What are your CAS activities

Guest cl0ckw0rk0range

Guest syrianstar
Doing a mission trip to Bolivia was my favorite thus far (forgot to get it pre-approved though :hug: ) So I'm counting the trip to Philadelphia, New York, and D.C. as my CAS which I am also looking forward to.

I can't beleive you forgot to get it approved lol! I hope you didn't lose too many hours over it :P

May I ask what you did / are going to do in Philadelphia, New York, and D.C to gain hours for CAS? It sounds really interesting ^_^

One activity that turned out really good for me was organising a FIELD TRIP for the IB students at my school (we're only 40..), it was really appreciated and we got credit for both creativity, action and service.

Another thing that I haven't done yet but will do during Autumn is decor painting on of the walls in our class room. The whole class will be involved in this project, we have decided a theme for the wall and will collect money for paint. We get creativity, action and service for that too.

Wow, you can get all three at the same time? Does that mean if you take like 4 hours to paint your classroom, you get credited for 4 hours of creativity, action AND service - 12 hours in total?

I'm in a choir for creativity, and it rocks cause we go like interstate for performances so that adds a lot of creativity points. It's also quite interesting - you can learn a skill or language and considering you are not sitting an exam on it and someone can supervise you, it counts! So I'm planning to learn Japanese and Juggling as part of my creativity.

For action, parkour really interests me and I'm planning to add that to my action, however, I need to get a supervisor =(.

I guess the best thing about it is that I can put hours into learning and honing my hobbies where previously were a waste of time, now is all for a better cause! =P

AURON

Guest syrianstar
Wow, you can get all three at the same time? Does that mean if you take like 4 hours to paint your classroom, you get credited for 4 hours of creativity, action AND service - 12 hours in total?

Auron - I don't think CAS hours work like that; it's more like if you take 4 hours to paint your classroom, 2 hours could be action, 1 hour could be creativity and 1 hour could be service. You have to break it up I think, since that was the total amount of time you took for your project (that is 4, not 12).

Best thing to do is to check with you IB coordinator :hug:

Auron - I don't think CAS hours work like that; it's more like if you take 4 hours to paint your classroom, 2 hours could be action, 1 hour could be creativity and 1 hour could be service. You have to break it up I think, since that was the total amount of time you took for your project (that is 4, not 12).

Best thing to do is to check with you IB coordinator :hug:

Yes, that's exactly how it works. Before all our CAS projects actually HAD to involve all three CAS aspects. However that's really efficient.

Edited by QueenSara

Guest syrianstar
I particularly loved my experiences with visiting an orphanage for my service. Even after my hours have completed, I persist on going there every week to teach the children maths and theatre.

Wow that's an amazing CAS activity! Not only do you get CAS hours for it, but it helps develop your personality and character what with being surrounded by children less fortunate than you.

Good job!

I knocked my Service hours out last summer by being a counselor at a kid's day camp. It was 8-5 for two weeks, so it was 90 hrs! I'm getting creativity hours from piano lessons, but I'm at a bit of a loss for Action... I've thought about taking Tai Chi lessons, but it's been difficult finding them.

Any suggestions for Action (for someone completely nonathletic)?

I knocked my Service hours out last summer by being a counselor at a kid's day camp. It was 8-5 for two weeks, so it was 90 hrs! I'm getting creativity hours from piano lessons, but I'm at a bit of a loss for Action... I've thought about taking Tai Chi lessons, but it's been difficult finding them.

Any suggestions for Action (for someone completely nonathletic)?

I'm not that athletic so I thought it would be hard for me gaining action hours, however, I take CAS as a challange and have tried out different sports etc. Another thing is that you can actually get credit for action hours when doing projects like the ones I mentioned above: organising a Field Day for other students, painting etc. I know you can get action for performing theathre etc. too, so it has not to be pure sport.

A really fun creativity/service activity is making a teddy bear to give to a sick child in hospital. :) Not only is it enjoyable to learn how to make a teddy bear, choose the fabric, name the bear, and even make a vest or something for it if you want, it's a good feeling knowing that you're going to put a smile on a child's face, a child who may be going through a really tough time.

A really fun creativity/service activity is making a teddy bear to give to a sick child in hospital. :) Not only is it enjoyable to learn how to make a teddy bear, choose the fabric, name the bear, and even make a vest or something for it if you want, it's a good feeling knowing that you're going to put a smile on a child's face, a child who may be going through a really tough time.

I love that idea! However, I don't have a hospital near here and how did you fix that practically, I mean, did you just go to the hospital and gave a child the teddy bear? :)

RED CROSS - the real thing ! You learn something for life, you can volunteer at a number of events - ie rock concerts etc. Depending on what you do, it can be C - A - S category.

Photography for Creativity - easy to do, adds lots of hours if you do it right. Flexible schedule, you can even do it while you commute to or from school.

Golf for activity is great - again flexible schedule, lots of hours....

Our Physics teacher was AMAZING, and after having him for two years, him providing us with bagels as special treats in early classes and organizing weekend study sessions before the exams at Panera or Starbucks, we decided he needed a gift in return.

(and we were all in desperate need of Creativity hours)

so after our exam is over (tomorrow! ahh!) we're spending the last few weeks before school gets out painting him a mural on the back wall of the class. He's a HUGE starwars fan so we're putting Yoda and Darth Vader, and the words "May the Force be with you" on the top. and F=ma in the middle :)

...get it? Force? :P

• Like 1

Guest billihay

I joined my local Rural Fire Service. It got me heaps of hours and I got to meet heaps of firefighters! Who could ask for anything more! :P

C: flute lessons, being on the yearbook committee, participation in house music/drama

A: karate lessons (soooooo much fun btw), house sport

S: volunteer tutoring for gifted kids at my school, helping year 7 kids with their transition into middle school, volunteer at an afterschool care program at a local primary school

Hope that helps ^__^

Remember: CAS IS NOT EVIL! If it weren't for CAS, we'd probably all lock ourselves into our rooms and study all day- and don't even try to deny it haha

I love that idea! However, I don't have a hospital near here and how did you fix that practically, I mean, did you just go to the hospital and gave a child the teddy bear? :)
Yeah same here, once I heard of it I really wanted to join!!

A teacher at my school has been organising this for quite a number of years, and I think students go in groups to the hospital to give the bears to the children (I haven't actually gone myself yet because I just started this activity).

Yeah same here, once I heard of it I really wanted to join!!

A teacher at my school has been organising this for quite a number of years, and I think students go in groups to the hospital to give the bears to the children (I haven't actually gone myself yet because I just started this activity).

Oh hey! Yeahhh! We had this similar thing, where everyone at school pitched in to fold thousands of paper cranes, right? Then we sorted them out in groups of a thousand, hund them on a hoop thing, and gave them to our local hospitals. Sweet, no?