Chemistry HL... how difficult is it

JAYT

I did almost the same thing as you except I had French B SL, economics HL and bio SL along with English A1 HL, maths SL and chem HL.

Chem HL wasn't really that difficult, but my school didn't offer SL I wouldn't really know how to compare. But it depends on where your strengths lie..I'm very much a memorization person rather than application (hence why I didn't take physics) but even I found chem to be manageable.

Guest thoughts13

hello.

I haven't taken Ib biology but have completed gr11 and gr12 ontario biology,

and am in the first semester of Hl chemistry, and I also have sl physics.

aside from taking HL english, I am also taking HL maths, and Sl french B

So you can see we are kind of the boat here.

I think that I would recommend having biology over physics.

Not that I would recommend hl biology of hl chemistry, only that I can't stand having physics.

Now my opinion is different, and it depends on the teacher, but I think that If you take hl chemistry, you'll find it to be really enjoyable

but having physics may ruin the experience

so to make a long story short,

option 2 chem sl bio hl

hope this helped

I'm taking Bio HL and Chem HL. Honestly, it depends on your teacher. I'm still in IB1 but up till now it has been good, the material isn't very hard but there are some parts where you have to memorize stuff. All you need is practice... So try to do all the exercises the teacher gives you and you'll probably be ok. The workload hasn't been much but it's likely to double in the future especially in IB2.

I actually think chemistry HL is easier than I expected, it does make sense :) But I have a really good and experienced teacher, so that might be one reason. I think that there is a rather big difference between HL and SL, we have to learn a lot of exceptions, SL just learns the rules.

Biology has more memorizing than chemistry, which in turn has more memorizing than physics, so if you prefer memorizing subjects go for biology. When it comes to homework, I spend more time on Swedish A1 HL than I do on chemistry, so it doesn't have to be that much, but again, that depends on the teacher.

Don't apologize for asking questions, that's what forums are for! :)

Yes exactly, as I said before it depends on the teacher. I don't study chem a lot except when there is a test or something. Lab reports can be annoying too with all the uncertainties. On the other hand, there's a lot of stuff to memorize in biology, a lot of my classmates struggle with it but somehow I can read the material a couple of times and everything sticks in my head. I think it's all about logic and how you link stuff with each other.

I'm taking IB BIOLOGY HL AND CHEMISTRY HL.

Chemistry HL is very different from SL. I'm finding it alright, although i am finding some tough things in certain areas. I am finishing IB in 2 months.

If you need Chemistry HL and you put your mind to it, you can certainly do it.

Not insanely hard, not like physics, probably because im not an application person, nor did i take it before.

Anyhow, if you need it and can memorize, go for it. :)

Chemistry HL is the easiest HL in IB taht doesnt mean its easy no it means its the easiest HL, If you took IG chem or any Chem in First two years of High School your set to go, ITs literally the same BUT with added concepts and depth. I think you should try to take Bio and Chem HL since Bio HL is that bad, but if you cant take Bio SL and Chem HL, i enusre you its not as everyone makes it!! STUDY DAILY and that is the key for chemisitry......

As for Biology HL it gets boering sometimes but my teacher is amazing we are ahead of the material since we are generally stong in biology but you shouldnt worry about biology its not bad.

I have been studying for the past 2 days for a thermodynamics test. My head is going to explode.

I take both bio and chem HL, and I can tell you that it really depends on the teacher. You will need to find out about this, because I have an amazing teacher in Bio who teaches with such clarity and everything is smooth. The Chem teacher is sporadic and crazy. She really makes everything difficult. Now, while it is true about HL Bio being a lot about memorization, that is not what the IB test will test you on. Rather, your application of this knowledge. On the other hand, Chemistry HL I find extremely difficult. For example, these last two weeks my class had 4 homework sets to complete. The pressure to preform well really got to me. I had a horrible week because my teacher believes in whirlwinds of work. We aren't even introduced to the topic of, lets say calorimetry, and we get assigned homework sets which prove to be super ridiculous since we haven't even had the intro to that topic. It's a way of teaching. Exposure than understanding. I did score the highest in my class 3 out of the 4 sets, but I literally went through hell.

Chemistry, like Physics, is about being given small amount of variables and then having the ability to expand on this through a series of planned out steps. This of course sounds easy, but is extremely hard when your working in certain framework of mind. One of the questions 98% of the class got wrong, wanted you to convert moles --> grams --> and then use it to find density. Didn't cross my mind, because we are in a thermodynamics chapter. So basically that is all. A build on numbers and properties you must ultimately be able to connect, despite it being extremely difficult in the end. Biology, I don't care how much memory-capacity someone thinks they have, trust me it's not enough. Very few people score high, even with the right tools.

