What are your CAS activities

Guest cl0ckw0rk0range

Ideas for CAS activities:

C

- Model UN (I don't attend the club meetings but I suppose that counts too. Conferences count for sure.)

- Music (piano, singing, learning a new instrument)

- Learning dance by watching YT mirrored dance videos,

- Drawing for deviantart art contests

- Writing stories, knitting

- Web design

- Photography

- Debate

- Origami

- Video editing (making original animations or lyrics videos of songs, or fan-made music videos)

- Cooking (learn from your parents, or youtube cooking shows)

- Translating your favorite book to practice your language skills

- Tutoring (if you make your own teaching materials/prepare original lessons)

- Making tutorial videos like John Green's Crash Course etc.

- Band (as IB DP, ain't nobody got time for band. Creating a small with band with friends is possible though)

A

- Skiing (only went once but skiing trips usually take a whole day. 10 hours!)

- Zumba (school club)

- Sports teams

- Swimming

- School teams (soccer, badminton, ultimate, rugby, swimming, table tennis, track and field, cross country...)

S

- Playing piano at a senior home for entertainment (both creativity and service)

- Knitting to donate to charity (we have a school club who does this)

- Moderator/timekeeper for Parent-Teacher Interviews (I think it's our school who has people doing this...)

- Volunteer at the local library (or school library)

- Mowing neighbors' grass

- Tutoring

The problem with a lot of the activities is that it's hard to find an appropriate supervisor. Our school does not allow parents to be supervisors, so what I do is I do the activity with a fellow IBer (learning outcome: teamwork and collaboration) and I get his/her parents to sign my hours while my parents do the same to him/her. As for online activities, I get my parents to supervise me, and another adult (ex. neighbor) to sign my hours. My parents prove that I did the activity, but since they can't sign for me, another person can. Technically, this is acceptable. (although it kind of ruins the purpose)

To me, creativity is the easiest because you can learn a lot of new things by just watching youtube videos and tutorials. I upload all my CAS reflections on my wordpress blog (because managebac always sign out when I'm trying to write my reflection) and it counts for web design/management! Taking photos for CAS proof also counts for CAS photography. Trying to make doing CAS count for CAS. ;D I know that some people make facebook pages or tumblr blogs on tips for IB and that counts for creativity too. (If you can argue, service too) I like music, so I asked my coordinator if I can upload vocal covers on youtube and get CAS hours for it. My coordinator said yes, as long as your goal is not fame but to improve yourself. Student council and club executives is also a really good way to gain access to a variety of activities. If you can't be an executive, make a club!

CAS is all about stretching and arguing things. It's technically possible for an activity to fit under all learning outcomes most of the time. For example, if you say that you jogged around the park for fitness, your coordinator may not approve. But if you say that you have specific goal, let's say 5 laps around the park, and you can already achieve 3 laps, it seems like you're challenging yourself more. Same activity, you just have to use your fabulous wording. Kind of like debating. You must persuade your CAS coordinator into approving your activities!

Hope that gives some ideas for possible CAS activities.

I have done 2 MUNs
For Creativity, i learn the Tabla and Guitar.
For Action I play Basketball and Ultimate Frisbee.
For service i have helped out for an underprivileged school. I have been part of the organising committee for 2 Fundraisers.
How does all this sound?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

So far I have 

Creative: Singing, Violin, Dance

Action: Dance, Taekwondo, volunteering at children's camp (I led the fitness routine)

Service: volunteering at a hospital, volunteering at a non-profit children's summer camp, tutoring

How does that sound?

Edited by hpriya

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Creativity is the easiest for me, I sing and play the piano a lot and a lot of other random school activities count too, like debating. Action is pretty standard, soccer every week half the year, hockey the other half. Service is harder and time consuming as it doesn't fit in with my school timetable, but I volunteer tutoring special needs, i'll join a global committee and I help mind kids

Creativity is the easiest for me, I sing and play the piano a lot and a lot of other random school activities count too, like debating. Action is pretty standard, soccer every week half the year, hockey the other half. Service is harder and time consuming as it doesn't fit in with my school timetable, but I volunteer tutoring special needs, i'll join a global committee and I help mind kids

Oh interesting, is hockey popular in Australia?

Oh interesting, is hockey popular in Australia?

Yeah it's fairly popular

My C.A.S. is at the moment just volunteering at Crystal Bridges.  I need to come up with some good ideas.  I am thinking about starting a cricket club to play cricket...but this is America.  America has minimal interest in the sport of cricket.

For creativity I do Mock Trial, for action I do tennis lessons and I captain my school's cricket club, and for service I do some things on the Jersey Shore to clear up from Hurricane Sandy, I worked a sports day thing my school did for a school in Newark and I'm going on a service trip to India this summer

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Creativity - Technically I am in the Band Programme at my school, but it doesn't count for some reason (even if we spend basically 7 hours for a workshop 3 times a year), so then I am in the Clarinet Ensemble, which does count for CAS. I don't know if learning to play guitar counts as CAS, but maybe?? I also am in Jam Club (singing and playing guitar) and I joined in grade 10 when I only sang, but now I can also play guitar and play for others who need accompaniment when they are performing. I am an Exec for that club as well. 

Action - This one I really do not know what to do because I play Badminton, but out of a school where there are probably 500 people fighting for 12 spots for each grade, yeah... It's really hard to get in. So I need to find one for this. I skate sometimes, but not really regularly nor am I on a hockey team, though I really like casually playing hockey.

Service - I am a Mentor for a Peer Tutoring Club at my school, I volunteer along with a city organization and I also play a role at my community Church every week. 

I really don't know where to put Science Club as a CAS..... Hmmm... But I really need help on the Action bit. 

What exactly is the new updated version for CAS? What are the requirements and what do we need to do with them? I heard you have to make a scrapbook of some sorts, but also others said you write something about your experience. Is it a combination of both?

Edited by CAIBSurvivor