
Volunteer for the Red Cross
Go WOOF-ing over the summer

:hmmm:

I was wondering...but can self-teaching an instrument count for CAS hours?

Umm... You would have to ask your CAS coordinator, but I am pretty sure there has to be someone that records how many hours of practice you are taking.

In my school we do a mixture of Creativity, Action and Service when we help NGOs (we paint, take ceramic courses, teach and help poor kids with no resources) , design and carry out campaigns to collect food, cleaning supplies, or go and do trekking, between other things. Around chritsmas we come up with a play and we go and present it in different foster houses for children with no resources and we take gifts for the kids.

It's really nice :)

Oh that sounds very nice! unfortunately my school doesn't have any organizations like that.

Hmm alright I guess I'll get a tutor for violin then to record my hours. How about compositions? Like Ive created two piano compositions lately and posted them on YouTube, would creating compositions count for creativity hours?

I only started CAS this summer, and have to date only 11.5 hours haha. So far I've been only doing creativity and service hours; learning ASL (sign language) and playing guitar, and volunteering at my city's Canadian Cancer Society office. For action I plan on running and curling. I'm not sure about my school's service project, but I think it's a trip to Jamaica.

• 2 weeks later...

Service:

The W.E.B. DuBois honor society and I organized a freshman shadowing event where freshman shadowed upperclassman enrolled in rigorous classes so that these freshman in on level classes would be motivated to take the next step in their education. We answered questions they had and helped them get around school. We gave them advice on how to succeed in high school and what kinds of decisions to make. I helped plan and initiate this activity along with work collaboratively with my freshman shadow.

-Naomi Fassil

Service - go to a school and teach english, sell waffles to raise money to but medicine for poor children, give classes to 3-4 year olds

Creativity - Make stuff that then we sell to raise money for other CAS activities

Action- Play sports, do a play ....

• 3 weeks later...

I only started CAS this summer, and have to date only 11.5 hours haha. So far I've been only doing creativity and service hours; learning ASL (sign language) and playing guitar, and volunteering at my city's Canadian Cancer Society office. For action I plan on running and curling. I'm not sure about my school's service project, but I think it's a trip to Jamaica.

Will I get CAS hours if I learn sign language from youtube?

• 2 weeks later...

Creativity- Stage Crew (Designing sets, lights, costumes etc)

Action-Fencing Classes and Hula (Will be 30 hours upon completion)

Service- Stage Manager for a play, Lead Lights for play, Lights for play, Lights for Dance Show, Lights for Talent Show, Summer Reading Progaram for Kids, Homework Center for Kids

• 4 months later...

I got the bulk of my CAS hours for action - I played rugby last spring and surprisingly, the practices and games add up!

I've been doing Junior Achievement for the last few years as well, so I managed some creativity hours from this year. Last year our business was a dinner theatre to raise money for a cancer support centre, so that counted as service.

Other than that, I've done a lot of smaller activities to pick up 2-20 hours .... tutoring, school clubs, work outs, children's camps,etc.

My school also allows the IB 11 class each year to host some sort of awareness activity to gain CAS. In my grade 11 year, we held an Operation Christmas Child event over the course of a month, and this year the 11's held a large bottle drive to raise funds/2L pop bottles for an initiative our coordinator's friend does with solar power in Haiti, I believe.

The hardest part of CAS is getting started!

• 1 month later...

OH MY GOD!! CAS is so easy for everyone, you guys are all lucky that you have clubs at your school that you can join! For creativity I am learning how to play the guitar by a friend, sometimes I do baking. For service I volunteered at a flea market to sell books at the book section and I got 10 hours from that, also for service I made cookies that I went around the neighborhood with my friends and sold and the money went to charity (Philippines typhoon victims), also for service I am a guide at my school for 9th graders this month and the last thing I did was sell waffles and the money goes to poor widows in SriLanka. For action I haven't done much-I live in Norway and unbelievable as it is, I have no idea of what to do. I only had P.E. a couple of times at the school gym, I did some basketball and field hockey and rope but in general I have no idea about what to do.