Commonly Misspelled Words

avident

UGH, YES, THIS. It thoroughly pissed me off when I'm talking to someone and tHay tIpe lyK diS cuz itz kool eZzZZ

I mean, you're literate in real life. Why do you insist on making me decipher your messages online... especially when YOU are asking ME for help? <_<

I understand your frustration.

However, what also annoys me is when people in high school do not know the difference between: their and there, you're and your, etc..

However, what also annoys me is when people in high school do not know the difference between: their and there, you're and your, etc..

Seriously, they don't? :blink:

It makes me feel good about my English skills, which doesn't happen very often.

I think that pronouncing is usually harder than spelling. It has happened many times that I've thought I know how a particular word is pronounced and then some native speaker pronounces it in a completely different way, which leaves me all confused and wondering how I could get it so wrong. :mike:

It also happens that I want to say a word and when I start saying it, I realize that I haven't got a clue how to pronounce it and which syllable to stress so I get silent in the middle of a sentence which leaves the people around me confused.

Eg. intuitive, consequently...

Edited by Tilia

• 3 weeks later...

This isn't a misspelling. It's more of usage. Have you ever read something online/peer-edited a paper and come across a word used incorrectly? If the person doesn't know what a word means, why is he/she using it?? There's a difference between going to a thesaurus to look for a synonym because you've used a word too many times and going to the thesaurus to look up a bigger, more "sophisticated" word, especially since a lot of synonyms have different connotations.

Also among vs. between. When you're comparing two things, use "between." When it's more than two things, use "among." It makes no sense to say "I'm deciding between soccer, tennis, and badminton."

Alsoo, badminton is the sport. not badmington.

Alsoooooo, there's a difference between "sense" and "since"

The first is a feeling or meaning and the second implies a cause/effect relationship. "Since we were at the movies last night, we didn't get Lucy's invitation."

</high horse>

Edited by sweetnsimple786

• 5 weeks later...

I can't take this new fad where the phrase ''All right'' is shortened into the form ''Alright''. I guess it's accepted in spoken language, but I've noticed many have started to use it in proper writing, as well. Saw it on MTV the other day, sigh.

I think that this is complete acceptable because the mean of this word has become some far removed from the original meaning, "is everything okay", now it means things like "let's go", "fine", and "cool", so as it has new lexemes although polysemic they may be it would seem logical that when the meaning of a phrase changes into some that is a stand alone lexical item that it would become a single word.

This is definitely the pendant's thread.

Well, it's not a word, but a misused phrase that is so shockingly prevalent it drives me up the wall. "I could care less". Grrrr..... people just need to read what they write. The tiniest amount of analytic capabilities would allow them to realise they've given their sentence the opposite meaning of what they intended.

Well, it's not a word, but a misused phrase that is so shockingly prevalent it drives me up the wall. "I could care less". Grrrr..... people just need to read what they write. The tiniest amount of analytic capabilities would allow them to realise they've given their sentence the opposite meaning of what they intended.

I have only ever heard people say "I couldn't care less." Which makes sense.

In Kenya, a lot of people started sentences with "Me, I....". Me, I wnat to go dance. Me, I want to eat. And also "my leg in paining" instead of "my leg hurts".

And here, common phrases include "Open your phone/Open the light" instead of "Turn it on", "My best movie is Batman" instead of "My favourite movie is..." and "I need to make a party/make a project" instead of "do" or "have". I also know someone who, despite having spent a year in the States in 10th grade, still asks "Where everyone is going?" and (my pet peeve) "Oh, you have Economic now" instead of "Economics". I automatically correct people's grammar when they speak in any language, and sometimes it irritates them. But when it gets to the point where you can't understand them, or if they keep making the same mistake over and over again, you have to do something. Otherwise I'm just gonna burst out laughing in their face, and that's worse.

Edited by Vvi

I don't mind so much how they pronounce it, it's just that nobody seems to be able to write it, and it's quite common xP 'Wallah' just looks stupid, IMO. I don't get why people don't realise it appears to mean nothing .:. might be a word we nicked from another language! Also it's written down a lot, so I have to presume nobody links the two together. All in all, very annoying XD

• 1 month later...