SATs does not seem to matter?!

Forester

From the results of my school and friends abroad, I have found that in this years US admission cycle, there is no apparent correlation between SAT scores and university acceptance.

However that being said, for the ED rounds of ivy league schools, the SAT score standard has still been high, with the median of the admitted people to Dartmouth College being 2300.

It is wonderful that in these past few days there were major celebrations for some of my classmates, as they thanked god that they have been admitted to their supposedly 'reach' schools. Others remain disappointed and anxious after being rejected from their supposedly 'safeties'. When, in the first place, the universities were regarded as their safeties was because of their low SAT median.

The other thing I noticed was that GPA plays a much important role than I previously thought. To my consternation, predicted grades were even compulsory for Yale and Princeton.

Good luck to everyone waiting on the April 1st deadline.

Edited by Forester

Including community colleges, liberal arts colleges, polytechnics, tertiary institutions. America has more smart people, but also more dumb people. I read somewhere that 50% of 16 year olds there do no know where Germany is.

I agree! (after watching the video "Americans are not STUPID" on Youtube)

wtf 3000? wait US population= 300 million

canadian population= 30 million sooo im assuming there are 300 universities/colleges in canada?

lol american schools produce more smarter kids, but obviously with a greater population, theres gonna be smarter ppl. but daym

http://uwaterloo.ca/canu/index.php

There's a list of all Canadian univs, not including colleges... I'm not sure why the page is hosted on a univ site though.

• 2 weeks later...

Some Americans are just plain idiotic,

when a surveyer asked : "How many sides does a traingle have?" The answer was totally unexpected: "Umm.. 2?"

or

"What is a country that starts with U?" "Urrr, I dunno..Utopia?!?!"

But I suppose you get mentally challenged people everywhere in the world, not just in the US.

Edited by MistyRose

• 5 weeks later...

SAT scores matter a little bit but it is not the only thing that matters. you need to meet thier minimum but it is better if you can get above that, but there are so many other facotrs that go into thier acceptance process. it depends on the school year to year how they weigh things but make sure that you have good EC, voulenteer, and then good SAT and IB scores, and then a good GPA and class rank (if applicable).

When you're looking at the upper echelon of colleges its really no surprise that SAT scores don't seem to matter. The way I see it, they matter, but only for basic qualifications. When you look at Yale for example, half the people who apply aren't academically qualified (where they look strictly at SATs, ACTs, GPA, and Predicted Grades). These people are automatically rejected. But once you pass that initial level of qualifications, it really becomes about what you have to offer the University and what they are looking for in terms of extra curriculars, miniority status, and personal resume. The acceptance rates are between 3-6% for some of the Ivys and that's just insane. When you think about it, how hard must if be to select 6 people to admit out of the 50 that qualify for the position?

This explanation was given to a good friend of mine from a Yale admissions officer. (She was deferred then rejected.) I hope that kind of explains why SATs do and do not matter.

• 1 month later...

The SAT is just an aptitude test, if you get over 2200, the colleges will see that you are qualified . Your GPA and extra curricular activities matters way more, the former shows how well you are doing in school and the latter shows the college who you really are, what you are passionate in and special skills that distinguish you from all the other people in the pack with 2200+ SATs.

Is it possible to get into universities in USA for graduate programs if you have not given SATs. i.e. if you do undergraduate in canada and then go to US universities for graduate degree (but without doing SATs in high school)?

Yes of course, SAT is usually to get into the undergraduate program in a university. After undergraduate,depending on what program you want to get into, you have to take another exam. Most people have to take the GRE, the Graduation Record Examination, it's basically the same as the SAT but to get into graduate school. The sections there are out of 800 too. There are also specialize tests for different schools. You have to take MCAT to get into medical school, the LSAT to get into law school and the GMAT if you want to get into a graduate business school. Graduate schools are also very competitive since a lot of the students attending are given preferences over internationals or new applicants.

• 2 weeks later...

When you're looking at the upper echelon of colleges its really no surprise that SAT scores don't seem to matter. The way I see it, they matter, but only for basic qualifications. When you look at Yale for example, half the people who apply aren't academically qualified (where they look strictly at SATs, ACTs, GPA, and Predicted Grades). These people are automatically rejected. But once you pass that initial level of qualifications, it really becomes about what you have to offer the University and what they are looking for in terms of extra curriculars, miniority status, and personal resume. The acceptance rates are between 3-6% for some of the Ivys and that's just insane. When you think about it, how hard must if be to select 6 people to admit out of the 50 that qualify for the position?

This explanation was given to a good friend of mine from a Yale admissions officer. (She was deferred then rejected.) I hope that kind of explains why SATs do and do not matter.

Don't forget legacy admissions. Especially for a certain former US president.