What are your CAS activities

Guest cl0ckw0rk0range

spaceisland: It doesn't have to be very "sporty" (at least in my school), for example my sister got CAS for biking to school (8km), but it can also be like taking long walks and stuff.. Aerobic and synchronized swimming definitely count.

I personally don't have any problems with CAS since our supervisor isn't very strict :) . I get ~5 hours of action for Floorball every week, creatitivity for photography and service for refereeing floorball (I also get paid 17€/h for doing it :D )

Your "inner tournament" sounds like a really good idea. A lot of my friends are having trouble getting "activity" points. We don't have that program with our teacher... She actually encourages those kinds of activities. She doesn't handle very many of my CAS hours at all- I get almost all of them from private singing lessons, theatre I act in, choir, debate club and things like Model UN, and other stuff.

Jeje, you are lucky, we also have a Model Un but my teacher does not count it as Cas. Something about recognizing the people who are not IB but still go by not giving us CAS hours. She believes that since ther is people doing it because they want to then we should not have CAS hours, strange, makes CAS sound like a punishment...

Anyway if you are intrested in the inner tournament it is quite easy to organize, you just requiere two or more teams for each sport and some place to play and practice. You could organize a team for each generation and play one against the other. It can be fun!

For Creativity: Wind Ensemble, 2 Jazz Bands, Choir, Vocal and Violin class

Activity: Intramurals at my school, and more (still thinking and any ideas would be great! =D!)

Service: I volunteered at the Run for the Cure held by CIBC for Breast Cancer Research, and I'll be doing more like that, I'm also a Prefect and a member of the Music Council at my school

Creativity: Volunteering in helping with Yearbook class

Action: Badminton!

Service: Attending Key Club meetings and participating in their activities

though in addition to the above, I've helped in some one-time events such as participating in chalk drawing, decorating my class's homecoming hallway, and helping out teachers in Freshman Activity Day haha, though, I'm really behind in my hours; I still have a list of some things which I still need to write and get an approval sheet for, such as Model UN

Guest fierybabe14

For Creativity I dance, Action I play basketball and Service I coach basketball, but i also do other stuff like the 40 hour famine and school sports for 'variety' as our school puts it - our school says you have to do at least 3 different things in each section - does anyone else have to do that as well?

Guest Instinct.sD

Creative: Math Club and competitions :D

Action: Yoga

Service: Tutoring, Charity Club, Amnesty International. (Trying to get hospital approval so I can volunteer there :) )

For my school we have to fill in evaluation forms after EACH session of our activity (so for activities that would occur for the entire school year, we would write x amount of evaluations). I wonder if I can get CAS hours filling these forms for people :)

Edited by Instinct.sD

For the service hours I helped a monk (a friend of my IB coordinator) to build a cold storage chamber... and service+action, I lead a English Working Group in an elemantary school. I also plan to attend the MICC (Model International Criminal Court) in Poland. For my creativity hours, I play piano with the school choir, have piano lessons and band practices...All accepted by the IB coordinator :heart:

Does anyone know if playing in a Rugby Club count as action hours?

^It varies from school to school, but yeah, I'd say Rugby would definitely count for Action.

I'm done with my 150! ...I just haven't done any of those self-evaluation things yet *facepalm*

Creativity: Running Asian Culture Club, French Club, and IB Council

Action: Dragon Boat Racing, a fashion/ethnic costume exhibit at my Chinese school, running annual IB Senior picnic last year

Service: Organized group visits to Children's Hospital, volunteered at library, webmaster for neighborhood, helped with book drive for inner city kids, mentoring pre-IBs

Guest latingring0

Creativity : Student Government, Mock Trials, Class Spirit, Journalism Club, Modeling & Fashion Club.

Action: 24 Hour Fitness Classes, Ballroom Dance Club, Track & Field

Service: Gay Straight Alliance (Tolerance Awareness in Community), Homeless Shelter, Mathematics tutor.

*I am not sure if this is a rule at all schools, but the CAS hours cannot come from a class that constitutes credits. So if one has a drama class, the plays that the student puts on don't count as Creativity hours*

Guest Mr Canada

Creativity --- Practicing with a Clarinet Ensemble and Orchestra, Doing an IB Commercial Movie, Math Tutoring to SL students,

Action ---- Swimming, taking a walk every week.

Service --- Actually performing with the Clarinet Ensemble and Orchestra, IB Commercial movie, Math Tutoring,

:worship:

Not really all planned 150 hours but I am just on my first semester so I think it's a good start.

Y'all are lucky that your school offers so many options for getting your CAS hours. My school does absolutely nothing! We have to do EVERYTHING by ourselves, and mostly outside of school. For Creativity I'm currently working on making a choir for Christmas, since our school doesn't have one (how sad is that? no choir...). For Action I'm doing horsebackriding, which is pretty fun although it make my muscles cramp up. And I'm facing a problem for service hours because there isn't much I can do at my school, so I have to somehow get an agreement to work at an orphanage or hospital or something...I'll probably end up doing that during summer.