McGill Arts & Science Program

Rawrn3ss

I was wondering how good this program is?

Is it just better to take straight on Science at McGill?

I'm also considering taking a double Major or a Major&Minor at UBC for Science and Arts.

What's your imput?

I've already been accepted into Science at McGill and Arts & Sci at McGill.

The only problem I have with that is snows too much in Montreal... D:

I'm not sure about the ArtSci programme but considering that McGill, as a whole, is a pretty good school - I'd guess that it probably is. I've also heard that McMaster is really well-known for its ArtSci programme; I think the entrance average is somewhere around 88?

Anyhow, I just wanted to say that the quality amidst Canadian universities doesn't vary much. The decent universities are all publicly fundeded and are all pretty much on-par with each other. If you want to pursue grad school, I'd say that you are better off attending one of the "easier" universities because it's a known fact that certain Canadian universities are a lot harder in terms of the marks than others (ahem - UofT). :rofl: Just my two cents.

Hi loser! Ahhh, everyone's getting accepted to McGill... you make me jealous, I should have applied. :rofl: Montreal is beautiful though, even if it snows - and you'll be able to practice your French!

Med school after undergrad like everyone else, or what?

Edit: And slap say hi to people for me, will ya?

Edited by Irene

Wow Irene... Almost 600 posts...

I am quite astounded...

It snows way too much in McGill though...

Like way more than necessary.

Joy's excuse for not going to McGill is the big hill... :rofl:!!!

I'm still iffy on Med School... Because that's 12 years of my life...

And IB has taken 2 years of my life... <.<

So that's why I want Science & Arts...

And I want to go to Europe...

So I figured McGill would be slightly better...

That's a lot of "..."s

.___.

I don't really have anything useful to add since I didn't apply to McGill myself but someone mentioned McMaster so I just had to post :) .

Representing McMaster here hehe! Even though I'm not in the artsci program, but yes you need high 80-low 90 average to get into Mac artsci so it's quite competitive as well.

McGill is a very good school on the whole though, I have friends there for engineering and another in the science program.

first off, congrats on getting in to McGill! I'm dying to go there, but won't hear back from them for another month or so cause I applied from the U.S. =(

Also, the Arts and Sciences at McGill is really well known. What's great is that you have a huge variety of classes you can take to fulfill your requirements, so you'll for sure be taking classes you're interested in. The city is great, especially because it's all centralized around the university. McGill is also known around the world as one of the best, so that alone will open a lot of doors for you when you apply to grad school (my sister is applying now, and she, along with everyone else, tells me that grad schools DO consider the undergrad school you apply from).

As for the snow, it's really not that big of a deal. I lived in Canada for a while, and even when I visit from California (that doesn't understand the meaning of cold), it's easy to adjust to. Just buy a proper winter coat, some gloves, and DEFINITELY a scarf.

As for the snow, it's really not that big of a deal. I lived in Canada for a while, and even when I visit from California (that doesn't understand the meaning of cold), it's easy to adjust to. Just buy a proper winter coat, some gloves, and DEFINITELY a scarf.

We live in Canada, haha. Anyway, the weather lately has been kind of crap. Consecutive -20 to -30C with windchill. I'm not sure about you but this type of weather is not my thing. Occasionally, I'm fine with it but prolonged periods of cold, no thanks.

Rawrn3ss, did you apply to Queen's too? You can go live in that big castle in England or something. Tell me where everyone else is going!! I want to know so I can stalk them!!

We live in Canada, haha. Anyway, the weather lately has been kind of crap. Consecutive -20 to -30C with windchill. I'm not sure about you but this type of weather is not my thing. Occasionally, I'm fine with it but prolonged periods of cold, no thanks.

Rawrn3ss, did you apply to Queen's too? You can go live in that big castle in England or something. Tell me where everyone else is going!! I want to know so I can stalk them!!

Yeah! So I've heard.

But the big castle is mostly for art students

Comme les beaux arts, which I have no interest in pursuing D;

I want to go to University of Bristol, but it's in the UK

And apparently, the UK is going to be hit way worse than Canada will be from the economic repression (or so our British English teacher says)

Um puh-lease.

Exaggeration much?

