IB Girls and Guys

bolan14

I don't know how IB is internationally, that is how IBers behave overseas or in other places. I go to an IB school in Miami, Florida, and I'm sure much like everywhere else in the world there are crazy party go-ers and dumb girls who fall for the indecent guys. It's like you respect someone for their intelligence, getting high marks w.e, but then you find out what he/she does whether it is smoke or drink on the weekends. Is it just me or is there any decent people left on this earth. Morality and ethics walk straight out the door, and a vacuum is made for cheating, frivilous partying, gratuitous sex, recreational drug and alchohol use.

Not to be a prick because I am probably a hypocrit because I may be part of some of these things. But it just seems it became so hard to find decent people, a girl who will save herself for someone who is worth it, and a guy who will understand the meaning of sex as not something completely recreational. I shouldn't be one to talk because ive fallen victim to alot of the things im condemning, but I guess i just hope the general population that will be the leaders of tomorrow will be smarter than me. Any way post your thought or frustrations, send me to hell if you feel the need to tell me that it is a persons right to do what they please, or buttress my opinion.

I personally think that decency in todays kids have left but somehow we can find a medium where we can party and then reach 7's on IB exams.

• Like 2

This can apply to the generation as a whole, not just IBers.

For the record though, my boyfriend and I are IB graduates and we are waiting for marriage and all that. We don't smoke, drink, do drugs, aren't hardcore partiers, obviously don't have one night stands, etc. But we have IB friends who do participate in those activities, it's gotten worse since we're all now freshmen in university.

All hope is not lost haha, there ARE people out there who value academics over fun while they're still in school, including myself, my boyfriend, and my best friends. We have fun and party, but safely, and we wouldn't party the night before an exam or anything.

• Like 2

Here in western Canada I've always been pretty unimpressed by the behaviour of my peers. I went to a normal jr high in a 'richer' community and was in their honours program, and it was sad for me to look at the kids in the non-honours classes and know that half of them are on drugs. have tried drugs, or abuse the priveleges (money) they get from having rich parents. There were less honours kids who were like this, but most others were simply immature and were mostly concerned with catching the attention of the opposite sex (what can you say about tweens though :D ). I thought in high school being in the IB program I'd meet more like-minded individuals who weren't in this phase but I've been disappointed so far. While the IB kids are able to get decent marks and Do seem to act considerably more mature than the general population of teenagers at my school, I kind of expect more out of them as they tend to get preoccupied with all the high school drama and parties etc. I wish people would consider the future more and act more responsibly.

• Like 1

You've got a pretty strange conception of "morality and ethics", my friend. What exactly is wrong with drinking recreationally, partying, smoking, being flirtatious etc? Sure, a lot of those things I'd encourage people not to do so much for their own sake and health, but so long as they're not really doing anything recklessly dangerous (drink driving, all that), what's the problem?

The immorality of people who have sex before marriage? Gimme a break, get off your pedestal. When you label all these actions (sure, some of them perhaps somewhat questionable) as "immoral", you, in my mind at least, trivialize and normalize the actual, really bad behaviour that goes on. And that is not a good thing.

• Like 2

You've got a pretty strange conception of "morality and ethics", my friend. What exactly is wrong with drinking recreationally, partying, smoking, being flirtatious etc? Sure, a lot of those things I'd encourage people not to do so much for their own sake and health, but so long as they're not really doing anything recklessly dangerous (drink driving, all that), what's the problem?

The immorality of people who have sex before marriage? Gimme a break, get off your pedestal. When you label all these actions (sure, some of them perhaps somewhat questionable) as "immoral", you, in my mind at least, trivialize and normalize the actual, really bad behaviour that goes on. And that is not a good thing.

Thanks for speaking your mind. I guess its because I tend to be really conservative, but I've succumb to sex before marraige, and I've gone drinking and partying. It just wasn't my scene, well the sex could continue, and I only say that because I am monogomous with one girl who I plan to be with for a long time.

I don't have to explain the fact that ethics and morality are relative to everyone, and since I have my preconcieved notions one how people should act, then I do sort of look down on others who aren't as "decent." So in this case, yes, I am on my own high horse, and I believe you can do whatever you want. However, I do ask that for those who wish to be the party animals, f*** buddies, or whatever, that you be considerate of whoever it is your affecting. I've made that mistake and I still regret it.

And Panserbone, I also have to mention, the United States regardless of being the home of the "free", we as a population are still generally conservative. That may be tapering of with the younger generation but conservatism is still prevelent.

I am a freudian, and I believe kids go through some psychosexual stages, and we need to explore them, however in good boundaries. I guess that as for me, I still want a virgin as my partner, as crazy and unrealistic as it sounds, and irrational.

• 2 weeks later...

