What are your CAS activities

Guest cl0ckw0rk0range

I've completed by CAS mostly by being active in animal rights organisation, which counted as C,A and S, because there were lots of different kinds of activities to do. I also went on couple of conferences (animal rights oriented or MUN), did surveys on some problems like global warming or smoking and posted the results of it on our school website, engaged in some school activities, went paintball with friends, and that's basically it, CAS done before the IB1 finished :)  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 22/10/2007 at 5:39 PM, deissi said:

spaceisland: It doesn't have to be very "sporty" (at least in my school), for example my sister got CAS for biking to school (8km), but it can also be like taking long walks and stuff.. Aerobic and synchronized swimming definitely count.

I personally don't have any problems with CAS since our supervisor isn't very strict :) . I get ~5 hours of action for Floorball every week, creatitivity for photography and service for refereeing floorball (I also get paid 17€/h for doing it :D )

I thought you couldn't get paid for service??

5 hours ago, imosz said:

I thought you couldn't get paid for service??

Students typically can't do something they get paid to do, however that depends entirely on your CAS Advisor. For example, I design phone cases and have a small online business with it which my CAS Advisor approved of in a heartbeat :D In the end, the IB isn't responsible for approving activities, your CAS Advisor is. Personally, I feel Service should definitely not allow payment because that defeats the whole purpose of community and service. However for Creativity, I feel like if you get paid for the work you do, it just makes it better because that shows the success of it.

Edited by sodonewithib
  • Like 1

On 1 December 2016 at 0:54 PM, sodonewithib said:

Students typically can't do something they get paid to do, however that depends entirely on your CAS Advisor. For example, I design phone cases and have a small online business with it which my CAS Advisor approved of in a heartbeat :D In the end, the IB isn't responsible for approving activities, your CAS Advisor is. Personally, I feel Service should definitely not allow payment because that defeats the whole purpose of community and service. However for Creativity, I feel like if you get paid for the work you do, it just makes it better because that shows the success of it.

My creativity is a mostly voluntary ( about 75% voluntary and 25% paid) job which includes working with children. I use a LOT of time on it, but even so I was told by my CAS coordinator that I had to donate all the money that I got, even if the job is 75% voluntary and I am doing it as creativity instead of service :crying:

//

As for my activity I am a member of the local tennis club where I play tennis, and for service I am a member of this project that is related to my school. 

Edited by dreamyslife
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've already completed most of my hours, now just to BS through my reflections (already done 1 activity's worth of rubbish yay).  

Creativity is either MUN or a youth orchestra, both of which I've already done (and sum total of hours is over 100, so I'm just going to record 50 of one).  Issue is that the youth orchestra is outside of school, and I can't get a signature anymore, so I may just use MUN.

Action is skiing for 30 hours.  Just need 20 more hours - I'll see if there's some random gym group around I suppose.

Service is at school, which is also 50 hours.  We just do services like teaching children and helping with recycling.

My CAS project involves something known as Extra Life, where I literally play games and raise money through donors who watch.  I'd be surprised if I raised a cent from this tbh, but I suppose the most important thing is to learn something from it.  

• 10 months later...

Creativity - I've got jazz band, a concert band, 2 theatre things, an improv team

Activity - marching band.... I'm not a physical activity-inclined person, if you can tell LOL

Service - everything I do for National Honour Society, volunteering with children's activities at a local library, volunteering with production/setup in my school's auditorium, Link crew

Still trying to figure out where some of my other activities fit within those three (quiz bowl, book club, GSA).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

So for CAS, it's really easy coming up with idea's, but for me, it's kinda hard to keep a record of what we did and reflect upon it online (apparently, we were told that it's supposed to be on an average of 500 words ????). 

Basically, my friends and I formed our own mini foundation to represent our school. We partnered up with many charities and organisations to spread awareness of poverty and etc to our communities. We raised thousands of dollars through school fundraisers, helping out in festivals, nursing homes and more. We did a lot, so now we're taking a break and finishing off with our reflections and hopefully we might get a chance to do more next year. 

• 2 months later...

