What are your CAS activities

Guest cl0ckw0rk0range

creativity: Model United Nations, Student Council, Summer Camps, Tutoring (i get tutored), and a Book Club

Action: Swimming and Lacrosse

service: environmental group (i recycle for about an hour every friday afternoon), tutoring (i tutor), and volunteering at the local hospital once a week.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Hanoi to lend a hand to an orphanage there. It was a fantastic experience and it's kinda refreshing too.

Hundreds of scientific calculators were successfully iven to a boarding somewhere in the rural area.

I was dumbfounded with the new place and if it wasn't for the IB CAS program, I wouldn't be in Hanoi to experience all that.

Language was a barrier but thanks to the creative site of the brain, I managed to interact with the children there.

CAS is the best except for the incessant reports that need to be done after each activity. It's very tedious ,though....

• 3 weeks later...

yeah we have a number of chinese international student in our year and they find it extremelly difficult to find activities that they can do easily and well, especcialy for service

Creativity and action i think are the options that most schools offer in plenty. our school has school plays, sporting teams, debating, mocktrial, duke of ed, etc... but for service they seem to fall short wich is a tad annoying

This year however they hav orgainised a tanzania trip for people to go and provide aid for the orphans at the school over there which our school supports. This pretty much covers all of the crativit, action and service requirmetns for them.

the only other sevice thing that our school offers is a tutoring program.. but that only ran for a term and a half. so most of the CAS activities we do are outside of school. I do the gym, sewing, and visit a retirment village for mine

-soph x

Creativity: Music + Harmony lessons, guitar lessons, concerts in school, school bands

Action: Working out at the gym, cross-country and nordic skiing team, triathlon training

Service: Volunteering at sporting events and charity walks

Edited by KLSmash

For Creativity/Service I design and paint murals around the school. Me and a few friends also spend 12 hour days for 2, maybe 3 days if there's enough to do, helping to cover floats with fruit for the Citrus Parade! yay for florida oranges! (all the fruits goes right to charity in perfect shape after the parade)

And then for Action I'm on the colorguard, the people who dance/spin flags/toss rifles and sabres with the marching band during the fall. During the spring the more talented part of the group goes to competition with a routine (no marching band) that fits on a gym floor. It's a really little known activity. Or, if someone has heard of it, they think of the 1970's, where Guard members wore boots and high-stepped around the field making flags go around in circles... it's evolved a LOT since then, though some schools still have that type of thing going...

Guest heartarcade

I like the idea of CAS, but i do feel like people think I'm doing all my extra-circulars at school solely because I need the hours, whereas it is in fact quite the opposite.. I actually want to and enjoy doing them. At first, I thought I would struggled the most with service, since there arn't very many community service opportunities available for teenagers where I live, in comparison to where I used to live. However, our school has been fairly good at accommodating us, you just really need to figure out how you're going to get involved.

That being said..

for creativity, i've done model united nations, debating, ill be doing some music lessons, and creative writing workshops.

for action, i've got field hockey, cricket, and kayaking

for service, i've got organizing charity events, and helping out at various school events.

Edited by heartarcade

But wait... can you get hours for playing guitar even though i dont have a band because otherwise i would have like 150 hous right there.. and can you get hours for drawing and going to drawing classes?

Anyway that said

I have

C: helping non profit organization (drawing the designs for shirts) (10 h)

A: soccer (30 h)

S: Helping kids with math (20 h), and non profit organization (40 h)

But wait... can you get hours for playing guitar even though i dont have a band because otherwise i would have like 150 hous right there.. and can you get hours for drawing and going to drawing classes?

Anyway that said

I have

C: helping non profit organization (drawing the designs for shirts) (10 h)

A: soccer (30 h)

S: Helping kids with math (20 h), and non profit organization (40 h)

Yes, you can get crativity hours for playing guitar and for drawing :( Depends a little on your CAS coordinator though, some have harsh requirements!

• 3 weeks later...

well at our school we all sort of choose our own activities but the school runs a trip for a small number of kids to tanzania (africa) and yeh we go for 3 weeks and i went this year and got back about a month ago.

we helped build a classroom at one of the local schools and we hiked up mount meru and went on safari and everything.

this covered all 100 hours of our cas which is pretty snazzy

and it was the best trip ever at the same time.

i would go back anyday ;)

• 4 weeks later...
How's everyone doing on their CAS?

What activiities does your school offer (especially for Service)

For Service:

my school has a Cambodia trip with this ngo called hope international. obviously you have to pay but i went last year

and its defenitely a trip that changed my life. we stayed in a little town called pursat, between pnom penh and the famous ankor wat (cant spell)

and we help build wells and schools. my whole sense perseption (tok word there) changed, and i see the world in a completely different view - however cliche that sounds. im glad that i did ib,a nd that cas exists.

but i know a lot of people out there abo****ely despises cas.

tell me your opinions

what was hard/ what was easy?

for instance (im from japan), i realise that a lot of my friends who dont speak japanese (at a native level) have an even harder time finishing their out of school service - coz thers always communication/language boundaries.

whats it like with you?

I didn't find it very hard, because I finished everything in year 1

I did a whole bunch of assistant teaching, I taught swimming lessons and second language lessons, and participated in lifeguard courses, I talked to my IB director and he said those hours can be counted for all three...so it's just a matter of how I split the hours into...

I enjoyed my CAS hours, people would only despise them if they put it off until year 2...

I had doubts for myself when I entered year 2, but I just slapped myself everytime I give out a negative thought. I think IB is a great experience, with all the time management you have to learn, really prepares you for university. Although I can admit right now that I'm not too happy about all the writing and IAs we have to do... 8-)

IN my school they let us do many different things. they let us go wacky with the CAS activities. for example over the summer we went to help put in a shelter for refugees in Darfur. its a hell of an experience. Also the school should provide you with many different opportunities to do suff in and out of school. like for example right at this very minute i'm planning a fundraiser for building a Church.. u sound muslim syrianstar so why dont you build a mosque? hope i helped out!

Guest syrianstar
IN my school they let us do many different things. they let us go wacky with the CAS activities. for example over the summer we went to help put in a shelter for refugees in Darfur. its a hell of an experience. Also the school should provide you with many different opportunities to do suff in and out of school. like for example right at this very minute i'm planning a fundraiser for building a Church.. u sound muslim syrianstar so why dont you build a mosque? hope i helped out!

Did you go to Darfur in summer 08?? The experience must have been amazing and thrilling at the same time, because of how politically unstable the country is especially over the past months >.< wow well done, I'm really impressed.

The idea to build a mosque is brilliant, but would probably involve travelling abroad which my parents are not really convinced about, since we would rather build it for people who are in actual in need of it like in Africa or something.

So where are you planning to build the Church?

I have been teaching this unprivileged kids who come to our school every monday evening. The enthusiasm they have is amazing, so I am thoroghly enjoying it.

I had planned to work with cancer kids but then, it didn't work out at that point of time. I am really looking forward to it and most probably will be doing some work soon.

And I really enjoy my badminton trainings, which go in as Action hours.

As far as Creativity is concerned, I will most probably be on the sets of a movie which is going to be shot here, so I am crossing my fingers for that to happen. And I am also dancing here and there, which I will try to get in as Creativity hours.

Most schools in the US have national honor society right? the ib coordinator says that you should not to the service you do for NHS for CAS. So I was wondering, can you actually do both(for all US students) and have NHS hours count for CAS hours? Because NHS requires are community leadership serive and action. so thats 2 out of the 3 in CAS, so i don't see why it shouldn't count for it