Would learning to play an instrument count as creativity hours?

Yes, learning an instrument counts as creativity. Check if your school has a limit to how many CAS hours you can get from one activity. Our coordinator changed it so that we can get a maximum of 20 from any activity. Meaning we have to do at least 3 different activities.

• 3 weeks later...

At my school, playing on your own, even with the supervision and assistance of an instructor, does not count as CAS. To get creative hours from playing an instrument you must play in a band (only my school again) and that may only be because of the abundance of school and student-run bands.

Check with your IB Coordinator because as I've seen on this forum, almost every school is different about their approach to the guidelines of CAS.

Edited by Rizzelet

Learning a new instrument is totally ok for CAS! Its actually really encouraged, your learning a new skill and trying something new. Just as long as your not doing it in a subject like music or something, also try not to have yourself as the Supervisor or your parents (that's what we get told), maybe get a proper instructor? Other than that its perfectly alright. ^_^

Edited by Blueskynin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It totally can be counted as creative, I have many hours from playing in a band for creative myself.

But I play in the schoolband as well.. but I cannot count CAS hours for it, only creative if we compose something ourselves for a production or something.. but the actual practise hours don't count XD

• 3 weeks later...