Advise me please - IA scores and finals

Hyperbole

I was informed of my IA grades yesterday, and my motivation completely died, to be honest. I didn't think I was doing that badly, but I was apparently wrong.

Anyway, I'm doing Chemistry SL and my IA score before moderation is 32 points. I guess this could be raised or lowered a point or two, but I don't count on it. As I understand it, this is a weak 6 when converted to the final scale. This disappoints me very much, because I've been aiming for a 7 now that I'm doing it at SL. But I guess this is what I get for trying to do too much in IB1...

So my question is whether it is worth to still study ambitiously. Would I have to have perfect scores on every paper in May in order to achieve a 7? Or is that out of the question entirely now? I think someone who understands the grading system better might be more suited to answer this question than I am myself. (And I guess objectivity helps too! Right now I'm mostly inclined to go hide in a hole, actually.)

In the mock exams we did in February I had 29 out of 30 on Paper 1; 40 out of 50 on Paper 2; and 27 out of 40 on Paper 3 (but there we only had one option - the one I find the hardest). For some reason my teacher said this would have been a strong five if they had been real exams, but I'm not entirely convinced by her calculations.

Is the coveted 7 entirely out of my reach now? (I guess what you should say is "no", because then I might regain the motivation to study for it... :angel: )

Thanks in advance!

Nope trust me, according the my teacher, most of the students who get certain grades like 6 or 7 overall only get it by getting that grade in the exams. As victoria said, its only 24%..

Do not give up, speaking of which, I got 33 on mine, and im HL, and going into something mdeical, so definatly aiming at 7, therefore I am not giving up. :angel:

Assuming 85% overall = 7 (highballed for safety reasons obviously):

if moderated to 32/48
you will need 90.7% (on the exam)

if moderated to 31/48,
you will need 91.4%

if moderated to 30/48
you will need 92.1%

Now if we assume 7 = 82%, which is more realistic:

if moderated to 32/48
you will need 86.8%

if moderated to 31/48,
you will need 87.5%

if moderated to 30/48
you will need 88.2%

It's manageable regardless of what the 'real' grade boundaries are but you'll need to do a fair bit of work.

Two things: don't let the predicted grade affect you in any way (it's not definitive). Study hard for the exam; try to take advantage of the fact that Paper 3 is on a separate day to study both Options in depth. Anyway, if you have scored those grades in your mock exams, I'm pretty sure that you can achieve a 7. G'luck!

[quote]Assuming 85% overall = 7 (highballed for safety reasons obviously):

if moderated to 32/48
you will need 90.7% (on the exam)

if moderated to 31/48,
you will need 91.4%

if moderated to 30/48
you will need 92.1%

Now if we assume 7 = 82%, which is more realistic:

if moderated to 32/48
you will need 86.8%

if moderated to 31/48,
you will need 87.5%

if moderated to 30/48
you will need 88.2%

It's manageable regardless of what the 'real' grade boundaries are but you'll need to do a fair bit of work.[/quote]

Wow, Irene since you actually calculated this, which I dont know how to, what would 33/48 be? THANKS :o .

If you can tell me how you did it, it wuold be great so I know how much I need for each exam.

It's a weighted average.

So overall % needed (i.e. 85% or 82% or whatever) = 0.24(mark on IAs/48) + 0.76(% on exam papers)

It should be approximately right but the only doubts I have about that ^^^ weighted average is for math... since P3 has different grade boundaries and I don't know how that would work. :o

[quote name='Irene' post='42467' date='Apr 4 2009, 09:25 AM']It's a weighted average.

So overall % needed (i.e. 85% or 82% or whatever) = 0.24(mark on IAs/48) + 0.76(% on exam papers)

It should be approximately right but the only doubts I have about that ^^^ weighted average is for math... since P3 has different grade boundaries and I don't know how that would work. :o [/quote]
For math they hav different overall boundaries as well because of Paper 3.