My school doesn't do CAS hours anymore but my activities consist of the following:

Creativity:

singing & songwriting

writing poetry

makeup for a company 

10 minute plays (writing and directing)

Service

National Honour Society

JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

Volunteering at Cancer Relief Charity Shop

Pass On Hope

Mental Awareness Club (supports MIND charity) 

Service and Leadership Course 

Activity 

Dance

Working out in the gym for dance 

(I DONT DO MUCH ACTIVITY)

The new CAS is based on endurance and reflections! be as creative as possible with your ideas and you can literally include all your hobbies! just find a supervisor

So for my CAS I tend to stay with my activities and not change them up a lot. We have to reflect on them at the end of every month and have strict deadlines for this kind of stuff (our CAS coordinator can be tough to deal with at times)

Creativity: Drums, takes at least 1 hour weekly, although I do sometimes stay up late and spend more time on it

Activity: I used to combine both creativity and activity into drums but my CAS coordinator said that I have to change it, so now I am planning on starting Sports Yoga, which would take 2 hours a week.

Service: I volunteer at Emergency Medical Services, which takes 12 hours weekly.

• 6 months later...

At my school we have to do most of the things ourselves, but they do offer tutoring opportunities for service, and most of the clubs and activities at school count. I'm using my piano and singing lessons for creativity, but I'll probably also do some art stuff too, for activity I'm using tennis and horse-riding (I do horse-riding all year round) and for service I will probably do the tutoring, I'm not sure what else I'll do yet for service

Creativity: school musical, school art classes and youtube channel / blogging

Action: I do cross country and team sports (netball, touch footy) for school. My mum and I also go to our local gym on Saturdays and do yoga and Zumba classes. 

Service: Hospital volunteering, tutoring / subject advice and overseas service immersions 

• 7 months later...

Anything i can get my hands on- basketball, doing designs for school events, I have particularly focused on autism and going for walkathons and visitations to homes for autistic children, fistula awareness campaigns - I love advocacy and creating awareness- er...hikes, runs (with set goals) etcetera. If you have the right goals, almost anything can be CAS.

• 4 months later...

I'm a part of my school's student council so most of the event organised by us counted as CAS under creativity. For service i did beach clean ups and taught underprivileged kids. Activity i mostly faked by pouring water on myself and telling people I exercised.

1 hour ago, MellowDi said:

Does anyone have any tips for online CAS activities? Considering the ongoing pandemic I am not allowed to step out much but would like to fill in my hours as soon as possible through online legit means ( preferably ones that look great on college applications)

Hey! So what I'm doing is joining awareness spreading NGOs or organisations... there are a ton on instagram and for some of them you have to apply and stuff, but because there are so many, there isn't like a super high criteria to get in. So you could do that for service easily. I have joined two myself, one is a youth organisation called "A Will To Live" spreading awareness about mental health and the stigma around it, and "Eklavya" reaching out to underprivileged children and providing them with opportunities they usually don't get because of the finance factor. One's that look good on college applications, I personally held an online MUN, which holds a lot of credit if you're the secretary general and have a lot of experience in the MUN circuit. 

Just now, moonstar said:

Hey! So what I'm doing is joining awareness spreading NGOs or organisations... there are a ton on instagram and for some of them you have to apply and stuff, but because there are so many, there isn't like a super high criteria to get in. So you could do that for service easily. I have joined two myself, one is a youth organisation called "A Will To Live" spreading awareness about mental health and the stigma around it, and "Eklavya" reaching out to underprivileged children and providing them with opportunities they usually don't get because of the finance factor. One's that look good on college applications, I personally held an online MUN, which holds a lot of credit if you're the secretary general and have a lot of experience in the MUN circuit. 

1 hour ago, MellowDi said:

Does anyone have any tips for online CAS activities? Considering the ongoing pandemic I am not allowed to step out much but would like to fill in my hours as soon as possible through online legit means ( preferably ones that look great on college applications)

You could even learn new skills online of course. Which does good in CAS and applications... I did a coursera course in python 3 by University of Michigan.