Commonly Misspelled Words

avident

It bothers me when I'm talking to friends, informally on msn, when they intentionally mispell words such as 'cool' like 'kool'. I know people put little effort into their spelling when texting or talking online...but really, I see no need to switch letters around like that.

It bothers me when I'm talking to friends, informally on msn, when they intentionally mispell words such as 'cool' like 'kool'. I know people put little effort into their spelling when texting or talking online...but really, I see no need to switch letters around like that.

UGH, YES, THIS. It thoroughly pissed me off when I'm talking to someone and tHay tIpe lyK diS cuz itz kool eZzZZ

I mean, you're literate in real life. Why do you insist on making me decipher your messages online... especially when YOU are asking ME for help? :D

avident, that is exactly what I said. I may have confused you because I didn't say you where wrong; nor did I mean to. I simply stated the difference in word class between the two, and my meaning was to point out that the way you described it above wasn't ... well, the whole truth. But that longer explanation is excellent.

Sorry for the confusion!

Edited by Hyperbole

I tend to spell occur wrongly, never remember if it's two "C" or two "R" or both.

I also wonder, can I write "an other"? Such as "An other thing that annoyed her..." or what's the correct way? "One more thing that annoyed her..."?

I also wonder, can I write "an other"? Such as "An other thing that annoyed her..." or what's the correct way? "One more thing that annoyed her..."?

No, it's 'another'. You either say "One other thing that annoyed her" or "Another thing that annoyed her".

No, it's 'another'. You either say "One other thing that annoyed her" or "Another thing that annoyed her".

Seems like I should have figured that out myself :P I've wondered that for ages, but for some reason I've never asked someone.

Oh man, like Irene and meh, this really annoys me too. People are perfectly capable of writing and speaking and yet they do this. And I don't see how using chatspeak is easier than employing proper spelling and grammar. It takes me more effort to talk lyk diz in comparison to talking normally online.

UGH, YES, THIS. It thoroughly pissed me off when I'm talking to someone and tHay tIpe lyK diS cuz itz kool eZzZZ

I mean, you're literate in real life. Why do you insist on making me decipher your messages online... especially when YOU are asking ME for help? :D

Daily occurance (and I think that's with an a :) ) around here.

"Thru". mad.gif I can't begin to stay how annoying this is. Just. Argh. It comes to a point where some people think this is the proper spelling.

Daily occurance (and I think that's with an a :D ) around here.

"Thru". mad.gif I can't begin to stay how annoying this is. Just. Argh. It comes to a point where some people think this is the proper spelling.

Well, it is a word... kinda. McDonald's stupid sign says "Drive-Thru"... I remember coz I used to work there. Had to see that ugly sign every day :( (until I quit :) )

It bothers me even more when people use this type of language in a professional situation. For example, a grade 9 pre-IB sent an e-mail to our school's tutoring program (which I am in charge of) in exclusively chat speak. Not only that, it was almost incomprehensible.

Also, one other thing that bugs me is when people talk about "lyfe". Seriously, what? Since when did using a y instead of an i suddenly become cool?

Nicole should have no place in this conversation :(

It bothers me even more when people use this type of language in a professional situation. For example, a grade 9 pre-IB sent an e-mail to our school's tutoring program (which I am in charge of) in exclusively chat speak. Not only that, it was almost incomprehensible.

Don't answer until they send an email that spells properly.

This has become a rant about text speak :(

"Thru". :P I can't begin to stay how annoying this is. Just. Argh. It comes to a point where some people think this is the proper spelling.

Our physics teacher writes that constantly. Me and a couple of other physics students ended up in a big debate whether that was acceptable or not. Some said it was the American way, other that it just was wrong. We finally decided that one guy would write "thru" in a English A2 essay, just to see how the teacher (she's American) would react. :)

• 1 month later...
SAME HERE.

ugh.

its soooooo annoying! and my name is the easiest thing ever: Emilie

okay if you spell it Emily, thats understandable....but PLEASE when people come up with things like Emellie or Emmaly its gets frustrating.

Its one of the easiest names out there!!!

hahah! i have the same problem. my name is Alix, not Alex. I understand that people would spell it with an e but it annoys me when i tell people how to spell my name and i correct them every time and they still spell my name Alex. Ergh, i always have to say, "my name is Alix. With an I, not an E"

Oh and i hate it when people incorrectly use you're/your. "As in, your the one for me." "You're cat." why is it so hard to use you're and your correctly?!

Guest Philippe Arni
hahah! i have the same problem. my name is Alix, not Alex. I understand that people would spell it with an e but it annoys me when i tell people how to spell my name and i correct them every time and they still spell my name Alex. Ergh, i always have to say, "my name is Alix. With an I, not an E"

Oh and i hate it when people incorrectly use you're/your. "As in, your the one for me." "You're cat." why is it so hard to use you're and your correctly?!

lol for me its even worst... ppl spell my name as philip or phillip!!! I hate it especially with 2 l's...

I praise those who knw hw to spell my name at first (they cannot be french btw) <_<