What are your CAS activities

1 minute ago, Natee said:

Will my dance in culture night in my school count for my CAS

generally speaking, yes. But it is always best to check with your coordinator with CAS questions as it varies greatly by school.

Creativity - Technically I am in the Band Programme at my school, but it doesn't count for some reason (even if we spend basically 7 hours for a workshop 3 times a year), so then I am in the Clarinet Ensemble, which does count for CAS. I don't know if learning to play guitar counts as CAS, but maybe?? I also am in Jam Club (singing and playing guitar) and I joined in grade 10 when I only sang, but now I can also play guitar and play for others who need accompaniment when they are performing. I am an Exec for that club as well. 

Action - This one I really do not know what to do because I play Badminton, but out of a school where there are probably 500 people fighting for 12 spots for each grade, yeah... It's really hard to get in. So I need to find one for this. I skate sometimes, but not really regularly nor am I on a hockey team, though I really like casually playing hockey.

Service - I am a Mentor for a Peer Tutoring Club at my school, I volunteer along with a city organization and I also play a role at my community Church every week. 

I really don't know where to put Science Club as a CAS..... Hmmm... But I really need help on the Action bit. 

What exactly is the new updated version for CAS? What are the requirements and what do we need to do with them? I heard you have to make a scrapbook of some sorts, but also others said you write something about your experience. Is it a combination of both?

Edited by CAIBSurvivor

I've completed by CAS mostly by being active in animal rights organisation, which counted as C,A and S, because there were lots of different kinds of activities to do. I also went on couple of conferences (animal rights oriented or MUN), did surveys on some problems like global warming or smoking and posted the results of it on our school website, engaged in some school activities, went paintball with friends, and that's basically it, CAS done before the IB1 finished :)  

• Like 1

On 22/10/2007 at 5:39 PM, deissi said:

spaceisland: It doesn't have to be very "sporty" (at least in my school), for example my sister got CAS for biking to school (8km), but it can also be like taking long walks and stuff.. Aerobic and synchronized swimming definitely count.

I personally don't have any problems with CAS since our supervisor isn't very strict :) . I get ~5 hours of action for Floorball every week, creatitivity for photography and service for refereeing floorball (I also get paid 17€/h for doing it :D )

I thought you couldn't get paid for service??

5 hours ago, imosz said:

I thought you couldn't get paid for service??

Students typically can't do something they get paid to do, however that depends entirely on your CAS Advisor. For example, I design phone cases and have a small online business with it which my CAS Advisor approved of in a heartbeat :D In the end, the IB isn't responsible for approving activities, your CAS Advisor is. Personally, I feel Service should definitely not allow payment because that defeats the whole purpose of community and service. However for Creativity, I feel like if you get paid for the work you do, it just makes it better because that shows the success of it.

Edited by sodonewithib
  • Like 1

On 1 December 2016 at 0:54 PM, sodonewithib said:

Students typically can't do something they get paid to do, however that depends entirely on your CAS Advisor. For example, I design phone cases and have a small online business with it which my CAS Advisor approved of in a heartbeat :D In the end, the IB isn't responsible for approving activities, your CAS Advisor is. Personally, I feel Service should definitely not allow payment because that defeats the whole purpose of community and service. However for Creativity, I feel like if you get paid for the work you do, it just makes it better because that shows the success of it.

My creativity is a mostly voluntary ( about 75% voluntary and 25% paid) job which includes working with children. I use a LOT of time on it, but even so I was told by my CAS coordinator that I had to donate all the money that I got, even if the job is 75% voluntary and I am doing it as creativity instead of service :crying:

//

As for my activity I am a member of the local tennis club where I play tennis, and for service I am a member of this project that is related to my school. 

Edited by dreamyslife
  • Like 1

I've already completed most of my hours, now just to BS through my reflections (already done 1 activity's worth of rubbish yay).  

Creativity is either MUN or a youth orchestra, both of which I've already done (and sum total of hours is over 100, so I'm just going to record 50 of one).  Issue is that the youth orchestra is outside of school, and I can't get a signature anymore, so I may just use MUN.

Action is skiing for 30 hours.  Just need 20 more hours - I'll see if there's some random gym group around I suppose.

Service is at school, which is also 50 hours.  We just do services like teaching children and helping with recycling.

My CAS project involves something known as Extra Life, where I literally play games and raise money through donors who watch.  I'd be surprised if I raised a cent from this tbh, but I suppose the most important thing is to learn something from it.  

i just started ib and i really wanna get over with my cas asap.. i wanna do anything simple. i have a month time so i wanna do as much as a i cann...can someone pleaase tell me what all i can do.i stay in india.

Creativity - I've got jazz band, a concert band, 2 theatre things, an improv team

Activity - marching band.... I'm not a physical activity-inclined person, if you can tell LOL

Service - everything I do for National Honour Society, volunteering with children's activities at a local library, volunteering with production/setup in my school's auditorium, Link crew

Still trying to figure out where some of my other activities fit within those three (quiz bowl, book club, GSA).

My current plan for CAS:

Creativity - Chess (I don't even know why chess is in "creativity" but my school claims it is XD)

Activity - Tennis or Badminton

Service - Tutoring children