More like -10 to -15C with windchill 8)

I don't think it ever got to -30C with windchill this winter.

I'm actually getting used to the cold more.

Super excited for Friday though! 10C+! :)

And thanks mj526

I lived in Montreal for 6 weeks for an exchange

And the city is so quaint and nice!

You get that authentic, old feel, but there's still the comfort of knowing it's the 21st century (:

Except driving is a b***ch. The lights take forever to turn

And everyone smokes. If you don't like it, then you're going to have to get used to it ):

Where do you live in Canada?

It actually has been -20 to -30 C with windchill, according to the The Weather Network where they give you the actual temperature and then the "feels like" temperature to factor in windchill. I live 20-30 minutes north of Toronto but when I'm away at uni, I'm in Hamilton. I've realized that Hamilton is slightly colder than home, even though it should be warmer since we're right by the lake hmmm.

Where do you live in Canada?

It actually has been -20 to -30 C with windchill, according to the The Weather Network where they give you the actual temperature and then the "feels like" temperature to factor in windchill. I live 20-30 minutes north of Toronto but when I'm away at uni, I'm in Hamilton. I've realized that Hamilton is slightly colder than home, even though it should be warmer since we're right by the lake hmmm.

She's in Burlington. Ugh, I miss that city so much. :D By the lake? Spencer Smith Park gives such a nice view of the water.

Maybe! (:

Did you get into the same program?

Pfft. Miss Burlington?

I can't wait to get out

And I've only been here for 4 years ;[

Ughhhh you're such a loser. Burlington was the best city I've lived in!!

Have you decided between McGill and UBC yet? Maybe check out the courses for first year, second year, etc and what req's you have to fill in later years.

Well, compared to the schools my friends are at (UBC and SFU), I'd say the courses at McGill seem to be a little more challennging. For example, according to my friends, the first few chemistry lectures at UBC and SFU were about stoichiometry, whereas my chemistry course at McGill integrated stoichiometric concepts basically in the first 2 labs and was never touched upon specifically in the lectures. It was almost as if they assumed that we were comfortable with the topic of stoichiometry and knew how to apply it already.

The grading for labs and essays depends largely on your TAs. If you get really laid-back TAs, it's not uncommon to see 90+ percents, but if you happen to get stuck with a nit-picky TA, you can sometimes expect nothing above 80 percent. The exams also depend on your prof. Some professors give really tricky exams whereas others just test your basic knowledge and test to see if you are able to apply that basic knowledge. I must say, though, that most professors teaching first-year courses are pretty laid back.

Overall, the courses (well, at least the science courses) at McGill are totally manageable, esepcially if you took IB in highschool. Sure it may be a little harder than some schools, but if you study enough, there's no reason why you can't pull off a 90+. In the end, the difference in difficulty really doesn't make much a difference at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm quick question. A friend of mine was waitlisted and confirmed his name on the waiting list. Anyone have an idea when they'll get back to him? If he doesn't get in he'll go to another uni that's already accepted him, but he wants to know how long he'll have to wait before they give him an answer (he hopes it'll be before the deadline for replying to the other uni passes). I, on the other hand, still have a big fat DECISION PENDING on my application status page -.- Why's it taking so long ahhh

Edited by cokesandcokes

It took me quite some time to get a response too becuase they kept saying they were missing parts of my application so I bascially had to send in my documents like 4 times to make sure they'd get it. You should ask the admissions office for details regarding your application.

Regarding your friend, I don't know anything about their waitlists, sorry.

Edited by cixelsyD

Hmmm quick question. A friend of mine was waitlisted and confirmed his name on the waiting list. Anyone have an idea when they'll get back to him? If he doesn't get in he'll go to another uni that's already accepted him, but he wants to know how long he'll have to wait before they give him an answer (he hopes it'll be before the deadline for replying to the other uni passes). I, on the other hand, still have a big fat DECISION PENDING on my application status page -.- Why's it taking so long ahhh

Oh my gosh i have that decision pending on mine too! It DOES look way bigger than everything else, even though it's the same font, doesn't it? I'm super nervous about it. The only Canadian school I've heard from is Waterloo (which I got in), but McGill is torturing us apparently...