How does teacher calculate IB predicted grade ? then IB final grade is useless?

nakoalla

I heard that IB final grade is useless. The IB predicted grade is more essential.

Is it right that IB predicted grade is based on term 2,4, 6 of the IB years??? ONLY TERM 2,4 AND 6?

If i got great grade in term 3 , but it would not be sent to university? (its so unfair..)

Edited by nakoalla

The predicted grade varies from school to school. And so does the method to make a predicted grade between the teachers. In our school for instance, the grades are based on the internal assessments we have given in and the tests and quizes we have written in the class (and believe me, there are a lot of them).

What are the terms anyways? Six terms? I don't get that...

well..technically, doesn't it depend on when you're sitting for the IBs?

cos, in my case, I think I have to send the predicted grades if anything.. because i sit for the IB in november and get the results after the applications have been sent..

The term 2,4,6 is not true at all. Your predicted grades are important for university acceptances, but so are your final grades.

For Canadian universities, I can apply with either my predicted grades or my non-IB grades. If I apply with my non-IB grades, then the predicted marks make absolutely no difference. The final grades also would make no difference, since the marks come out several months after admission. However, my final marks DO affect scholarships. For example, if I were to get a 7 in any subject (where I was predicted 6 or less), when marks came in, my coordinator would change my mark to a 96 (since a 7 is the equivalent of 96-100 on our transcripts). Thus, if by some miracle I end up getting 7s in everything, my average could jump to a 96. Highly unlikely though.

The term 2,4,6 is not true at all. Your predicted grades are important for university acceptances, but so are your final grades.

For Canadian universities, I can apply with either my predicted grades or my non-IB grades. If I apply with my non-IB grades, then the predicted marks make absolutely no difference. The final grades also would make no difference, since the marks come out several months after admission. However, my final marks DO affect scholarships. For example, if I were to get a 7 in any subject (where I was predicted 6 or less), when marks came in, my coordinator would change my mark to a 96 (since a 7 is the equivalent of 96-100 on our transcripts). Thus, if by some miracle I end up getting 7s in everything, my average could jump to a 96. Highly unlikely though.

^ Yeah pretty much. I only applied to Canadian universities and used my Ontario marks for everything, so my predicteds didn't matter. But finals matter for scholarships.

From what I've heard (not sure if this is true), but if your exam is "lost" in the mail (which happens, though rarely), they use your Predicted Mark as your final mark (since they have nothing else to base your mark on and since the predicted marks get sent to IB in mid-April anyways). So I personally wouldn't bomb your predicted marks just yet.

From what I've heard (not sure if this is true), but if your exam is "lost" in the mail (which happens, though rarely), they use your Predicted Mark as your final mark (since they have nothing else to base your mark on and since the predicted marks get sent to IB in mid-April anyways). So I personally wouldn't bomb your predicted marks just yet.

Waaah... that woud be just mean! Losing the exams? Shouldn't you at least then given the chance to retake? :dead:

Waaah... that woud be just mean! Losing the exams? Shouldn't you at least then given the chance to retake? :dead:

They're not going to rewrite an entire set of exams for someone whose exams got lost in the mail, lol. And it would be unfair as to how much time you got to study, etc. So I guess for convenience, that's what they do.

I heard that IB final grade is useless. The IB predicted grade is more essential.

Is it right that IB predicted grade is based on term 2,4, 6 of the IB years??? ONLY TERM 2,4 AND 6?

If i got great grade in term 3 , but it would not be sent to university? (its so unfair..)

uhh it varies from school to school

in my school, the predicted grades are what the teacher think you have the potential to get, so it's kinda based on our marks throughout the year

as for importance, the finally grade is NOT useless (it used to be) 'cause i think all of the universities are now admission WITH conditions

i got a good predicted, but i'm still under pressure 'cause i actually do need to GET that predicted for my final, or else i lose scholarship, or if i'm bad enough, lost my admission...

• 2 weeks later...

Predicted grades mean much.

applying to elite unis you'll need to have top notch grades in predicted grades and past years of GCSEs or other 10th grade exams too. You can only do this if you have always been a strong and smart worker.

if any of your trimester scores from all subjects added up is bad, that will have an effect on your predicted grade usually.

Offers are not made until unis see predicted grades usually so if you have bad p.g. then don't expect offers.

Once you have an offer, if it is conditional, your final IB grades still matter, if it isn't then predicted grades have just gotten you a place at uni so they are very, very important.