But of course this is all relative to each school and how it runs the program. Either way, we all take the same test.

And also, take Bio HL and Chem SL. There is a major difference in between levels. More material, depth, and also its not just an increase in material. You are expected more. My teacher compared SL and HL exams for the photosynthesis chapter. They really do want more out of you as an HL bio student.

And don't look at paper 1 of chemistry as a reference or determinant of your decision. It's fairly easy. The Paper 2 and 3 tend to be rape for the group 4 subjects.

And yes, the concepts in biology is very boring for the most part. annoying in the end actually.

Do any of you guys find biology boring or can it be interesting?

Or is it the type of subject where the teacher can make it either insanely boring or interesting?

Biology is really cool and interesting. Although the teacher plays an important role in making it either boring or interesting, if you have an interest...you will LOVE it believe me. Especially if you like Human Physiology.

I adore Biology..lol

Alright, Thanks everyone for their posts and advice. I really appreciate it and well I've been convinced and have dropped physics and I'm now in Biology as well as chemistry. I was lucky because we (I'm in Australia) are a month into the school year and i had to ask several coordinators to help change and luckily i found a nice one who had alot of control of the seniors. I'm now in bth chem and Bio and I've got all of year 11 to decide whether to do Chem or Bio HL (possibly both) for my last year.

Well i got a lot of catching up to do which will hopefully only take a week or two.

And Biochem, what are you hoping to get for bio and chem? I'm guessing 7's or 6's. Am i right?

Edited by JAYT

My goal really is more to get a 7 in Chemistry than Bio. just because it proves to be so difficult. It has come to an end, my studying that is for thermo, and I have been going at it non-stop (lunch break 15 min) for about 10 hours. Its a huge chapter test, and the questions will resemble those that synthesize several concepts into one. We all, as a class, struggle to even finish these tests. However, I know that my 7 will come in Bio. I just have the ability to capture it all in the end and outperform others on a test. I dont struggle at all with it, even along the class being difficult.

I am not sure why I am still rambling. I think it's because Dopamine is kicking in for the morning burst due to lack of sleep :)

yes, I want 7's in both. Fighting for it with everything I have :sick:

My school made us do everything higher level for the first year, and then we could drop down to standard level in the ones we wanted to in the second year. I now do SL chemistry, but when I was doing HL, I used to get full marks for my HL work and much lower for my SL. Now that i do SL everything seems really dumbed down, so we... *ahem*... do HL anyway. I'm the only student in my class, so I guess that's allowed? Anyway, I found the theory stuff the easiest as I am incredibly slip-shot at math. Lucky HL people!!!!!

My goal really is more to get a 7 in Chemistry than Bio. just because it proves to be so difficult. It has come to an end, my studying that is for thermo, and I have been going at it non-stop (lunch break 15 min) for about 10 hours. Its a huge chapter test, and the questions will resemble those that synthesize several concepts into one. We all, as a class, struggle to even finish these tests. However, I know that my 7 will come in Bio. I just have the ability to capture it all in the end and outperform others on a test. I dont struggle at all with it, even along the class being difficult.

Thermo? As in equilibrium/energetics/kinetics? Wtf is your teacher teaching? I swear those are the easiest units.... anyway, if you need help, just post in the SB or something.

OP - Chem HL really isn't that difficult. Get the study guide and do past papers! There's a bit of memorizing required too, as with all subjects.

Thermo? As in equilibrium/energetics/kinetics? Wtf is your teacher teaching? I swear those are the easiest units.... anyway, if you need help, just post in the SB or something.

OP - Chem HL really isn't that difficult. Get the study guide and do past papers! There's a bit of memorizing required too, as with all subjects.

she went to a prestigious private college for her chemical engineering degree. she uses..get this..her college notes for the chapter :P

conceptually it is easy, and of course now that I have studied it - the topic proves to be easy. Just like you, looking back on it now I see the whole picture. Variables --> missing --> plan --> calculate --> units. However, for someone just entering the study like a new student, the topic will initially prove difficult.

and Honestly, it isnt Irene's comment, but I generally find myself vexed by these topics sometimes. you always have someone come in and say the total opposite lol. But then again, I have been that person several times :P I will say this - that chemistry has one of the highest probabilities of doing something worng than even mathematics. Just because units are so germane.

And Irene that is a great plan and generalized approach. But, if it was that easy then everyone would score high and wouldn't suffer from poor teaching.