Commonly Misspelled Words

avident

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

color and colour

Are you saying that 'color' is right, because this is one where it depends where you are from. Every English speaking country bar America(maybe Canada too) spells it: colour.

In Canada, it's supposed to be spelled as 'colour', but quite a few people here spell it as 'color'. I guess having the US next door is the reason why! :P

Accommodation is another one of those words no one seems to get right! As college awaits, I've already stumbled across variations such as accomodation and acomodation...

Roommate is a bad one too. It's amazing how many native speakers spell it with only one m: roomate. WRONG.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Red XII

I have an editor's eye, which is a curse for reading. I can't stand any grammatical or spelling errors. [Note: I will likely make one in this post now that I've said that, for it is a law that when one posts to point out and/or complain about grammatical or spelling errors, one will make an error either in said post or shortly thereafter.]

If I had to pick the error I hate most, though, I think I'd go with "could of," "should of," "must of," and other similar improper transcriptions of contractions. It's "could have" or "could've," not "could of." Seriously, it's not that hard!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Yeah, I'm not usually one prone to bursts of nationalism, but for some reason seeing fellow classmates, other adults, or even teachers writing "color" or "favorite" really, really pisses me off. I remember the low point of my week a month back was when I was fiddling around on McGill's website and saw they had "favorite" somewhere.

Other matters like that include enquiry/inquiry, but I am also more or less a stickler for proper apostrophe use, thanks to my Grade 7 teacher; I still remember her spending 20 minutes telling our class about how she refused to eat at a restaurant because they had written "Chefs Special" on their menu.

Well, apart from all the ones people have already listed (definitely vs definately, etc) I tend to get pretty irritated over tattoo vs tatoo.

And, though I am perfectly capable of spelling "think", when I write it on a computer it always comes out "tihnk". Drives me crazy.

• 3 weeks later...