Commonly Misspelled Words

avident

• 2 weeks later...

Embarrassing.

I always forget the second r, which is ironic since it's pretty embarrassing when it happens.

I also hate it when I re-read something I write and find spelling or grammatical errors. And when somebody writes me on Facebook, for example, with a spelling error and I write back, specifically integrating the word correctly spelled and they still don't spell it right.

For example,

A: We should definatly get together.

B: Yes we definitely should.

A: ...Either way we're definatly going to see a movie.

I realize that that makes me seem like kind of a spazz but at least I don't respond with just "Definitely" like I am tempted to. :)

This amused me.

Are misspelt CVs really carear siucide?

Ariane Sherine

guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 12 May 2009 12.30 BST

A study of CV blunders found a 'pubic relations' officer and a 'prooficient' typist. Are linguistic pedants fighting a losing battle?

Years ago, I was asked to sort through a pile of CVs from copywriters, and the first CV I picked up had the subheading "Copwriter". Unless the applicant wrote scripts for The Bill, this is the equivalent of applying for a job as an equality officer and listing "watching Bernard Manning videos" under "Interests".

But last week, it turned out that the copwriter wasn't alone. He was joined, the Telegraph reported, by a "pubic relations" officer, a "prooficient" typist and an applicant who had "excellent poof-reading skills" – all typos apparently discovered by a career advice company in a study of 450 CVs. There were also sentences desperate for commas ("my interests include cooking dogs and interesting people"), statements with worrying implications ("while working in this role, I had intercourse with a variety of people") and unintended admissions ("I was responsible for dissatisfied customers"). Only 19% of the CVs were completely free from typographical and grammatical errors.

This means that, unless these 450 CVs were commissioned from blindfolded orangutans with sticky keyboards, 81% of the population are being unforgivably cavalier with the English language. If I were in charge, the applicants might as well have scrawled on the envelope "SWINE FLU INSIDE!" for all the chance they'd have of being shortlisted.

However, as over 19% of the population have jobs, there's clearly a school of thought that takes the view: "Unless they're applying for jobs that require writing skills, who cares?" Which is much like saying: "If you're applying for a job where you'll be working from home, why not turn up to the interview with a pint of sick all over your leotard?"

Yes, dyslexia exists, but so do spellcheckers, dictionaries and other people's eyes, including those at the careers service this study was designed to plug (PCM, incidentally, which may or may not stand for Pedantic Correction-Mongers). And, in the examples given, the errors were due not to dyslexia but sheer laziness, meaning the CV owners deserve to eat out of bins until they realise their mistakes.

And yet, by being a draconian linguistic obsessive, I'm aware that I cause myself more grief than the grammar-defilers will ever receive. By the time I file this piece, I'll have checked it through approximately 879 times (300 more times than usual, given the topic), while other writers are frolicking in the sunlight or cashing cheques generated by their extra productivity. "That's what subeditors are for!" they chorus joyously, as I grimly re-read articles until the words no longer make sense.

Laissez-faire CV writers will be hired by bosses who are equally unbothered about slapdash literacy. They will never be tempted to quit a job after being asked to insert an apostrophe into "1980s", nor will they have to contend with word-based pedantry ruining other vital areas of their lives. Unlike them, I have (undoubtedly unwisely) declined the advances of potential romantic prospects who sullied my inbox with emails addressed to "Arianne", asked if I liked "nightclub's" and professed to be a "fellow athiest".

This is because my (frankly alarming) thinking often goes "I intend to spend my retirement playing competitive games of Scrabble, and it would be easier to be able to do this with my spouse rather than bother other octogenarians at the old people's home. This should therefore surely be my main requirement in a prospective mate." I have, in the past, genuinely rebuffed the advances of heroic men who couldn't spell in favour of evil men who could.

And so I remain single and pointlessly literate, when I could be exquisitely content with the person who, right now, is posting his CV claiming to be "inteligent and dilegent". I should resign myself to caring less about definatelys and seperatelys, given that we live in a mediocre world where Tony Blair became prime minister while unable to spell the word "tomorrow", and Dan Quayle became vice-president of the United States while unable to spell his own name (probably). As the 81% show, we linguistic pedants are fighting a losing battle; if we can't beat them, maybe we should join them in their indifference. Becuase theirs nothing wrong in being accomodating.

• Like 2

Brilliant article, Ruan Chun Xian.

Here's another word to the list: bureaucracy. Also, I'm seeing a rising trend of misspelled basic words such as ''awfull''. Ghastly.

Don't you just admire the Americans with their spelling bees? Spelling should be an IB subject, seriously. I'd love it in Group 5. Imagine, no math - just spelling. And then all the IAs could be spelling bees! Such bliss.

This amused me.

Ariane Sherine

very interesting article Hien. Made me proof read my CV :) though I think she's a tad too nutty about the whole thing. I mean chosing a partner depending on spelling? someone needs to sort her priorities straight!

please take any of the written words I misspelled to be my contribution to this thread :D I'm sure I have some!

This amused me.

Ariane Sherine

very interesting article Hien. Made me proof read my CV :) though I think she's a tad too nutty about the whole thing. I mean chosing a partner depending on spelling? someone needs to sort her priorities straight!

please take any of the written words I misspelled to be my contribution to this thread :) I'm sure I have some!

I actually might just do that XD You don't want one thing bugging you for the rest of your life!

• 2 weeks later...