Genuinely confused by the point you're trying to make here, are you saying that we should either strive to get 7's and lead no social life, or sleep around and fail our exams? also, why are you warning everyone against things which are fairly obvious to the average intelligent person, it would appear you are among the minority of people who are doing "IB" and yet "taking recreational drugs and partaking in frivelous sexual activities".

Why warn people of things which are blindingly obvious if they're not completely backwards?

Trust - who do ya?

Trust - what makes U a real lover?

Trust - I put this question to ya

Cuz I want U 2 be with me

Money - how much'll make U happy?

U can have it all if it'll suit U right

But nothin', I said nothin' can take the place

Of U and me kickin' it tight, tight!

Come, it's easy

Just let yourself go - don't put up a fight

Sex - it's not that type of party

Girl, we're gettin' higher 2 night

I have friends who will be getting into John-Hopkins, and they smoke drugs regularly or every so often. I have to say that, its their way of release, and I dont condemn or condone of it. there is just a mutual agreement that I wont take part in it all.

I think at any number universities you will find the top kids doing some crazy stuff. and thats something you will have to get used to. Its actually really wonderful to be in a position to reject these things without saying a word, yet I command a lot of respect from my friends. I dont think I could ever be pressured into doing somethnig I dont want.

In a way, I see you are casting a shadow on the whole concept. As long as you are doing what truly makes you happy, then that's the most important thing. I dont do any of that stuff because that's not where I get my happiness from. I'd much rather have another drug, caffeine.

It's all part of life and how humans are, in my opinion. I haven't done anything, because I just don't believe that drinking and smoking will make me cooler, but I know a lot of people who do. However, I think that the IB people in my school party less than the others, but it's mostly due to the lack of time...

I think it's good that you don't just sit with you books, but try to keep a social life. Smoking and drinking aren't that good for you, but it's own your choice, you don't have to drink just because your friends do.

When it comes to sex, as long as it's not violent and people consent to it, you can do it in what way you like. I also think your conception of ethics is strange, but I like that you admit that your wish for marrying a virgin is completely irrational and weird. No offence.

I don't do any of these things myself but i don't condemn it in others. I mean, there's probably one case in which i did get pissed off at an under-age drinker and that was only because of the way he went about it. People's lives are their own and if i expect you to keep your nose out of me and my opinions, i better , at the leats, offer my own courtesies to others. I think the only case in which I would interfere with someone else's choice is suicide- I lost a friend to it and i'm a bit skewed there. I know it's slightly hypocritical, but that is the only case.

• Like 1

my reply is pretty self focused- like my whole general attitude, but here's the run down.

I'm graduating IB this year- I'm and only child who is majorly egotistical, and selfish. But if a friend needs me, I'll be there, sex- absolute no for me unless i'm really confident i've found the real guy (and you're speaking about someone permanently condemned as a sceptic in TOK).

I believe in justice, feminism and reason.

I hate racism (with just cause, though i acknowledge there are better), superstition and torture

I love freedom and free will.

But i'm lazy and i procrastinate alot.

C'mon it's ok- nobody is perfect.

just live life and quit worrying!

People perform better with sex :D . That's a fact, it makes people, confident and helps lessen stress as well it helps people focus more now that they don't have that *cough* need/urge at the back of their head anymore. We can go on all day about the benefits of it, but I don't really have the time to keep writing.

As for drugs... Well they have benefits as well... Example: TOK Essa's... That's about it.

I study my ass off and I don't party very often but I did have a good balance with social life between my boyfriend and best friends. I may not have seen them ALL the time because we're all busy people but that's what makes us click. I went a week without seeing my boyfriend because we both buried ourselves into our books haha.

However, now that summer is here, I will and have gotten drunk off my ass many times.

But I deserve to have a good time because I worked so hard for this moment of relaxation.

That's my take on partying and school... just balance it well. There's a time to study and a time to party, don't mix them.

As for premarital sex... whatever right? As it was mentioned, so long as it isn't violent or rape, there seriously isn't anything wrong with it. I'll do with my body what I wish.

let me give you a very simple answer:

guys are all pigs and from age 16-24, all they have in your tiny little brain is sex.

i know that is very general but also very true for most guys. but from my experience, IB guys tend to not follow this pattern. they're usually...too nerdy to be a ****head.

• Like 1

guys are all pigs and from age 16-24, all they have in your tiny little brain is sex.

i know that is very general but also very true for most guys. but from my experience, IB guys tend to not follow this pattern. they're usually...too nerdy to be a ****head.

Oh hurray for pointless, insulting, ridiculous, sweeping, disingenuous generalisations! I don't know if you're a troll trying to stoke up a reaction or what. But you're not going to get far in life if that's how you think, and how you argue.

Some of us 'men' have more substance than that. In fact, if all 'guys' are of the same nature that you describe, it goes to show the company that you to choose to be around. The fact that you think like that shows your own narrow minded brain.